• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Turquoise Conure Companion!

mmsyring

Moving in
Real Name
Madison
Hi everyone!

My name is Madison, I'm 22 years old, and I recently adopted a lovely turquoise conure! I am still waiting on the gender test results to come back, but Frankie is beautiful one and a half year old babe! I'm excited to connect with other bird companions and increase the knowledge base I have.

Frankie is very sweet and has already displayed a variety of likes and dislikes. The likes include: cold baths in the evening, strawberries, and head scritches! Frankie's dislikes include: the NPR radio broadcaster's voice, stepping up, and bedtime!

I have been trying to get Frankie to step up for around a month now, if anyone has helpful tips on how to be successful in this I would greatly appreciate it! Frankie has no issues taking food from my hands or letting me give head scritches, but for some reason stepping up has been a big hurdle. The only time Frankie stepped up on my hand was at the store where I got him/her!

I have attached a photo of Frankie for anyone who is curious, and no worries, I have since gotten a proper cage for him/her! :)

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
:welave:Frankie is adorable! I absolutely LOVE green cheeks, especially turquoise!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Welcome!

If he spent any great length of time at the pet store they may not have given him much time in handling... but enough to be used to the store employees since they had more contact with him in his care. Even though he did step up at the store he may be reluctant to do so now because his whole world and environment has changed. He's still getting used to you as his caretaker, food source, a different cage, sounds unlike the store... It's great that he allows you to scratch his head showing he has some trust in you. Have you tried getting him to step up on a hand held perch similar to what you have in his cage? It comes in handy as well when they're just out of reach if they fly somewhere in the house and you need a bit more height to reach them. Get him used to the perch and then work on transferring him to your hand. Holding his favorite treat with one hand just out of reach may give him a little extra courage to step onto your free hand. Let him make the decisions as to what he wants to do. If he steps up and ends up looking back at his cage (wanting to return to it) let him go back to the cage. It's where his safety zone is. It may take weeks, months or a few days for him to feel safer with you to want to stay with you. Have patience and enjoy him. You have a lot more to learn about his personality as he grows more comfortable in your home.

❤ HIɊᗰᗩ ❤

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hiqma
Congrats, :tgcc: mama.... hope he/she brings u great amoun tof happiness. Im waiting for my GCC. hope hell be with me by this Thursday. Ive set everything up but am anxious to receive him/her....

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Congratulations! I’ve had my YSGCC for six years and she is a dream to live with :swoon:

mmsyring

Moving in
Real Name
Madison
Congrats, :tgcc: mama.... hope he/she brings u great amoun tof happiness. Im waiting for my GCC. hope hell be with me by this Thursday. Ive set everything up but am anxious to receive him/her....
Frankie has been such a great companion so far! And getting any new bird is bound to make you nervous, but I’m sure you guys will be best friends in no time!

mmsyring

Moving in
Real Name
Madison
Welcome!

If he spent any great length of time at the pet store they may not have given him much time in handling... but enough to be used to the store employees since they had more contact with him in his care. Even though he did step up at the store he may be reluctant to do so now because his whole world and environment has changed. He's still getting used to you as his caretaker, food source, a different cage, sounds unlike the store... It's great that he allows you to scratch his head showing he has some trust in you. Have you tried getting him to step up on a hand held perch similar to what you have in his cage? It comes in handy as well when they're just out of reach if they fly somewhere in the house and you need a bit more height to reach them. Get him used to the perch and then work on transferring him to your hand. Holding his favorite treat with one hand just out of reach may give him a little extra courage to step onto your free hand. Let him make the decisions as to what he wants to do. If he steps up and ends up looking back at his cage (wanting to return to it) let him go back to the cage. It's where his safety zone is. It may take weeks, months or a few days for him to feel safer with you to want to stay with you. Have patience and enjoy him. You have a lot more to learn about his personality as he grows more comfortable in your home.
Thank you so much, this is great advice! I will try working with him on a handheld perch, I think that would be a great step in the right direction. Using his favorite treats just out of reach could also be a great way to introduce him to hands. It’s been about a month so far, so he may just take a little extra time with it! Thank you again!

❤ HIɊᗰᗩ ❤

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hiqma
Welcome!

This seems great advice for me too. Thank You. I wanted to know if there are any specific medicine/ emergency medicine or supplements I need to buy for my GCC, he's 2 moths old. I only have a cuttlebone in his cage for now. ive stocked up on normal food and seeds. TIA

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Welcome to AA...

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Frankie is adorable :heart: Welcome to the forum!!!

:welcomegroup:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This seems great advice for me too. Thank You. I wanted to know if there are any specific medicine/ emergency medicine or supplements I need to buy for my GCC, he's 2 moths old. I only have a cuttlebone in his cage for now. ive stocked up on normal food and seeds. TIA
What do you consider normal food? As long as you have him on a quality pelleted diet ( very little seed at all), fresh vegetables, very little fruit, you don't need any supplements. Trash the cuttlebone.... it doesn't add anything of quality to his needs.

❤ HIɊᗰᗩ ❤

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hiqma
Nor
What do you consider normal food? As long as you have him on a quality pelleted diet ( very little seed at all), fresh vegetables, very little fruit, you don't need any supplements. Trash the cuttlebone.... it doesn't add anything of quality to his needs.
i dont have pallets where i live, so im feeding him veggies most of the day....Normal as in lentils n peas to sprout n seasonal veggies that are allowed :) however i do serve seeds during the middle of the day when im away.....i was so stressed the first two weeks, ive understood his nature and things are going well atm.

ConureMama

Sitting on the front steps
Trash the cuttlebone.... it doesn't add anything of quality to his needs.
Sooooo I’m having an issue attaching / hanging a cuttlebone and came across your comment in my search. Can you tell me your thoughts please. I was under the impression it’s needed for calcium. No??