• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to this forum need help

Matthew

Moving in
I have 2 parrotlets who are my life recently 1 of the birds looks scruffy and struggling to fly there are 4 or 5 loose feathers hanging of bird is this something I should be worried about or is it normal he/she is eating and drinking bouncing round cage please help me thank you

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have a photo?

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Looks like moulting I'm not to sure though

Matthew

Moving in
That made me feel bit better how long could this last if you don't mind me asking feel so sorry for little fella climbing around cage instead of flying like I said he eating drinking

Mantis64

Moulting normally lasts a few weeks although the feathers tend to fall out. I'm not an expert and haven't had birds for that long. Hopefully someone more experienced can give some advice. Try not to worry to much.

Matthew

Moving in
What protein will help sorry he usually just eats seeds no matter how much fruit or veg I give he won't eat it he also eats nutribird fruit pellets loves them

Mantis64

I give egg white, I boil the egg peel it and let it cool down and give the egg white.
Also are the feathers falling out.

Matthew

Moving in
Sorry didn't see last bit you wrote couple feathers fallen out some seems he only got 2 hanging off then another day seems like 4 or 5 hanging he tries is hardest to get them out

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Hi and welcome!

yep it looks to me like moulting as well, looks just like my Pixie did and my love bird looks similar as well. You can also check out talkparrotlets.com, a site dedicated to p’letts and their care. Between there and here you will get the best advice to help you out.

lovely little guys, makes me miss my 2 babies...gone to rainbow bridge now.

Matthew

Moving in
Can't belive the impact they made on my life never thought I could fall for them they used to be just silly birds. Lol now they my life sorry bout your birds too thank you so much

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He also might just be rough on his feathers... those little guys are so rough--and-tumble. :)

For protein, you can give crushed nuts, boiled eggs, quinoa.... basically anything that is healthy for you is healthy for them too. Even a little cooked chicken is enjoyed now and then (not too much)

You can feed a dry egg food if you do not want to cook eggs. And pellet food also has protein. My 4 parrotlets all eat differently :D making it tough on me. One gets in his dish and throws all the food to the floor if I don't give what he wants.

During molt it is good to use a multivitamin made for birds.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Can't belive the impact they made on my life never thought I could fall for them they used to be just silly birds. Lol now they my life sorry bout your birds too thank you so much
Exactly!