• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new to Pionus behavior... 2 questions

Hobart

Moving in
Hi everyone:
Last week hubby and I went to pick up a conure being advertised on Craigslist for rehoming. Walked in and were "whoa... that's no conure!" We took the bird because he obviously wasn't in a real good situation. (dogs, cats, 5 kids, no toys, diet of almonds and goldfish crackers- poor little thing.). It took us a full day to identify him as a Maximillian Pionus as we were barely aware that Pionus exist. All we know about his history is that he is over 5 years old. The folks who had him found him in their yard, kept him for 5 years, then sold him (for super super cheap) to us. Apparently they believed he was a conure for 5 years. We have only had Umbrella Cockatoos and various conures and this one is definitely a different sort of character since I've rather obviously never had a "hands off" bird. I have been reading everything I can find about Pionus behavior, specifically Maxis, but I have not found information about the following questions:
#1. We uncover his cage at sunup and I change cage paper and give him morning chop with pellets. I think he's not sure it's food but we will work on that. My question is that he seems to wake up really really slowly and wants to sit and stretch for about an hour before he even checks out the food. He will come out and sit on the cage door during this wake up time but no other activity. Does your Pionus do this or is it odd? My other guys have always been eager to get breakfast as soon as possible. He's afraid of spoons so offering food that way isn't possible right now. He does eat pellets and nutriberries before bed so I don't think he's going to bed hungry and his poopys look good. Fruit makes him watery, and is this because he isn't eating much for veggies?
#2. He seems happy enough but he'll sometimes hold his wings out slightly and flutter them. Not exactly like a baby wanting to be fed - not nearly that intense - but it reminds me of that behavior except he doesn't squat down. Since I know he has to be older than 5 years a baby activity doesn't seem likely. Does anyone have an idea of what this behavior might mean? He flies to both of us and will sit for a brief time and chatters and cheeps a lot. He's also started chewing on toys.

We have a check-up scheduled on Monday with an Avian Vet and I asked for a DNA test also because we have no idea what he/she is.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
yes, @Dartman will have ideas for you
I fostered a blueheaded pionus for a bit. I feel like Pis are very "zen" compared to other birds and certainly to cockatoos.
The wing fluttering is what I always take to mean "I want" and you have to figure out the something. Often it is they want a ride to somewhere.

Hobart

Moving in
Thanks. That sounds like a good place to start with the wing flutterings.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My reply and your response fell through the cracks of a system upgrade but I know you read what I posted and I got your reply in a email that pointed here and gave a error message. Not sure if they are going to be able to retrieve the missing stuff but it MAY show back up later.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Pionus do things on their own time in their own way. My BH has to stretch out before doing anything in the morning. That said he visits the food bowl often. He eats a little here and there all day. It sounds so far like he/she is doing well.