• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to me YNA

Annn

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! :greet14: I recently got a 35 year old YNA from a super nice couple that due to health issues and nippy behavior couldn't spend the time they used to with him. The thing is they pet and scratched this lil guy on the back....a lot. They thought the behavior was cute. He's been with us for almost a week and he's doing surprisingly well but you can tell he misses the full pets he used to get since we only touch his head. He'll get on my lap and when I start to scratch his head, he leans down and flares his feathers in preparation. When I don't touch him on his back you can tell he's disappointed and unhappy. My worry is will this make him resentful and bitey? He starts to get closer presumeably for more touch but I don't let him get too close because I don't want to get bit on the arm or softer areas. I've stalked these forums for a long while for good bird info but haven't found anything on this.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great question, don't know. I'll tag someone that is familiar with rescue @sunnysmom

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I have a cockatoo I took in from an older couple, whom I recently found out petted her inappropriately (no shame on them, I don’t think they knew). It resulted in a lot of feather barbering. Looking back at when I first got her, some of her behavior was indicative of her wanting more pets from me - down her back, under her wings, etc.

She was never nippy, but came across as very very anxious. It did take some time (probably 6 months or so) but she did eventually seem to understand that I wouldn’t be petting her that way. She’s cut waaaaay back on the feather barbering, and isn’t nearly as anxious as she used to be.

Annn

Checking out the neighborhood
Yeah, you could tell the couple wasnt trying to overstimulate him. They just thought he liked it...which he did.

Our guy was VERY nippy with them, us not so much. He would full on strike at them if he didnt like something but so far with us he's been gentle. He'll hold your finger and give you a moment to know you need to change something and then when you stop he's good. I think him only seeing us as companions helps a lot.

My worry is if he thinks we aren't listening to him when he wants all the pets that he'll go to the biting and lunging he did with them.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You may be in the honeymoon period too.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You don't want this bird to think you're more than a friend. So appropriate petting only. I had a foster bird that would raise his wings constantly for me to scratch him under the wings. I would ignore it. Eventually he stopped and happily let me just pet his head. But if he met a new person, he would raise those wings. I would laugh and tell him nice try. A trainer I know says new home is the time to throw at bad habits.