• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Lorikeets :) help please.

Nelly85

Checking out the neighborhood
Recently (two days ago) found a lorikeet on the road and a workmate saved him. (Or her, I don’t know)

i don’t have a vet close by but obviously will take him sooner than I would normally be headed that way, if needed.

so he’s pretty chill, happy... did originally bite and screech when he was first rescued and we went near him, but now he will happily walk on my hand and sit there.

but, I’ve noticed weird poop (I think it’s weird, but I don’t know) and also, the picking at his feathers. I’m just worried it’s more than stress.
He plays in his water bowl, drinks water from the other water thing, eats, plays with his toys and seems generally happy - but is constantly at his feathers. Mostly his neck (although, it doesn’t look nearly as bad this morning as the photo I’ve posted!) but he’s picking(?) at everything lol.
2F4C7A83-AC7B-487A-BD53-71467B073B56.jpeg
I’m doing this from my phone, so I hope the photo doesn’t break anything. I have a video of him picking, and also his poop - just for advice before I can get him to the vet.
Please be kind. :) I want to learn as much as I can to give him a chance!

Nelly85

0E920A84-B6CC-454B-9899-269FA2B4FEF1.jpeg
i don’t know if you can see that, or if I should have clicked full image?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm not terribly familiar with lorikeets. Have you looked up his species to see what his natural dietary needs are? I would guess he has an injury to his chest as to why he's picking at it. A vet visit for sure. Lories and lorikeets have pretty wet poo naturally. What are you feeding him?

Nelly85

Yeah I have. :)

i was also recommended this Food: it’s called “complete lorikeet”

he seems a bit better tonight, the neck doesn’t look like that at all, so I think it was just wet, he does however still have a patch of missing feathers.

I’m going to the vet with him next week. :) D652E4B7-286C-43B3-BB08-86815EBF6E2E.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's a cutie. I know lorikeets do have liquidy droppings but other than that my knowledge is pretty limited. (And welcome to the forum!)