• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to forum, looking for some advise

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Zupreem makes weaning pellet-sticks for foot toys! The fact they're called weaning treats is misleading since they're for birds of any age. They're a great addition to treat cups and forage baskets.

With all birds, patience is the key. I know this is about a special needs cockatiel, but I love this story and it explains from a bird's perspective.My Story- A first hand account by Lord Maxwell Studmuffin | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Tarosoul

Moving in
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting your 'tiel. Bigger cage, natural wood perches, platforms, rope perches, ladders, swing and more toys. I noticed the cage has lift up doors also known as guillotine doors. You may want to zip tie those. Some birds have been able to figure out how to lift them up and then come out and there is always the possibility that the door will come down on them on the way out. When you get a bigger cage do not get one with the lift up doors.
My 'tiels get Volkman cockatiel no sunflower and Caitec Oven Fresh Bites Pellets (small size). They also get mixed veggies. Every now and then they get millet, Avicakes or Lafeber popcorn as treats.
Have you named your 'tiel yet? How old is he?

Yes his name is osha idk how to right the pronunciation though. And when I got him they said he was young I just don’t know the exact age, but I’m planning to take him to get a check up soon just to make sure he’s healthy. And I have been having trouble with him lifting up the cage door every now and then, I think he just does it to get my attention when I’m doing my homework, I’ve tied the main cage door just so he won’t keep doing it again but he still does once and a while. I’m kinda experimenting what fruits and veggies he favors and what he doesn’t like. And I just got some money recently so I’m going to go to a pet store and like a dollar tree to get him pellets,treats and toys. Do you know how to tell if your teil is comfortable in there new home? I’m not too sure and I wanna start trying to hand train him soon. Im thinking he is a bit trained to some sort because I’ve opened his cage so he can chill on top of the cage. But he just flew on my bed instead, I think he thought I was asleep or something(I was watching tv). I had a hard time getting him back in his cage I had him step up on my finger and after a few tries he got on my finger and I led him to his cage. But yeah I’m going to get him a different perch like maybe today and lots of toys. And I’m saving up for a bigger cage.

Tarosoul

Moving in
Bird poop potentially has bacteria that can make them sick. In the wild, cockatiels drink from lakes ofte n and don't need to worry about the water being dirty. In captivity, they do. Change the soiled water asap
Yeah I always change the water every morning before I go to school. I’m going to get another water bowel that he can drink from and the other one can be where he poops because he seems to really wanna poop in that bowl.