• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to finches

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Although on second thoughts it may be better to remove nests from the aviary once the finches have had there babies and select a few pairs for breeding in cages. I would really like to pair up the two black cheek finches but right now the male black cheek is already with two of the white hens. I'll leave things as they are for now and then once they have had there first lot of babies I start some rearranging and pairing.
Just note that zebra finches form very close bonds. I personally would never seperate a pair that is a bonded. They love each other you know :heart2:

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Just note that zebra finches form very close bonds. I personally would never seperate a pair that is a bonded. They love each other you know :heart2:
In that case I'll leave them as they are and just move the babies into the sales cages once they are ready. I have notice there are another 3 to a single nest.

Blueszz

Meeting neighbors
I would really like to pair up the two black cheek finches but right now the male black cheek is already with two of the white hens.
I don't know about color genetics from these finches but black cheek x black cheek doesn't have to give you black cheek chicks. Also black cheek x white still might give you a black cheek chicks. It all depends on which genes are dominant. I guess there will be a lot of info about online as these finches are very popular.

What I would worry most about is if the parents being unrelated or not.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
The Canaries were both chirping today they must think its summer time again now that they are indoors with the morning sun shining through the window. I think they are both males. They stick together in the aviary.

p3.jpg p2.jpg p1.jpg

Blueszz

Meeting neighbors
Hopefully they are female and male. 2 Males can be very feisty towards each other. Monitor them closely especially when it's breeding season.

What is the reason you believe both are males?

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Hopefully they are female and male. 2 Males can be very feisty towards each other. Monitor them closely especially when it's breeding season.

What is the reason you believe both are males?
The person who I got them from said one is a definite male and the other he wasn't sure about. They were both making the same cheeping noises this morning almost going into singing and I believe only the males sing.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
There is a very strong smell of incense. It smells like somebody is burning several packs of them. A neighbor died recently and today they are gutting out his flat ready for fumigation. My birds are in the living room I don't think any doers can get into my living room. the living room door is solid and kept shut. I'm really hoping that I'm not going to find my birds dead because the council are too stupid to realize what effect this can have on other neighbors. The incense smell is very strong. The living room is sealed off and I've got my bedroom and kitchen windows open for air flow. I'm going to be so peed off with the council if my birds all die now.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
All incense smoke and fragrance has gone now and I've checked on my birds and all appear to be fine.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
All incense smoke and fragrance has gone now and I've checked on my birds and all appear to be fine.
I would ensure you run a fan to keep things circulated. Power up your range hood and bathroom fans too. I know it would be a nightmare, but if it continues to be smoky, you could also try removing your birds from the apt. Do you have any friends or family who are nearby that you can temporarily bring your birds in their carriers to?

You are correct in being worried. They can die from fumes.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I would ensure you run a fan to keep things circulated. Power up your range hood and bathroom fans too. I know it would be a nightmare, but if it continues to be smoky, you could also try removing your birds from the apt. Do you have any friends or family who are nearby that you can temporarily bring your birds in their carriers to?

You are correct in being worried. They can die from fumes.
I've left all windows open and its cleared it all. It would be tricky moving the birds out of my apartment as they are in an aviary. I don't really have any place I can take them too, my mother uses chemicals in her house so I wouldn't be too comfortable taking them there and has cats and foxes that roam her garden. It should be fine now as long as its not going to happen again I think it be ok. I'll leave all the windows open for the rest of the night. I'll also leave a note downstairs.

Last edited:

Jogging around the block
In my experience 2 males will be fine with each other, as long as there is enough space and food and water locations. It is often when there is not enough space for a bird to back off there is fighting to be worried about. Which you have plenty of space for them to get away from each other if need be. It would be ideal for breeding and dynamics if one is male and one female though.
Glad your birds seem to be okay with the fumes.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
There was a bit of fighting with the two canaries over the food but nothing to drastic. I will be looking for a couple of females for them for breeding season then I will seperate one of the males into a breeding cage with a female. That way I've a breeding pair in the aviary and another breeding pair in a cage.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I'm glad all my birds are ok. That living room door did a good job at keeping the smoke out and I stuffed lots of hay under the door so that nothing got through the gap. Its so easy to lose birds and all's it takes is some careless people and a bit of smoke. The communal hallway was full of incense smoke all the way up the stairs. Its not over just yet because they will be doing the final part of the fumigation within the next few weeks. I'm really hoping that isn't going to affect my birds. I'll be keeping that living room door shut and will hope that its enough protection.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I am planing to have more food bowls I just haven't had the time to get them some more bowls. I would like to try build them some natural food bowls by carving some into some tree stumps or something. They can also scatter there seeds so I like to keep it all contained by putting a tray underneath.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I got some more food bowls and trays plus a larger bowl that they can use as a bird bath. Those will do for now until I get around to making them some natural ones from tree stumps I found.

All the birds seem to be over preening themselves today. I'm hoping that they are just molting and its not mites or anything like that. I'm going to order some S76 and anything else I can find that might be helpful to have on hand just encase. Hopefully its just molting as temperatures are dropping now.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
It happened again. This afternoon the block was full of incense smoke. I was in the kitchen and I could smell the aroma of incense I opened my front door to find the block filling up with incense smoke once again. I went downstairs to investigate where I saw my housing officer and some cleaners. I explained to my housing officer that I have birds and that incense is deadly to them and her response was (The incense are perfectly safe and that if my birds die then perhaps they died from something else) There is no telling some people because they know best :grumpy: I felt so stressed for the rest of the day. Luckily it wasn't as much as last time. I'm not sure when I will see the the last of these incense smoke clouds. If any of that smoke gets into my living room next time, that is the end of my birds. Its so frustrating. I finally get setup and I have to keep dealing with this. I have logged a complaint with housing about it but I expect nothing will be done.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
What I could really do with is a good seal around the main front door to keeps toxins from coming into the apartment. I'm still thinking of solutions of what I could use. I don't think they make door seals front doors.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Masking tape can work reasonably well, temporarily.