• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to budgies

Chatot5

Meeting neighbors
Hi,

My son just brought home a budgie, who is 34 days old now. Is this extremely young? He was parent raised. I am wondering if we need to feed anything special or take any particular steps like weighing him regularly?

Is there an online website with reliable information? We have a lot of books but most of them are extremely old and I'm finding outdated information.

Thank you! DSC00193.JPG

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello, Welcome,

Did they tell your son what this bird was eating? You will want to replicate that at home. Watch out for signs of not eating - no seed hulls or pecked at veggies, as well as weight loss.

Is there an online website with reliable information?
What sort of information are you looking for?
There´s plenty to read here. Members experiences and links to all sorts of articles.

You may want to also consider allowing his wings to grow in the future.

Chatot5

Meeting neighbors
Hi

He's eating Higgins seed mix, millet spray and herb salad. I was just concerned because from what I'm reading it seems like people usually send them home at 7-8 weeks, not 4 weeks. Will he be okay?

I also feel like he's not drinking, but then I read that he might only be drinking when no one is around.

Thanks!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh my that is a baby still. A scale is a good thing and birds are weighed in grams. Some kitchen scales weigh in grams. You can offer a small, shallow dish with a few chopped veggies like broccoli, kale, shredded carrot. When he is older you can add other veggies. Young budgies are often a little clumsy at first in a cage so you may want to keep perches low in the beginning. You may not see the bird drinking water. You can hang wet kale in the cage bars and he will get moisture from that. Or you can float some greens in a shallow dish of water on cage floor.

It is necessary to bird proof your room the bird is in so no fly accidents occur. Make sure to cover all reflective surfaces, especially windows. He is not an experienced flyer. Are his flight feather cut? Breeders often do that. Keep toilet seat down, be careful when opening outside doors as birds can fly right outdoors. Also be careful about the toys you buy for him. Many are not safe sold in a pet store. We have venders here on AA that sell bird safe toys like @Mizzely. Make sure the bird room is warm warm because he is so young.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good to look through this thread from beginning to end.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:congrats5:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome!

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Yes that is quite young. But if he/she is eating and starting to explore the cage then that's good. They will find the water and yes it is common for them to not eat/drink around you at first. A scale could come in handy if only to keep you from worrying. You have a beautiful little budgie. Please consider allowing those wings to grow out. Welcome to the Avenue :welcomesign:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'd really like to see a natural unaltered photo of him - in that photo he looks female and his colouring looks totally fake.
Flights take 6-8 weeks to grow and start growing around 2 weeks, so I'd expect them to be barely visible. His tail is short too, kinda confirming his age.

Chatot5

Meeting neighbors
I'd really like to see a natural unaltered photo of him - in that photo he looks female and his colouring looks totally fake.
Flights take 6-8 weeks to grow and start growing around 2 weeks, so I'd expect them to be barely visible. His tail is short too, kinda confirming his age.
haha - my son took the picture using the “yellow” setting so it makes any other colors turn black and white.
Here is a not great pic of him with my husband.
Based on the cere do you think it’s a girl?

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Really cute. Is his cere blue or lavender? Hard to tell in the photo. Natural window is best for photo.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
haha - my son took the picture using the “yellow” setting so it makes any other colors turn black and white.
Here is a not great pic of him with my husband.
Will need a close up front facing photo (no filters please, lol) taken in natural light.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Does look like a boy to me, and very handsome too. He's Recessive pied too, so he'll keep that cere colour into adulthood.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Your budgie is beautiful. What is his name.

Chatot5

Meeting neighbors
Does look like a boy to me, and very handsome too. He's Recessive pied too, so he'll keep that cere colour into adulthood.
Oh interesting! I didn't realize it wouldn't change.

The pet store let us visit with all the budgies. My son initially wanted a blue one, but this guy was the friendliest. His name is Chatot, after a Pokemon character. :)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great head shot. He's too cute. :)