• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Birds

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Hi all! I've been lurking around the forums for a little bit, reading here and there and trying to decide what bird is right for me. I've worked at an animal shelter for the last 3 years and we've had numerous birds come through, from budgies to macaws and everything in between. Ever since we've had some hand-tamed cockatiels and Pionus I've been wanting a bird of my own.

I've been wanting something small, not too loud (nothing like a macaw voicing his opinion) and I *think* I've settled on a lovebird. I'm looking at a pair of peach-faced right now that are "very young, and were hand-tamed when we got them" but have been somewhat ignored it sounds like. From all I've read if you want one to be friendly you want to get it a friend, but they also look so cute snuggled up with a friend and I've heard trying to bond them with another bird can be kinda scary.

I'm excited to take part in the forums soon with whatever kind of bird I decide on!
-Moshimaru

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
What are u looking for in a bird? Can you deal with a little noise.Do you want an aggressive species (Lovebird)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I *think* I've settled on a lovebird. I'm looking at a pair of peach-faced right now that are "very young, and were hand-tamed when we got them" but have been somewhat ignored it sounds like. From all I've read if you want one to be friendly you want to get it a friend, but they also look so cute snuggled up with a friend and I've heard trying to bond them with another bird can be kinda scary.

I'm excited to take part in the forums soon with whatever kind of bird I decide on!
-Moshimaru

AA Welcome
A young pair of lovies could be nice. Takes some of the pressure off you & you get to see them interact as birds.
If they were handfed & tame then you have a good chance of forming a bond with them too.

Check them out again. See how you feel about them
Takes some pictures....we love pictures...

:sunflower:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Matt

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lovebirds are incredibly awesome, especially when they're open to being friends with you. These might not be as they're already a pair, but...

Mine make me laugh every day.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Two lovebirds are gonna be bonded to each other and not you your best to get one hand reared and then later get another.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
:welcome2:
Welcome to the avenue.
Lovies are great birds to have, but if these two are bonded it might make forming a relationship with them harder. Not impossible, but a bit more difficult. Because you said you haven't owned a bird before, I'd recommend a single bird. But if these two are for you, let it happen! :)
I hope you find the right bird for you, and we love pictures. :D

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
I agree -- a pair of lovebirds might bond to each other and not be interested in you. A Pionus may be a little larger than you are looking for, but they are relatively quiet and make wonderful pets. Cockatiels are nice too. Reading about the various species here may help you decide.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Meeting the pair would be your best bet at figuring out how "tame" they are. If they seem interested in you but are nippy and/or don't want to step up then you have a very strong chance of working with them till they become tame.

At the school I work with we have nearly all of our lovebirds in pairs and while they are bonded to each other, we can still readily handle all of them. We have one pair that act as ambassador birdies and love interacting with people; we just have to make sure they stay in each others sight :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.