• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Birds! What should I get?

EgoLobster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kenzie
Hey! I’m kinda new around here and my last thread was discussing my sister’s neglected Conure.

Ive started to like birds a lot more, and I want one of my own! Of course Im new to the whole thing so Im not gonna hop in with any bird like a Conure or Parrot.

I was actually most heavily thinking about a Zebra Finch. I think they’re really pretty and funny little birds, but I’ve heard they’re not the easiest to befriend. Is this true? If so, maybe a Canary would be better?

Ive owned a budgie in the past when I was younger, but I’m thinking about getting something different this time. Any ideas or suggestions? Preferably not something super high maintenance due to me working both school and art commissions, I wouldn’t want a bird to live without the proper care it needs. I could take the bird out maybe 20-30m a day!

Very excited to see what y’all think!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Canaries sound lovely; I will own one one day. I think zebra finches look cute too & wouldn't be too high maintenance.

Any chance your sister would give you her conure if she's neglecting it?

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Zebra finches typically are very skittish and can be a nice bird if u want something more hands off but u would need to get a small click of them 2-6 to keep them happy, canaries can also be nice but once again more hands off but they do seem to enjoy human interaction more than finches @jh81 @Destiny

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Canaries and finches are mostly hands off. I've never met a tame canary or finch, but you can get lucky. I have heard of canaries that tolerate handling, but nothing really more. Never heard of a finch that allowed touching or handling. Both can make great pets, but mostly to look at and listen to.

Pigeons and doves are another great option, usually more tame and laid back. Gentle and quiet, don't bite and often the closest you can get to a "cuddly" bird.

There are so many great options, Good luck finding the perfect pet!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree a pigeon or dove could be an excellent bird for you

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
Pigeons and doves are fabulous pets! I have, um, 14 pigeons. I love them all, they are quirky and truly smart birds! They aren’t racing pigeons but they still have great homing ability. there are many breeds of pigeons, some look fancy(twice divorced pigeons), others look like swallows or chickens! Jacobins, tumblers, rollers, and trumpeter pigeons are all great pigeons.
You can hand tame a young pigeon or dove very easily. I was gifted a fledgling dove that was found floating in the harbor. It only took two weeks for her to eat from my hand. After she got her confidence she flew free, that was last autumn. She kept coming back alone and would land on her old aviary and coo. This spring however she brought a friend with! She’s not hand tame anymore, but a wild bird once more. If it’s that easy to tame a wild bird, I can only imagine how easy a young domestic dove could be.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
If you're open to any bird and have the space, chickens are wonderful, friendly birds.

triciakoontz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Trish Koontz
I second chickens! Very fun, very personable, very trainable, fine if you ignore them for two days (NOT ignore their care!!!) AND...

You get eggs!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If we're considering other species, how about budgies?! Awesome, little birds. :xflove:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
If we're considering other species, how about budgies?! Awesome, little birds. :xflove:
OP said they'd owned budgies before and were wanting something different. But i agree wonderful little birds!!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Canary’s and Zebrafinches are wonderful starter birds. I would definatly advise them. Handling a bird is not the same as handling a dog or a rabbit, so you might want to hold off on that untill you are a few years in and have learned the general bird care. You say you had a budgie when you where younger, but do you know if you handled it correctly? (And a bird not dying does not qualify as handling it correctly :rofl: ) If so, then pidgeons or chickens are indeed good birds, although i consider them a few steps above zebrafinches and canary’s in regards to care and keeping them healthy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I could take the bird out maybe 20-30m a day!
Given this small amount of time you can offer to the birds, I would advise you go for a pair of something.
They might not be as hand tame as you´d like, but given that you can only offer a few minutes per day, it´s not fair to keep a single bird and have them waiting for you for over 23 hours.
A couple of finches, or diamond doves or something like that would be nice :)

Have you thought about a small flock of quail? Though I admit I know next to nothing about them nor their needs, @Destiny or @jh81 can hopefully give you more info on those

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Depending on the size of the cage, this would indeed be the best idea! I forgot to say that. I keep only pairs at the minimum, never a single bird :)

Zebrafinches are very easy in terms of space and care, though i firmly believe you should always maximize the space any bird lives in. Canary’s are easy, but can be a bit territorial, though this hardly ever leads to serious wounds, most just “squabble” (is that a term for little fights?)

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Maybe you should see how you like your sister's conure. Take care of it for awhile and see if it fits you. Maybe you find out that you'd be willing to push some time enough for your conure. You never know!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award