• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Birds: Choosing a Companion?

Dille

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone! I'm not yet a bird owner but I'm very seriously considering it and collecting all the research I can on the subject. The species I'm most seriously considering are budgies, finches, and--most seriously of all--ringneck doves. I'm looking at different breeder option but I have found someone who is wrapping up their breeding season for ringnecks and will have some nice hand-reared chicks available soon. I haven't got anything bought yet so I'm hoping they won't mind holding a pair til the beginning of September, ideally.

I have a few questions that I would really appreciate input or opinions on!

First off--the housing.
I plan to house whatever species I get in a cage of at least 31 x 20.5 x 53 inches, since that is the largest I can roll from a private office where the birds would sleep out to the balcony where they could get their sunshine. I know a flight cage of that size would work well for budgies or finches but is there anything I should consider if I choose to go with doves? I would provide flat platforms and cover the wire to protect their feet of course.

Second--the dust.
I know finches have the benefit of being low dust, with budgies being dustier and doves being dustier still. I am allergic to cats, dogs, horses, and hamsters, but haven't yet experienced a reaction to birds. Is that something I need to really thoroughly test to be on the safe side? I can't find anyone near me who owns doves, not even a pet store oddly enough, but I'd love to be able to interact with a bird before investing a lot of money into a pair only to find I'm allergic. I did go to one pet store and...huff a bit of budgie dander, just to see if I was sensitive to that at least and I had no reaction. That sounds about as weird as it probably was to watch. Is more exposure than that a good idea?

I've been assured that if I'm only keeping a pair that wiping down the walls and floor around the cage every other day would be enough to keep the dust under control--is that what you guys have experienced? Some sources say that dove and tiel dust is so abundant that I'll need to either get used to living in a heap of it or change my air filter every week, which seems excessive.

Third--vacation care
Most sources I've found say that finches do very well on their own for up to a week if you use gravity feeders and they are trained to use water bottles, budgies can't go for quite so long without being checked in on, and while I can't find much info on doves some say the max time they can go unchecked is two full days. I leave town for a full week no more than two times a year--am I going to have to rely on a neighbor to visit them often?

Fourth--lighting needs
I've read that doves need sunlight that is unfiltered by glass. I'm happy to wheel a flight cage onto the balcony for them but I live in a Northern State where that won't be an option all year round. What do you guys suggest/what have you experienced when dealing with that?

The process of researching and learning about the appeals and potential drawbacks of each species has been super challenging. I'm sure whatever species I choose will be delightful, but I want to make sure I go with the one that's the best fit. I like doves for their sweet noises, goods odds of enjoying snuggles, and longevity, but I worry about the feather dust (especially if the husbando and I start a family, I've read that can be problematic health-wise) and the risk of them doing poorly if I'm away for more than a day, however rarely. Any help you guys can give would be very much appreciated--Sorry for the novel!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
About your allergies....YES definitely check it out, maybe go to a parrot rescue or something. You don't want to stress a bird by choosing it, then returning it.

I strongly recommend running an air purifier -- I have 2 in the bird room. I also wear a mask when cleaning cages. Spritzing the bottom of the cage with water first helps keep the dust down; so does giving your bird regular baths.

Personally, I would never leave my finches that long! I worry if I'm gone most of a day! Something could happen -- a drinker could become empty, a feeder fall,, a finch become ill.... a SNAKE in the aviary. You will need a neighbor or avian sitter to come in.

This forum has the "Good, bad and ugly" on each species. Be sure to read those, they will help you more than anything .

Good luck!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
ALL birds should not be left alone for more than a couple days. There are so many things that can go wrong with gravity feeders and water bottles. I would definitely get a neighbor or pet sitter to check in on them!

ALL birds also need access to unfiltered sunlight for optimum care. I am in Northern Michigan so I also cannot go out year round most of the time. I take my birds out at least once a week if its 50 degrees F or warmer. The rest of the time I rely on fortified pellets (which are fed year round) because they contain vitamin D3.

Dille

Checking out the neighborhood
About your allergies....YES definitely check it out, maybe go to a parrot rescue or something. You don't want to stress a bird by choosing it, then returning it.

I strongly recommend running an air purifier -- I have 2 in the bird room. I also wear a mask when cleaning cages. Spritzing the bottom of the cage with water first helps keep the dust down; so does giving your bird regular baths.

Personally, I would never leave my finches that long! I worry if I'm gone most of a day! Something could happen -- a drinker could become empty, a feeder fall,, a finch become ill.... a SNAKE in the aviary. You will need a neighbor or avian sitter to come in.

This forum has the "Good, bad and ugly" on each species. Be sure to read those, they will help you more than anything .

Good luck!
I'm looking for the dove-specific Good Bad and Ugly post but I can't locate it! If you could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Knowing that finches require an avian sitter as much as a dove encourages me to continue leaning towards doves, so long as my allergies permit it. I've located a parrot rescue less than an hour away that I'll try to visit this week! Thanks for the tip on cage cleaning, I'll be sure to try that if I proceed.

I've seen some people choose to house finches alongside doves in the same cage. Is that at all beneficial for the doves or would they be happier with just the two of them?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Diamond doves are the choice I usually hear of. I have quit mixing species in cages but people say the doves run the bottom, while the finches keep to the top.