• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to bird owning.

Noobiebird

Moving in
Real Name
Nick
Hi there. I’m completely new, the name is Nick,

I am thinking of owning a ringneck parrot as a first bird. I hear they talk, are a bit tame, fun charactered, able to go out for a walk with them, sit on the shoulder. Pretty much a cute little mini-me companion. Like a pirates bird but cuter and friendlier. I got into small talkative birds because of JonTron and his little bird (j’oc).

I am wondering since I never owned a bird before. How easy or hard is it to train, care for, how much is it purchase the bird and car products, and fun would it be with such a bird. Or similar bird. Any expierence people out there that can help me out and chip in some knowledge, that would be great.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Hi Nick, welcome to the avenue! I don’t own an IRN parakeet but I am owned by two small conures, who think they are eagles! :rolleyes: Find the species specific thread for the bird you are interested in. Read “the good, the bad, and the ugly” posts so you can get a feel for people’s experiences with the bird.
Whether or not they talk is really up to them. I talk to my two all the time. Gus, my beautiful expert flier, has no more interest in talking beyond “whatcha doing “ and “pretty bird”. Max will chat up a storm, so I have to watch what I say around him:lol:. He likes doing tricks and is less interested in the toys. Gus loves the toys. Best of luck to you as you do your research. You’ve come to a good place!

Skye

Strolling the yard
:welcome2: Welcome Nick. I am also new to the avenue, but have been keeping birds for a few years now. Though I have never owned Ringnecks, I can say that birds even within the same specie can vary a lot from one another, both personality- and price-wise, so I would recommend you to read "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" threads as Vanessa did to introduce you to people's experiences with different birds (there is one in each of the Species Speedway sections). Also, there is the "Ringneck and other Keet Street" in which there would be more info specifically on Ringnecks. I am sure you'll learn something useful there!

Noobiebird

Moving in
Real Name
Nick
Thanks you two. I saw the posts, the conoure looks like my kind of sized bird and also might talk. Though i feel kind of set on the Indian Ring Necked Parakeet. Seems like a good size and i hear talks more than the conoure. I appreciate your guys input. I am still trying to find the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Nick :starshower1:

If you do get a bird, remember you can only taken them outside using a harness for their safety, and even at that be vigilant of predators.

Also, try to see talking as more of a bonus. You can't guarantee your bird will talk. But for a better chance, visit your local shelter.

Good luck :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello: :welave:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Try not to have fixed expectations of your future parrot. All parrots are individuals, and there are a huge range of personalities within each species. THe threads I've linked to will give people's experience with these species.

Many birds prefer to imitate sounds rather than say words - for example, phone ringtones, text or email alerts, car alarms, microwave pings, doorbells and so on are often favoured noises to learn. Other individuals may belong to a species which can talk but show no interest in it. Choosing a bird based on talking ability is likely to lead to disappointment.
Many cannot be trusted to sit on your shoulder because they may nip.
Nearly all parrots are active and interested in things around them - they are curious and clever, and usually prefer to be doing something rather than sitting placidly on someone's shoulder. For example, my parrot is currently hanging out next to me but she's very carefully making a bit of wood into toothpicks.

However, if you are able to accept a bird on their terms and will be able to roll with whatever they throw at you, you will be rewarded with an interesting, active, fascinating companion.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I got my first bird in 2018 and what I can say now that I didn't expect (you really can't be 100% prepared) were things like the constant noise, the mess, having to plan out managing the light on and off in the bird room, frequent changes in toys and making toys, making sure they get veggies in addition to pellets, how long it takes to build a relationship with them, dealing with hormones... I don't regret getting them at all, these are just things that I didn't know until I had them. Going out of town is tricky with birds, too, the old joke is that bird people don't go on vacation! They definitely bring a lot of joy to my life, we have our routines and daily caring for them keeps me busy. (Not that I'm not busy already haha)

Noobiebird

Moving in
Real Name
Nick
Thanks yall for your experiences. I think the personality is what i will look most forward to. Is to see if the bird will be friendly and playful when im around. Even if it doesn't talk i hear they are just jumpy little creatures that do anything fun and cute. Could use such entertainment and partnership considering my line of work.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Noobiebird

Moving in
Real Name
Nick
Also!!! I noticed, paying for a GCC or IRN Parakeet is reasonable pricing if not affordable! But the price of either bird? Over hundreds of dollars. Though from recent research people say they have bought their birds for way less. Heres my reference...https://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/petco-prices.60094/post-929614

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think you will find it depends on where you live as to the pricing of birds. I know that in the USA B&G’s are not even half the price of a cheaply priced B&G for Aus.
They have different prices dependent on where you are.

Reactions: tka

Noobiebird

Moving in
Real Name
Nick
I think you will find it depends on where you live as to the pricing of birds. I know that in the USA B&G’s are not even half the price of a cheaply priced B&G for Aus.
They have different prices dependent on where you are.
I am unknown to that acronym, B&G. Whats it mean? Also i live in California.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:hello1:and welcome to the Avenue, Nick!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Welcome, Nick!

Too bad you are across the country; I just saw 2 ringnecks on Craigslist... in a finch cage. Poor babies.

Our local rescue is small but they always have a ringneck or two. I think they’re high energy birds, not as high as some maybe(I’m looking at you, Rio) but they need mental stimulation and perhaps some homes don’t provide it.

I’m trying to think how to explain the talking thing. You have to go into it with no expectations and then be happy if something happens. I have a number of birds (cough cough) ... all various degrees of talking but none very clear most of the time. That’s not what is the most important but it can give you a good laugh when they suddenly burst out with a word or phrase.
Also... I gleaned from your posts that you’re not aware yet of the relationship aspect of a bird owning you. You’re going to fall madly in love. You’ll be obsessed with his well being. Let the bird choose you and you’ll be fine.

@Dartman always has good stories.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My Maxi Nerd never talked, he spoke wild Pionus and I spoke it back, we understood each other perfectly. Lurch I got after Nerd passed away, he was mad at the world and quick to bite and another Maxi. After a mere 5 years he decided I was his friend and trustworthy. It turned out he could talk and that was a awesome bonus but I didn't require it. He mostly sounded like a drunken pirate but would belt out phrases very clearly when he felt like it. He was learning new words and had phrases that he knew from a previous more happy life. Dobby can say I'm Dobby, Dobby good boy, hi, hello and I'm sure others that he hasn't bothered with yet. I really want my birds to be happy and wanting to hang out with me and get scritches and all that because they want to do it. I let them go at their pace and try to stay close to them and eventually they'll decide I'm safe and trustworthy and good things happen to them when they are with me. Even though it took about 5 year with Lurch and I got lots of bites it was worth it in the end because he was happy with his life again and I could see it in his happy eyes when he was with me.
They're messy, they chew things up, and they can be very noisy when in the mood and I wouldn't have it any other way. They are wild creatures that bestow a gift on you when they decide your their chosen one and they WANT to be with you because they love you in their own way.
They are part of the family and it's devastating when they leave us but it's so worth it, bites and all, if your up for the challenge.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Noobiebird

Moving in
Real Name
Nick
Thanks for the welcoming guys. To those that recently replied above. I am starting to grasp that its kinda walkin into the dark with nearly any pet bird. Like i said main thing I want is to have a fun little companion. If i get bit, then i think i can shrug about it because it sounds like a little unpleasant nip. How would you go about disciplining or training that his/her action was "bad behavior" (if its even possible, im fine if its not. Just would have to find a certain toleration limit) ?