• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to being a bird mum !!

Laurry

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lauren
Hi all! I'm Lauren and I live in little old New Zealand with my boyfriend and our current small tank of tropical fish. I've been looking into getting my first bird for a good while now and always came across forums on here when I was doing research so I thought I would sign up now that I have my new family member. sorry if the post is a bit long I'm just so excited to talk about him!

My feathered friend has come a bit earlier than I anticipated but I'm super happy to have him with me.
His name is Avocado and he's a Scaly-breasted Lori, approx 2 years old! I'm absolutely in love with him.
It's currently our fourth day with him, and things are improving every day! He belonged to my boyfriends younger sister who had him as a companion animal, unfortunately, they didn't click to well and she knew I wanted a bird so kindly gave him to us for free. We've just moved rentals so everything is a bit hectic. It probably wasn't the best time to get him, but when my boyfriends family helped us move they brought him over. So far I think he's adjusted really well (chatting away to me as I write this).

We were told his "only trick" is avoiding going back into his cage at all costs, which we found out the hard way yesterday. He also isn't too keen on his water and food being changed ("weird person touching my bowls??? no thank u" he must be thinking :lol:) but this morning we had great success with no bites, just a small nibble when I closed the lock.
I purchased him a new toy, which he has been having an absolute blast with, and we gave him a bath yesterday which was the funniest thing to watch and I'm sure was very much welcome (it's been far too hot :arghh:). He decided he wanted out this morning as I was cutting him some apple, so I figured I would try to tempt him back into the cage with it, but it was the toy he decided he wanted more! I'm sooo pleased with how calmly he went back in. Baby steps, baby steps!!!

Looking forward to starting some clicker training at some point, fitting that I've recently completed a degree in animal behaviour (graduating in May!!). I'm just bursting with joy at having Avo with us and I want to tell all my friends when we go a step in a good direction but don't want to bug them with hourly updates hahaha

upload_2019-2-5_10-13-43.png

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to AA Lauren and Avocado.

It has been a hot summer, hey, luckily on the Sunny Coast it has been more mild. Finally raining!

It sounds like you are already making progress with your new family member. It is awesome that you get to adopt! Avocado's eyes are so cool :) I look forward to seeing more updates on him as you progress.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! And Avocado is a cutie!

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Welcome! I'm glad things are going well and that he seems to be settling in okay. Also, Avocado has beautiful eyes. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Lauren and Avocado :)

We were told his "only trick" is avoiding going back into his cage at all costs,
Funny, my Sydney has that down to a T too :laughing7:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Image00004_20190106012754320.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting Avocado. He's beautiful.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the Avenue, Lauren and Avocado! :meet:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you..and congrats on bringing Avocado in your family! :)

He's still adjusting to you and his new home, so you want to make sure you're not moving too quickly with him...;)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Wow! This is super exciting and great news! So happy for you and Avo and you're absolutely right: baby steps! And sorry to hear about all the terrible heat in Australia :-( Hope it lets up soon

Laurry

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lauren
OMG! Did I forget this place existed!
I am so sorry to bring back a post from 2 years ago!! and also for disappearing! But I thought you all deserved an update.
Long story short, Avo, the brat, is a girl. Which we found out after she laid her first egg... and promptly smashed it to bits in front of us. As I write this she is currently preening on my shoulder, herself, and I as I must need some tidying up after work of course.

I don't know how or when the switch happened but I think just one day she decided, yes I am friends with you now, and we barely have any trouble anymore. Avoiding the cage is no longer the best game, we go in the cage for bedtime with no struggle (unless it's my partner trying to put her in the cage therefore we play up because we know we can :sneaky: I on the other hand do not appreciate any backtalk so in we go)
We did for a very long time decide that my partner was the worst person to ever exist and were very set on destroying him for breathing. It was definitely a struggle, but they were slowly, slowly, slowly getting ok around each other, I like to think it helped that I made him the designated lettuce dealer, so Avo would hopefully associate good snacks with him and like him. Turns out, all I had to do was go on holiday for a week and leave them alone together for them to become best friends, so much so Avo did not want to hang out with me on my return and took off down the hallway to see him. It's a great feeling knowing if I want a sleep in I can have one, my partner can feed the green gremlin and not lose any fingers, or they can hang out together and all still be alive at the end. He is the designated bath giver now, as Avo has decided the bathroom sink is fantastic once it's filled with water. She still prefers her water bowl especially on days when we have to go to work.... hmm trying to tell us something Avo?
Trick training did not go well, Avo did not care enough and thought the clicker was a good toy, so I left it at that, she's such a character we don't need any fancy tricks. She does say "hiya" when you wave at her though, most times.
Keys and bells are the bee's knees, do not touch them while she is in range or you'll get told off.
It's crazy thinking back to when we first got Avo and how different things are now, it really did take some time to earn her trust, and now I wouldn't change anything for the world.

She may not be the "best" companion, she may not run around and excitedly play with toys like all the other funny birds you see online, maybe no fancy tricks. She doesn't even like scritches. But just having her, spending time on my shoulder, preening her beautiful feathers, muttering away to herself is indescribable. Maybe she can't say byebye or night night, but her "wotudoin" when I'm chopping fruit or her "HIYAS" when I wave at her through the window is enough for me.

I can't put the entire 2 years into words, but just know we are doing great and I am still as in love as I was 2 years ago.

Thanks for reading, I hope you all have a wonderful rest of the year! Enjoy your feathered babies <3

Attachments

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Laurry Welcome back :)

p.s. I have the same headset, but in white! :D

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Avo is adorable and I am glad you are getting along well.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Welcome back! MS. Avo is a beautiful girl. It’s amazing sometime what patience provides us with! I’m so glad everyone is getting along great! I am a big fan of her picture flapping in the sink :loveshower:

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Hello there!