• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Amazons

Shellifull

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone! I just brought home a 4 month old Mexican Red headed Amazon Friday, we've named him/her Loki. I've had experience with macaws and cockatoos before, but this is my first Amazon!
I know I'm jinxing myself even asking this question, but does anyone have a quiet Amazon? I'm thinking it's just because he's a baby and still learning how to vocalize? He'll chirp at us occasionally, and it sounds like he's trying to say hi sometimes, but for the most part, he stays very quiet, which surprises me! LOL
Also, I know Amazons have a habit of becoming overweight. Are they just natural piggies? Do they keep eating whether they're hungry or not? He's adapting to his food wonderfully, he'll eat pretty much whatever I put in front of him. He's had bird bistro food, celery, carrots, sugar snap peas. My macaw would walk away from food when he was done and play or talk. I'm not sure he would walk away ever, as long as there was food in his bowl!! Lol 20210813_144706.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
What a pretty baby.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Adorable

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
What a gorgeous baby! I'm not sure of all Red Heads, but I had an older one for a year or so and he was my quietest bird. My Mealy Zon is my loudest. I do believe they are one of the quieter ones, but IMO quiet and Amazon aren't in the same sentence that often. :laugh: