• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Amazons

Gav

Strolling the yard
Hello! I've recently gotten into fostering parrots and my next two have become two very unplanned Amazons. Amazons are probably the birds I have the least amount of experience with so if there's any quirks or behaviors about let me know!

I had about 2 days to mentally prepare that I might be having them come stay with me and then I got the message that they were being delivered when I got off work so I scrambled home and made some room for the huge upgrade of a cage that came from the rescue who brought them to me. I was originally under the impression that these were two untamed amazons but the moment the rescue and I met them was pretty much instant love. They seem very sweet and well mannered for being "untamed." There's been zero cage aggression and they're very gentle when taking treats. They were openly dancing and singing the same night they arrived at my place while they were still just inside their carrying cage.

Apparently they've been through 3 homes in the last 3 months and I can't possibly fathom why nobody wanted them. This is only really day 2 but they seem absolutely wonderful. I haven't handled them or touched then at all because we're still new to each other, but they'll talk and occasionally squalk to get my attention and one of them will wiggle her wings at me like she wants to come and hang out.

The one I was told is male has been posturing inside the food dish as if he might actually be a she, and the other one will use her foot to try and push them out like "can you please stop." I'll have to get it on video next time, haha. They're pretty cute.

20210624_135534.jpg
20210625_180721.jpg

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You have two Blue Fronts there. Awesome birds, respect them!
The Blue Fronts are one of the infamous 3 amazon species.
This means they have a reputation for hormonal aggression.
Do not allow shoulder time. Get to know them. Allow them to get use to you.
You are now in the honeymoon phase, and it will change as time goes on and they become comfortable.

Not to say they're bad birds, in fact IMO they're wonderful birds.
You may have lucked out with 2 sweethearts, but be careful in handling them for now.
They are some of the most fun, most engaging of Amazons. They love activity and drama.
Music is usually something most Amazons love, try playing some tunes.
Many sing and dance. Most wear their heart on the sleeve, so learn the body language.
Pinning eyes, fluffed feathers means excitement. Excitement can end in bites. ;)

Congrats, and welcome to the wonderful world of Amazons.

Gav

Strolling the yard
This means they have a reputation for hormonal aggression.
Do not allow shoulder time. Get to know them. Allow them to get use to you.
You are now in the honeymoon phase, and it will change as time goes on and they become comfortable.
The hormonal part is good to know. I rarely even liked to have my green cheek conure on my shoulder, haha. And the two lovebirds I had for a while would land on me and bite me all the time and at this point I've very content having a bird anywhere except my shoulder or head.

Music is usually something most Amazons love, try playing some tunes.
Many sing and dance. Most wear their heart on the sleeve, so learn the body language.
Pinning eyes, fluffed feathers means excitement. Excitement can end in bites. ;)

I plan on getting a radio or speaker set up so they can have music when I'm not home. I'm going extra slow with any playing or dancing because they're very malnourished. I was told they're at the point where if they were to get too worked up they could have a heart attack... They were both in a small cage together and have very little muscle. Even climbing from one perch to the next is a very slow endeavor for them. They're both full of spirit though so I'm sure they'll pull through just fine and they'll be dancing in no time.

Dania

Strolling the yard
They are beautiful. Definitely my favorite species of bird.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Do you know how long they've been together?

Gav

Strolling the yard
Do you know how long they've been together?
I know very little. They came through the rescue from a different more inexperienced rescuer. I don't think they got much info about them other than their names and ages. Everything we were told about them seems inaccurate. I'd think they've been together at least a few years. They're very gentle with each other. They sleep together at night but don't mind having space from one another either. I've yet to see them communicate with each other using their beaks, only their feat.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Good luck with your zons! They are gorgeous birbs!

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
IMHO, The best fosters/rescues are the ones that unceremoniously and without much notice absolutely plop into your lap!

Amazons have been known to ruin people forever from ever wanting any other species! Some go ZON and never go back.:heart:

Gav

Strolling the yard
My room mate already had one out today. We can't pet them yet but they know their boundaries and they know how to step up just fine. So far the only time they've gotten upset was when I had to slide their cage out for a little bit but the second time I did it they were fine about it.

I've always preferred to end up with an older rescue. Young birds are playful and great but so are older birds when you get to know them~ Plus they've already had decades to learn restraint... Teaching an animal (or child) gentle manners can be a pain. Literal pain, haha.

I also got their little personal radio set up. Somebirdy was very interested.

I have a perch down there now after already taking this photo, so if they choose to sit by the music they won't be sitting on the bars.

20210626_175841.jpg

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Zons are just gorgeous! Good luck! :D

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any updates? How's it going with them?

Gav

Strolling the yard
Any updates? How's it going with them?
It's going pretty well. The female bonded to my roommate and threatens and bites anyone else who goes near her, but apart from that they're still very well behaved and great birds. The male has gained a lot of confidence and can be picked up relatively easily but is extremely nervous and changes his mind immediately. He never bites, just makes funny growls when he's displeased.