• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to all this.

scott199

Walking the driveway
You really have been doing your homework!
Thinking of quakers- these 2 members come to mind @CrazyBirdChick and @Hjarta5
I’m sure they can give you some good info on these funny little babies :laugh:
thanks, i am trying to be "eyes wide open" ive posted on here on another thread about OWA's i met a few and spent a little time around them, i really like the personality but the beak makes me a little nervous, i may pass but im worried about transpiring my nervous energy to the bird.

So that led me to think a conure size is better, seem them, held them, don't really worry me, but im not so keen on conures as per say, then ive stubbled across the Quaker, roughly the same size i believe (not seen one yet) same dish size beak and seems to have the personality im looking for, well it "seems" anyway.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Scott, I have a good friend (in the US) who has many different parrots large and small. She said if she had her parrot life again she would stick with her two rescue Quakers. These two have a special place in her heart. Hope some Quaker people will be along. Have you read the Good, Bad and Ugly about Quakers? They seem fairly easy to find in the UK.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
20180219_183330.jpg

This is my sassy girl, Wally. If I knew or heard anything about quakers before I found her, I dont believe I would have agreed to take care of her. She is the first to wake, and the last to want to go to bed. She is bossy and temperamental, like a fiesty chihuahua next to a Great Dane. She will bite if you're not preening her pinnies the way she likes it. If you dont give her the deference necessary for royalty, she will make it known.

But I cant imagine my life without Wally. It was fortunate I was so ignorant about how much care and attention a quaker demanded when we decided against turning her into the local rescue.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
View attachment 319432

This is my sassy girl, Wally. If I knew or heard anything about quakers before I found her, I dont believe I would have agreed to take care of her. She is the first to wake, and the last to want to go to bed. She is bossy and temperamental, like a fiesty chihuahua next to a Great Dane. She will bite if you're not preening her pinnies the way she likes it. If you dont give her the deference necessary for royalty, she will make it known.

But I cant imagine my life without Wally. It was fortunate I was so ignorant about how much care and attention a quaker demanded when we decided against turning her into the local rescue.
I’d say sassy is a great way to describe that pic! Lol I Love Wally :heart: If I didn’t live in PA, Quakers would be in the top 5 of my next birbs to adopt list!

scott199

Walking the driveway
Scott, I have a good friend (in the US) who has many different parrots large and small. She said if she had her parrot life again she would stick with her two rescue Quakers. These two have a special place in her heart. Hope some Quaker people will be along. Have you read the Good, Bad and Ugly about Quakers? They seem fairly easy to find in the UK.
Hi, yes, I’ve read through a few times, they don’t seem to have any of the traits I’m worried about, main things I’m concerned about is
aggression to other family members.

View attachment 319432

It’s very strange as I hear this a lot, that they never would of had a Quaker if they’d of known more about them, but then say would never live without them, so what’s so bad ? Why do they have such a bad name when researching ?

Is it maybe unwise/bad idea as a first parrot ?

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Quakers can be extremely territorial and may have a mean streak when it comes to hormones -- which seems year around, at times :lol:

Fortunately for me, I have not experienced this with Wally. But there are stories of being attacked and constant noise. However, I dont know if this is better or worse than any other parrot.

scott199

Walking the driveway
Quakers can be extremely territorial and may have a mean streak when it comes to hormones -- which seems year around, at times :lol:

Fortunately for me, I have not experienced this with Wally. But there are stories of being attacked and constant noise. However, I dont know if this is better or worse than any other parrot.
I agree, I’m not sure if any parrot species can really be called quite or non aggressive or non bitey (not sure if that’s a real word but should be :)
They and individual traits and I would say all could be possible in any parrot or none or just some.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
@scott199 Exactly. For me, its like having a child - sometimes that child will be difficult and not do the things you want, but you can only nurture by listening and learning. Trying to control will only lead to frustration.

This is also why I think adopting an adult is better than buying a baby. Most probably, you already know an adult's personality and whether thats something you can manage. Both Wally and Luna, a Senegal parrot, came to me as adults and their personalities are so different but equally unique and endearing.

scott199

Walking the driveway
Just a little update, things are still progressing, still researching and trying to learn.

I have been in contact with 2 rescues and have a home visit booked, still not to sure on types yet, but hopefully the rescue will advise based on my home, space and lifestyle.

It’s not a guarantee yet but very likely I will re home, I’m also talking to them about being a safe house while birds are waiting for adoption, will give me a chance to learn with support and back up also a chance to “see” the different types or traits, but mostly and the main reason I hopefully can offer a great short term home for rescue, until it finds a forever home.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Welcome back Scott. I'm actually glad to see you still researching. Too many people rush into this and end up regretting not considering another species. And to consider adopting is just so humane and decent of you.
Oh yeah, and you're a fellow Brit :hello: :rofl:

scott199

Walking the driveway
Welcome back Scott. I'm actually glad to see you still researching. Too many people rush into this and end up regretting not considering another species. And to consider adopting is just so humane and decent of you.
Oh yeah, and you're a fellow Brit :hello: :rofl:
Thank you, had my home visit today and all seemed to go well, got to wait for the final decision but looking good so far I hope.

where you to in uk ?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
where you to in uk ?
W Yorks
I remember my home visits, 3 in all plus random checks after. I got sick of handing them back, I got to see some go back to horrendous conditions. So for the past year I've only looked for birds open to adoption now.
Its great to see you joining the flock here, you couldn't be in a better place ;)

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
@scott199 I am so excited to be along for the ride on your way to parronthood :heart: You are doing awesome so far! I can’t wait to see what the future holds for you!

scott199

Walking the driveway
@scott199 I am so excited to be along for the ride on your way to parronthood :heart: You are doing awesome so far! I can’t wait to see what the future holds for you!
Thank you, nice for you to say that, I’ll keep the thread updated with what happens but I’m sure the minute I get something you’ll all know quite quickly as I’ll be here asking annoying questions constantly :D

scott199

Walking the driveway
W Yorks
I remember my home visits, 3 in all plus random checks after. I got sick of handing them back, I got to see some go back to horrendous conditions. So for the past year I've only looked for birds open to adoption now.
Its great to see you joining the flock here, you couldn't be in a better place ;)
This does worry me, I’m the type to say “nope” he/she isn’t going to that house type of thing, I do always have the choice to adopt full time if one really bonds with us.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
This does worry me, I’m the type to say “nope” he/she isn’t going to that house type of thing, I do always have the choice to adopt full time if one really bonds with us.
Don't let anything I say put you off. I've had a bad couple of years now, really bad, but I have my redemption bird now and I'll be signing papers on him next week. I hope you find your ideal feathered friend.

scott199

Walking the driveway
Well just to keep you all updated as you’ve given me such great help.

Home check all cleared and they are happy for us to re-home or safe house, not sure what we’re doing, but I am feeling safe housing should be considered, at very least it helps a bird out for a week/month or so.

Things have taken a slight turn, we’ve always said conure, Quaker or even caique size is about our comfort level, well when they did the last check they turned up with an CAG, which at first was a little intimidating but the wife actually prefers the larger bird, it was out with us for around 2 hours and we were both relatively comfortable.

We’ve been asked to take an amazon, but today we’re asked about another grey that was desperate for a home, we’re nit sure yet and not going to dive in head first, I’ve never thought or looked at greys, so all new.

Oh and just to make life difficult, we’ve both met and love the look of Hahns, seem perfect size and such sweet little birds, but who knows at this point.

I got his really bad feeling that I’ll be posting pictures of parrots taking over our entire house in a few years :D:D:banghead: