• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to all this.

scott199

Walking the driveway
Thank u, I enjoyed the vids. Does he have a favorite person in you household? And how is he with everyone else besides his chosen person (if he has one)?
i don't think he really has a "chosen" person as such, i'm certainly is favourite, but also hes not handleable, so we don't really know if he/how he would react with others, when he comes out he certainly doesn't seem to mind who's around him, my other half and sons are scared of him, so they will interact with him but from a "safe" distance, he allows any of us in his cage to change/feed/clean him.

its strange, if i'm in the room he will sit as close to me in his cage as possible, but he seems to talk more to the wife than me. when he does come out hes very nervous and won't come or go to anyone, if i open his cage he instantly comes to me or the door, if hes out on the floor he will run from me, well i say run, hes more of a creeper

the transition between carpet and wood floor has always been a massive barrier for him, hence me trying to get him to venture out a little more.

scott199

Walking the driveway
Just a little update for those that know our little lad.

a few weeks back he became lethargic and got rushed to the vets.

he was diagnosed with an enlarged heart , liver damage and fluid around his liver fluid and heart were causing breathing issues.

after a few days and lots of X-rays, bloods, fecal tests and crop feeding they allowed him to come home on antibiotics, heart meds, liver meds and calcium meds.

he’s slowly on the mend, finished antibiotics but likely to stay on heart meds, liver meds for-the long term and heart meds for life.

went back Friday and his breathing has returned almost to normal, fluid has dispersed and heart sounds much better.

I’m sure I’ll be asking lots of questions but for now I’ll leave it their and happily reply if you’d like to know more.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Just a little update for those that know our little lad.

a few weeks back he became lethargic and got rushed to the vets.

he was diagnosed with an enlarged heart , liver damage and fluid around his liver fluid and heart were causing breathing issues.

after a few days and lots of X-rays, bloods, fecal tests and crop feeding they allowed him to come home on antibiotics, heart meds, liver meds and calcium meds.

he’s slowly on the mend, finished antibiotics but likely to stay on heart meds, liver meds for-the long term and heart meds for life.

went back Friday and his breathing has returned almost to normal, fluid has dispersed and heart sounds much better.

I’m sure I’ll be asking lots of questions but for now I’ll leave it their and happily reply if you’d like to know more.
I’m so sorry! Glad to hear he’s on the mend!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Goodness! Tell Bert his fans are rooting for his health and happiness, please, and know we'll try to support you through it too.

FinTheBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Addy
Hi All.

Been reading many a post and finally decided to join in and say Hi.

I'm extremely new to this and i am looking/researching getting my first Parrott.
I've wanted one for years but life/kids/time didn't allow me to devote the time and devotion needed, now I'm older, kids older and feel i have the time and funds.

i have so many questions but I'll leave those for the correct place.
Ahh yes! I just got a budgie a few months ago and I am loving it. If you are new to being a birdy mom then I thing a parakeet/budgie would be a great start for you! They are super sweet and easy to care for. A conure would also be a great choice! I can’t wait to see what you decide on ☺