• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to all this.

scott199

Walking the driveway
Hi All.

Been reading many a post and finally decided to join in and say Hi.

I'm extremely new to this and i am looking/researching getting my first Parrott.
I've wanted one for years but life/kids/time didn't allow me to devote the time and devotion needed, now I'm older, kids older and feel i have the time and funds.

i have so many questions but I'll leave those for the correct place.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome @scott199 :)

I hope you love being a member of AA, it is a lovely supportive community here so I am sure you will have all your questions answered :)

Peaches1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kalee
:welcomeavenue:. Have you decided on what kind your getting yet?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
HI Scott. Feel free to ask questions and tell us more about your expectations for a companion bird in your life.

scott199

Walking the driveway
:welcomeavenue:. Have you decided on what kind your getting yet?
well, i wanted a mid-sized robust little fellow that just wanted to be around us, playful, energetic, not massively 'flighty' this led me to really falling for the white-bellied Caiques and i did have my heart set on a one.

but after reading these forums and many others and chatting to people on facebook etc, I'm really not sure anymore as the stories of "nasty little vengeful attack modes" and terrible biting machines seems to be the thing, but I'm not stupid and i know generally for every bad story on the internet there is 5-10 good ones that never get posted, a little like a car forum, not many people sign up or find them to say "mines been perfect and I've never had a single breakdown or problem" i am realistic and i understand most, not all but most find forums for help with problems, i also understand that regardless of what it is, these are wild animals and anyone going in thinking they will never get bit, is really going in with the wrong attitude.

So with all that in mind, i started to look at Senagals, but everyone seems to say they are very protective and can get attached to one or another of us, not really suitable as its likely to spend much more quality time with me, but I'm at work, so the wife is home with it all day, she's happy to chat and play but wouldn't really interact as i would.

So really I'm looking for advice and insight into what may or may not be right for me.

i did go to an aviary and found the sweetest little hand reared lovebird, (the owner hand it in the house) not quite ready to leave yet but in the next week or two, very friendly, but it seemed a little small and delicate for what i had originally planned, but its certainly looking like a better fit for the whole family.

So, I think I should have signed up as "totally confused" :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Many species are highly flock oriented. Do you want one bird or more? Will you consider one from a rescue instead of a breeder?
Sometimes one can spend so much time deciding on the species of bird but then another comes along and tugs at your heartstrings.
Cockatiels will be good at tugging at heartstrings. They have a great reputation for a quality companion.

Peaches1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kalee
Scott I would really consider looking into Conures. They love to be around people and have tons of energy. Mine acts like a toddler on a sugar rush most of the time :roflmao:. They are very good companions and LOVE to be around their humans. So far I haven’t had any behavioral issues with peaches( my GCC) and they are very quick learners. Just a suggestion

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum Scott :fairy2:

A single male lovebird can be a very social and loving bird.

A cockatiel as suggested could be a good option for you too.

Good luck expanding your family :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So really I'm looking for advice and insight into what may or may not be right for me.

What's right for you is to expose yourself to species of birds and get some face to face. It will become evident very quickly if and what kind of bird you are cut out to look after. By doing this there will be a bird that "picks you". That is the bird you will have the best relationship and success with.

This isn't really about the bird. It's about you and what you bring to the table as far as husbandry skills.environment. Do it well and you "develop" a great bird "with time". Do it badly and you will create a monster. No matter the species. The bigger the bird the bigger the monster. "Visions" of what we want have a way of being quashed by "reality".

Welcome aboard.

scott199

Walking the driveway
Many species are highly flock oriented. Do you want one bird or more? Will you consider one from a rescue instead of a breeder?
Sometimes one can spend so much time deciding on the species of bird but then another comes along and tugs at your heartstrings.
Cockatiels will be good at tugging at heartstrings. They have a great reputation for a quality companion.
Hi.
well the theory was we only wanted one and we'd be happy to be his family (we have me, the wife (at home), 15y/o lad and the two older kids 19/21, (19/21 prob won't have to much involvement)

Rescue wise i have been to one locally 2/3 times now for a few hours each time, to be around the noise and get a better look at them, unfortunately, they don't have any i was interested in and even then all they had were not getting rehomed due to being problematic, they had a moody macaw, couple African greys (one hated men, the other women), 2/3 amazons, and half a dozen conures, two Cockatiels that were very bitey, and a grumpy as you like green one that i couldn't get anywhere near :)

the rescue guy actually said that Caiques make really good family pets and in his 14 years has never had one come through, but this could be due to them not being quite as well known as others?

i must admit i would prefer a hand reared baby, so we can bond as a family but I'm happy to go for a rescue if we bonded.

as for the tugging, the little lovebird I mentioned did this, never even considered them, but he/she was extremely tame, playful and full of life, but i also know that chances are whichever I choose will likely not be keen on another feathered fried joining his family later down the line.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!

scott199

Walking the driveway
Wise move to get an adult. (They're all hand reared so that isn't a good reason)

Give this a read as to why.
Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine
great article, that's an eye-opener and a way of thinking that has never crossed my mind, thank you.

As for the " they're all hand reared" bit, this is confusing me a little, do you mean every parrot/bird is hand reared? as many a breeder here has advised me the opposite and told me that very few are truly hand reared and tame, maybe its a terminology difference that's confusing me?

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
I would say that what he meant was that all the birds at the rescue or pet stores etc,especially those in rescues,all have you see this experience with humans and such and even the TAMEST,SWEETEST,LOVELIEST and HAPPIEST BIRD will turn over time,because of hormones and such,or just some new,fresh perspectives to the bird or simply put,NOT ENOUGH ATTENTION! Which is also the main cause cause of birds changing from tame to untame,cuddly to nippy.
Do bear in mind that for WHATEVER BIRD TYPE you get,big or small in the end,you need to know their diet,flight ability,cage space and other pets are a NO NO ( hamsters and guinea pigs still okay,the rest especially cats and dogs are a NO NO NO!!! So by getting a bird,you must ensure that you won't be getting any others pets like those I just mentioned ).
Lorikeets especially are known not only for their vibrant colours,as in Rainbow Lorikeets ( they are lively and are flighty and have a conure-like size so you could check them out too! I am owned by Rainbow Lorikeet Bright now along with my others birds so I could tell you that they are very active and clever but need to keep an eye out for them as they can be too curious ) but also for their nectar,flower,leaves etc diet that they have.They are also on the expensive ( 300-400) range.Sure,they will eat seeds and pellets ( pellets if you must ),as in every bird,but that simply put,isn't the best!
Every bird will be nippy and grumpy when you first bring them back to their new and hopefully,forever home so PATIENCE IS KEY to bond and make your bird TRUST YOU and your family.
Do not,DON'T let your bird in the kitchen if you have telfon pots and pans as the fumes emitted are LETHAL to them.If you are unsure,don't let them in anyway just to be safe.Just some basic tips that I could think of now and I'll get back to you later if you decide on which species of bird you would like to get ( the confirmed,as your thoughts could change ) or if you just want some more tips.Just @ me and I'll respond as fast as I can as my time zone is probably different from yours ( 22 44 at my time now ).
So yeah,hope you'll enjoy your future birb keeping life !

scott199

Walking the driveway
Scott I would really consider looking into Conures. They love to be around people and have tons of energy. Mine acts like a toddler on a sugar rush most of the time :roflmao:. They are very good companions and LOVE to be around their humans. So far I haven’t had any behavioural issues with peaches( my GCC) and they are very quick learners. Just a suggestion
Hi thank you, it is one area I've been looking into, i need to do a little more research on these, but thank you

scott199

Walking the driveway
Welcome to the forum Scott :fairy2:

A single male lovebird can be a very social and loving bird.

A cockatiel as suggested could be a good option for you too.

Good luck expanding your family :)
Hi, Thanks, do you find or know if there's much difference between males and females as a solo bird, the one i found, i didn't actually check if its been DNA'ed for sex.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:welave:

Looking forward to hearing about your search! I lurked on this forum for awhile after we found and took in a Quaker, and found a lot of great tips and resources while figuring out what would be best for Wally. Then of course, we adopted a second bird, a Senegal named Luna from a local rescue. I cannot imagine life without them! Having them, I now appreciate how smart and different each one is. I wish the same for you :)