• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New tiel's gonna be here any minute now!!!

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I´m so happy the world brought you and this little one together. I look forward to reading all about him :)
I'm hoping to have a lot to say about him, too! He's already gotten into so much trouble despite only being here for less than a day.

Not much in the way of news right now. I tried to handle him a little, but he went right under the furniture again and hissed like a demon. He has discovered the bells and seems to really like anything shiny and reflective. :) But he's not sold on the spare forraging/block toy I gave him.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Oooh boye.

I contacted the former owners to ask if Gabriel was DNA sexed.

Nope. His breeder just told them that he was female and they saw the parents. Since this immature baby looked female, he was sold as female. She then told me to look on the internet to learn how to sex a three month old baby.

And then she told me that this bird who can't fly loves to fly. :|

Garet

Real Name
Garet
And now she's telling M E to look on the internet for training guides.

I know. He flies like a rock. But he is the same bird from the ad. :headsmack: At best, he got a foot before hitting the ground.

Tried explaining that male and female babies look the same. I really did try. :shocked5:

I am happy for both of you. This bird will get all that he or she needs. Gabriel can also be Gabrielle too ;)

I love the short name of Gabby for a Girl.
I guess we'll have to wait and see if we have a Gabe or Gabby. I'm pretty sure he's a Gabe tho... I'm going to get a dna test, but everything about his behavior screams male. :what: And he just sounds male. Little guy whistled when he heard Mims.

Mind you, she also said that she would have sold him for a higher price if he was male, soooooo...

:zipped1:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Sounds like Gabe is doing great! Many congrats!!!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am just happy he's in a home that appreciates what he is! Not like someone using them to make money.

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I an just happy he's in a hone that appreciates what he is! Not like someone using them to make money.
Thank you. :) I got nothing against good breeders, but I'm not planning on breeding anything but bugs and rarer tarantulas. Maybe guppies, just because I love 'em and I wouldn't mind having a small school in my large, empty tank.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thank you. :) I got nothing against good breeders, but I'm not planning on breeding anything but bugs and rarer tarantulas. Maybe guppies, just because I love 'em and I wouldn't mind having a small school.
I get it, I do. I have never bred anything beyond a Hamster!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I get it, I do. I have never bred anything beyond a Hamster!
The closest I got to actually breeding was hatching eggs from a rescue gecko who came here pregnant. Unless you count snails. I didn't know that apple snails were hermaphroditic until my two turned into (what felt like) two billion. Or my beetles, who ralso exploded into the billions.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
The closest I got to actually breeding was hatching eggs from a rescue gecko who came here pregnant. Unless you count snails. I didn't know that apple snails were hermaphroditic until my two turned into (what felt like) two billion. Or my beetles, who ralso exploded into the billions.
I would love a giant snail! So peaceful they are and they are adorable when they eat.

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I would love a giant snail! So peaceful they are abs they are adorable when they eat.
I'd love them, too! But if you think snails are cute, you could always go for a golden apple snail. ;)

Just don't make the same mistake and get two. Or just destroy the eggs. They're aquatic and their mating ritual is actually quite beautiful. And their egg clusters are pink. :>

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Maybe guppies, just because I love 'em and I wouldn't mind having a small school in my large, empty tank.
Oh man, be very very careful. Guppies breed like wildfire spreads. They become sexually mature before they are large enough to differentiate the males from the females; so any time you buy females there is a 99% chance they are already pregnant. They then give live birth to a swarm of fry who are promptly eaten or sucked into the filter (if you thought it smelled before being clogged with guppy fry you are in for a surprise!), many survive..enough to overpopulate your tank in no time and by the time the fry are big enough to separate, all the females are once again pregnant. It’s a maddening, rapid cycle and being overrun by guppies is a real nightmare. The only way to have a “small school” is to only buy male guppies.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Oh man, be very very careful. Guppies breed like wildfire spreads. They become sexually mature before they are large enough to differentiate the males from the females; so any time you buy females there is a 99% chance they are already pregnant. They then give live birth to a swarm of fry who are promptly eaten or sucked into the filter (if you thought it smelled before being clogged with guppy fry you are in for a surprise!), many survive..enough to overpopulate your tank in no time and by the time the fry are big enough to separate, all the females are once again pregnant. It’s a maddening, rapid cycle and being overrun by guppies is a real nightmare. The only way to have a “small school” is to only buy male guppies.
.... Eeeehhhhh, I didn't know it was that bad. :confused: I'm glad you warned me first. It was really just something I was thinking of doing in the future, not something I'm dead set on doing. I'll pass on breeding them, that sounds absolutely nightmarish and not something I'd wish on them for the sake of babies.

All-boys it is for me!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
.... Eeeehhhhh, I didn't know it was that bad. :confused: I'm glad you warned me first. It was really just something I was thinking of doing in the future, not something I'm dead set on doing. I'll pass on breeding them, that sounds absolutely nightmarish and not something I'd wish on them for the sake of babies.

All-boys it is for me!
Hehe yeah nightmarish it is! I temporarily lost my mind trying to save all the babies and ended up with (most of) a 20g and four 10g tanks full of guppies! And that’s excluding the fry tanks :dead:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Hehe yeah nightmarish it is! I temporarily lost my mind trying to save all the babies and ended up with (most of) a 20g and four 10g tanks full of guppies! And that’s excluding the fry tanks :dead:
Jeeesus. D: I think I'll stick to breeding my bugs. Getting more mealworms than I know what to do with doesn't sound half as bad anymore!