• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Tiel!

K.Kiofish

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kayla
Hello!

So I’m going to be taking in a female tiel soon and from the pictures from the previous owners, the cage looks pretty sparse. She only has one perch that looks a little too big for her and seven or eight toys. I know that isn’t enough by any means. My question is, since she is going to be new to my household, what is the best and most comfortable way to switch out and put in new perches and toys for her? I don’t want to freak her out anymore than she probably will be in a new place. I haven’t owned a cockatiel in quite some time but I saw her and couldn’t say no to her cute little face so I’m taking her in. Any advice would be greatly welcomed. I want her to live a happy life but don’t want to traumatize her.

K.Kiofish

Real Name
Kayla
I forgot to mention that they are giving me the cage that she’s lived in as well.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :bounce3:

Haven't had cockatiels in SO MANY years... someone will help... Guess I would readjust the cage leaving him PLENTY of space to get used to the new arrangement... but MAKE SURE he has SEVERAL DAYLIGHT HOURS to get used to it! Some people have had issues w/ shadows or objects nearby that frighten them. Hate those cockatiel night frights!
Someone else will come along and help...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Kayla! 1.welcome signs.gif

It could be best to let her stay in the cage as is for a few days while she adjusts to her new surroundings.
From there you can work on changing perches etc slowly :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I help with a rescue and there's definitely 2 schools of thought. One is let them adjust a bit. The other is new home, new cage. I have seen both work. I think it partially depends on the bird. Either way, I wouldn't put too many new things in the cage at once. It seems like most birds take right away to natural perches. I only put a couple toys in at first and nothing too big. I even just thread paper through the cage bars for my tiels to chew. Something easy and not scary. I think the more important thing is to try to keep the bird's routine as same as possible until she settles in. Same food, same bedtime, covered/not covered. And then start making the changes you want when the bird is settled

K.Kiofish

Real Name
Kayla
I help with a rescue and there's definitely 2 schools of thought. One is let them adjust a bit. The other is new home, new cage. I have seen both work. I think it partially depends on the bird. Either way, I wouldn't put too many new things in the cage at once. It seems like most birds take right away to natural perches. I only put a couple toys in at first and nothing too big. I even just thread paper through the cage bars for my tiels to chew. Something easy and not scary. I think the more important thing is to try to keep the bird's routine as same as possible until she settles in. Same food, same bedtime, covered/not covered. And then start making the changes you want when the bird is settled
Thank you! I appreciate it!