• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New 'Tiel Owner

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
I got an adorable cockatiel, named Sunny about last week! And I already had/have a lovebird, who is 7 1/2 years old. My cockatiel is 3 months old, still a baby. Any advice??

:tiel2:Sunshine :rflb:Pippin

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I got an adorable cockatiel, named Sunny about last week! And I already had/have a lovebird, who is 7 1/2 years old. My cockatiel is 3 months old, still a baby. Any advice??

:tiel2:Sunshine :rflb:Pippin
Did you buy them from the same place? If no, re you quarantining? If no, how close are the cages to each other? It'll time for them to adjust and they may or may not like each other. Has Pippin been around other birds?

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
No, I got the 'tiel from someone we have known for a few years, she breeds them, and we went to go see the babies. they looked clean, healthy, and she explained their diet to use. I asked... "Would I need to quarantine? I have a lovebird at home" and she said... "No, not with our parrots at least. But if you ever get any parrots from a pet store or anywhere your unfamiliar with, then please quarantine them!" They are both in my room, Pippin has a standing cage so he is against the wall, and my cockatiel is next to me bed. She said to wait about 2-3 weeks until introducing them. And I'm not sure if Pippin has been around other birds.. If so, its probably been a long time. As I said, I have had him for 8 months and he is 7 1/2 years old, I got him from a family who didn't want him anymore. They said that they used to breed lovebirds and they kept Pippin.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
No, I got the 'tiel from someone we have known for a few years, she breeds them, and we went to go see the babies. they looked clean, healthy, and she explained their diet to use. I asked... "Would I need to quarantine? I have a lovebird at home" and she said... "No, not with our parrots at least. But if you ever get any parrots from a pet store or anywhere your unfamiliar with, then please quarantine them!" They are both in my room, Pippin has a standing cage so he is against the wall, and my cockatiel is next to me bed. She said to wait about 2-3 weeks until introducing them. And I'm not sure if Pippin has been around other birds.. If so, its probably been a long time. As I said, I have had him for 8 months and he is 7 1/2 years old, I got him from a family who didn't want him anymore. They said that they used to breed lovebirds and they kept Pippin.
I am just a little more of a wary of new birds after my personal search for a lovebird. Kept finding baby lovebirds who tested positive for diseases. bought 3 from different places in different cities, just glad I did not take them home, money well spent on testing. Came out of my pocket as these petstores/breeders would not pay for them themselves... Loki was #4(clean bird).

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
I am just a little more of a wary of new birds after my personal search for a lovebird. Kept finding baby lovebirds who tested positive for diseases. bought 3 from different places in different cities, just glad I did not take them home, money well spent on testing. Came out of my pocket as these petstores/breeders would not pay for them themselves... Loki was #4(clean bird).
Ohh... Do you think Ill still be okay tho? Now I'm worried XD

#WorriedParrotMama

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Ohh... Do you think Ill still be okay tho? Now I'm worried XD

#WorriedParrotMama
Well have they been in the same room? Have you handled both without washing or changing clothes? If yes, quarantine would have already been broken since this has been going on for a week. I'm sure you dont have anything to worry about, just keep a "mother's" eye on your birds. I just had bad luck. Only true way to tell is to run tests.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Baby tiels tend to be pretty clumsy. So you might want to keep his perches lowered for a bit and make sure he has easy access to food. Also, cockatiels can have night frights. So I always have a night light for my tiel. Just something to be aware of. Congrats on your new baby.