• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Sunny won't play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Kyli
I got a new baby sun conure a few days ago. He has a huge cage full of perches and toys but only stays on 1 perch (his rope perch) and once in a while goes over to have some food or water. He is a really good boy when out of the cage and never has bitten but he is very loud. He was with other birds before I got him. I am just wondering if their is a reason why he doesn't want to explore his cage or play with his toys. Thanks in advance!

brilywi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bri
If you just got him a few days ago, he's probably just still settling in. You could also try asking his breeder or the place you got him from what toys he seemed to enjoy the most and try some of those. :heart:

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
How long have you had him for? It will take him a while to adjust and become more comfortable in his environment. When he becomes more comfortable he will likely begin to explore his cage and test his toys. He might need to learn to play with them too. Perhaps if you show him the toys and play with them to show him to show him what to do he might be more willing to try them out. Also, some birds prefer different types of toys over others, so try giving him different ones (soft shredding types, wooden, foraging, or acrylic toys are just a few examples. Then you can figure out if he has a preference of what he likes for toys. It still might take him a while to get the hang of it though.
I remember when we first got Darwin, it would take him weeks to months to destroy some of the toys we gave him. Now, I can put a shredding toy in his cage, leave for work, and when I get home it will be demolished.

Real Name
Kyli
I have only had him for about 4 or 5 days. I will try showing him his toys and letting him settle in. I am going to email the breeder and ask what his favorite toys are. Thank you very much for the advice.

Pidgeot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephy
Alex was only seven months old when I bought him. He didn't even touch any of his toys for the first two weeks, then he started nibbling on some wodden beads and now he destoys them. Your sunny might be the same, so give it some time ;)

Tay05

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kaleigh
My sun is 20 and still doesn't play with toys. He goes from his hut to his perch and back again if he's in his cage. Sometime's he'll send one of his toys swinging when he gets angry but that's about all. But definitely give him some more time to settle in! And get used to that noise for sure!

Real Name
Kyli
I think he is starting to settle in. The other day he discovered his snugly hut and has started chewing on his shredding toy :D. The noise is starting to not bother me as much . Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.