• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New (soon to be) Bird Owner

Quick86

Moving in
Hi everyone, I've been doing lots of research for the past month or so and have decided to take the plunge. I want to make the best decision for both me and my bird. Here are the top breeds I am considering, but I still need lots of help and open to other suggestions based on my wants/needs:

Senegal
Bourkes Parakeet
Green Cheeked Conure
Blue Headed Pionus

The bird has a large aviary outdoors and a large cage indoors ready for him/her.
I'm looking for a calmer, affectionate type that is independent for when I'm at work (8-5). There will be days when I can only spend an hour or so with them. I already have a shower perch as well, so I'm hoping for one that enjoys water and I've read it can be a bonding time. No kids, just my partner and I. We live in the suburbs, and since they will be in the aviary sometimes, I prefer one that is on the less noisy side. I know they can all be loud at times. Talking and tricks are not too important, but icing on the cake. Prefer a less bitey breed. Do any of these breeds sing? Could be a plus. I may add a canary or other finch in the future. Also, if I choose the Senegal, Conure, or Pionus I may add the Bourkes later. So any thoughts on which would get along with a Bourkes would be helpful.

Thank you, I'm glad I found this resource...excited to learn more!

Patrick

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome!

Given that you have long work hours and there will be times when you can only spend an hour with the bird, can I suggest getting two? They will be able to keep each other company while you're away.

I have a Pionus and, while they are described as independent, my girl loves ambient attention. She is happiest when someone is in the room with her, even if we're both doing our own thing. She gets at least three hours out of the cage a day, and is unhappy if she doesn't have that. Parrots are incredibly social creatures and thrive on having others around them, whether this is another parrot or their human flock.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Patrick! :starshower1:

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Welcome to the Avenue! That's great that you are prepared and already have everything set up. I know this wasn't one of your options, but male Cockatiels tend to mimic very Easily if thats something you were looking for and both male and females have a delightful tweet. Cockatiels are very affectionate birds and love head scratches, and a perfect "starter" bird. They bond very closely to their owner once tamed. No one can really say much on biting for any bird, it just depends on how that parrot is. Some are bitey, and some arent. Anyway cockatiels love to fly around in large spaces too which is great for your outdoor aviary, just keep in mind cockatiels have to stay in temperatures 65-80 degrees. But if I were to choose one of your options, I don't know any of those breeds very well so I couldn't say. Sorry! Good Luck

:tiel2:Sunny:piedlovie:Pippin

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Out of those you listed, I would say perhaps a Pi. One thing to consider is if you plan on getting smaller birds later- like a bourke, you always have to be cautious with mixing big/little beaks as injuries can happen very quickly.

Quick86

Moving in
Welcome!

Given that you have long work hours and there will be times when you can only spend an hour with the bird, can I suggest getting two? They will be able to keep each other company while you're away.

I have a Pionus and, while they are described as independent, my girl loves ambient attention. She is happiest when someone is in the room with her, even if we're both doing our own thing. She gets at least three hours out of the cage a day, and is unhappy if she doesn't have that. Parrots are incredibly social creatures and thrive on having others around them, whether this is another parrot or their human flock.
Thank you for the advice!

Quick86

Moving in
Welcome to the Avenue! That's great that you are prepared and already have everything set up. I know this wasn't one of your options, but male Cockatiels tend to mimic very Easily if thats something you were looking for and both male and females have a delightful tweet. Cockatiels are very affectionate birds and love head scratches, and a perfect "starter" bird. They bond very closely to their owner once tamed. No one can really say much on biting for any bird, it just depends on how that parrot is. Some are bitey, and some arent. Anyway cockatiels love to fly around in large spaces too which is great for your outdoor aviary, just keep in mind cockatiels have to stay in temperatures 65-80 degrees. But if I were to choose one of your options, I don't know any of those breeds very well so I couldn't say. Sorry! Good Luck

:tiel2:Sunny:piedlovie:Pippin
I haven't ruled those out yet! Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello: :welave:

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS:)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If it's a requirement for the bird to get along with a bourke and for them to be in the same cage, I would honestly recommend sticking to cockatiels, finches and canaries - and being aware that you will need a carrier to transport birds in and out of the house if the aviary is not directly connected to the house in such a way that they could go into the aviary safely on their own. (i.e. attached to a window or door)

They are all vastly different species (not breeds) with different personalities.

Reactions: tka