• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New seven week old cockatiel won’t eat formula

sleepysami

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sami
hello guys I recently got a new cockatiel from a breeder and I brought him home he didn’t seem to be interested in formula I was given. i use a thermometer to make sure it’s around 105 to 107 but he just does not seem interested at all. do you think maybe he’s just scared of me right now? should I be worried? by the way he’s not making any of those baby I’m hungry so I’m not sure what to think should I just wait until he starts making that sound I’m just afraid that he won’t make it around me...thank you. sorry for any grammatical errors I’m kind of typing in a rush

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi, Did the breeder say whether the chick was weaned/weaning/on formula only?
When did you bring home the Tiel? Have they accepted/ingested any food/drink?

sleepysami

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sami
Hi, Did the breeder say whether the chick was weaned/weaning/on formula only?
When did you bring home the Tiel? Have they accepted/ingested any food/drink?
Hey! she gave me pellets along with him and said he’s being weaned onto zupreem natural pellets. he seemed to chew on them a bit while in the cage. I brought him home yesterday. He seemed to swallow some of the formula but he wasn’t bobbing his head so i’m not certain.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think I would take the baby back to the breeder and have her finish weaning him. Tiels typically don't wean until 8-10 weeks and I really think it's irresponsible for breeders to sell unweaned babies. Sorry for the rant. It's a sore spot with me. Especially if you don't have handfeeding experience.

sleepysami

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sami
I think I would take the baby back to the breeder and have her finish weaning him. Tiels typically don't wean until 8-10 weeks and I really think it's irresponsible for breeders to sell unweaned babies. Sorry for the rant. It's a sore spot with me. Especially if you don't have handfeeding experience.
I understand. I was shown how and I was confident I could do it but now i’m unsure. I was recommended by the breeder i hand feed him for the last few weeks but I guess it’s up to debate? I’ll see how today goes. Advice is appreciated.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I understand. I was shown how and I was confident I could do it but now i’m unsure. I was recommended by the breeder i hand feed him for the last few weeks but I guess it’s up to debate? I’ll see how today goes. Advice is appreciated.
You can try wetting the pellets with a bit of water to see if he'll eat those. Or some millet spray.

@Ripshod ?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was shown how and I was confident I could do it but now i’m unsure
If you are new at handfeeding, be sure you are using a spoon not a syringe.

Soft cooked veggies, mashed are a good option to offer.

If you are unsuccessful feeding the little one today, take him/her back to the breeder to be weaned fully.

sleepysami

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sami
If you are new at handfeeding, be sure you are using a spoon not a syringe.

Soft cooked veggies, mashed are a good option to offer.

If you are unsuccessful feeding the little one today, take him/her back to the breeder to be weaned fully.
should I wait for him to beg or do you think he wouldn’t beg to me? He has not made the begging sounds since getting him . The breeder says he didn’t beg much anymore. Sorry for all the questions haha.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just remember, some people have more knowledge with these things than others.
My ignorance. Just trying to get it out there, the bird must be really hungry by now.
I was referring to the breeder's common-sense.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
105-107 is fine. Truly, the breeder should have kept the baby until it was fully weaned. You have to understand one thing, many breeders will let go at unweaned ages to free up their personal time of having to take care of babies. When you remove a chick from the rest of it's clutch mates it can be stressful and lower the confidence without the company of the other babies... which, at feeding time when one begins to beg the others follow suit and will also beg. Trigger response is greater in a group of hungry babies. Are you using a syringe or spoon? Are you in a well lit room? Sometimes dimming the lights to low will help as young ones at this age do recognize the same person that's been feeding them ( the breeder) and may not want to feed from a stranger in a new and strange environment. What are you keeping this young one in?

Exactly when did you bring it home? If it isn't eating any formula, not enough of pellets to sustain health and weight call the breeder and ask to bring it back for them to finish the feeding until it no longer accepts ANY formula. Just be honest and tell them you are fearful of taking care of such a wee one and would prefer to let them take that responsibility. It doesn't take long for these tiny beings to go downhill.... don't wait.

Lastly, hand feeding yourself does not mean a bird of any species will bond better to you and can often have negative results.