• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Seed Mixes

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Hi, everybody and everybirdy! I am wanting to switch the seed mix I've been feeding TD pretty much all of his life. I recently started all three of them on Roudybush crumbles. Oscar took to them immediately. TD is also eating them. AthenaDon, not so much. I still give them all some seed mix as well.

I've been using Zupreme's Smart Select for a long time. The main reason is because I never had an issue finding it when we were on the road, whereas some of the other brands were hit and miss. My big reason for wanting to try a new mix is bcuz TD has never eaten the orange and green pellets in the mix, and neither do Oscar or AthenaDon. So basically, I'm throwing half of the bag out and have been for far too long.

I found these three that I've not heard of before. Have any of you tried any of these?
1718036018828.jpg

1718036105473.jpg

1718036170533.jpg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Pickles&Co

Meeting neighbors
I looked at Dr. Harvey's but ultimately decided against it because 15% fat seemed awfully high for what I was comfortable with personally. I ended up settling on Volkman's no sunflower and have been very happy with it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree about Dr. Harvey's! It's very high fat for all of their blends.

Volkman is one to look at for sure.

The Kaytee one doesn't look too bad! But it's mostly pellets, and you may run into the same issue of waste.

The Birds Love one is a bit odd; don't know that I've seen a protein and fat percentage being so close together before (or maybe I just don't look at cockatiel foods often! ) There is a LOT of fruit in it though so I personally wouldn't feed it because my birds don't eat dried fruit.

My littles are on a mix of Higgins and White Mill currently. I'm not sure why seed mixes are so terrible these days!

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I agree about Dr. Harvey's! It's very high fat for all of their blends.

Volkman is one to look at for sure.

The Kaytee one doesn't look too bad! But it's mostly pellets, and you may run into the same issue of waste.

The Birds Love one is a bit odd; don't know that I've seen a protein and fat percentage being so close together before (or maybe I just don't look at cockatiel foods often! ) There is a LOT of fruit in it though so I personally wouldn't feed it because my birds don't eat dried fruit.

My littles are on a mix of Higgins and White Mill currently. I'm not sure why seed mixes are so terrible these days!
I was checking out the Higgins line of foods and was wondering which one you use.

Here's the info on the four types. The Sun Burst and Vita Seed have sunflower seeds in them, the other two do not.

Thanks for all your help.
1718116548857.jpg 1718116395046.jpg 1718116476619.jpg 1718116303294.jpg

I found it odd that the last one (Gormet) has such a high fat content.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm using the Budgie Vitaseed as that's what the breeder was feeding. So crazy how different the nutrients profiles are! Budgie seems to be lower fat than both canary and cockatiels. I wonder why?

I use the Mayan Harvest for Ripley.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I'm using the Budgie Vitaseed as that's what the breeder was feeding. So crazy how different the nutrients profiles are! Budgie seems to be lower fat than both canary and cockatiels. I wonder why?

I use the Mayan Harvest for Ripley.
Thanks, again!

Pickles&Co

Meeting neighbors
If your birds prefer smaller pieces I wouldn't recommend the safflower gold. We had a lot of waste because Popcorn didn't like the larger pieces which seemed geared more for conures (it's marketed for cockatiels/conures)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Another to consider, though again the fat is high!

Rebel

Jogging around the block

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I bought that once. The coconut ( i think thats what it is) pieces smell like soap. I tried a piece. Tastes like crap.I know its not actual soap but thats what it smells like. Never bought it again.
Bizarre!

It's interesting to me how we can have such strong emotions towards mixes. I tried the Sunseed Vita Prima Parrot Food for Ripley when I first got him and I won't feed it anymore and I can't even remember why :lol: I think the cheerio style pellets? I don't know.

Rebel

Jogging around the block
Bizarre!

It's interesting to me how we can have such strong emotions towards mixes. I tried the Sunseed Vita Prima Parrot Food for Ripley when I first got him and I won't feed it anymore and I can't even remember why :lol: I think the cheerio style pellets? I don't know.
Lol. It could be the cheerios. I find a few of those one the floor every now and then.