• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Ringneck owner

Ltrevino

Moving in
Real Name
L M Trevino
Hello, so glad I found this place!
I am a new owner of a precious 3 month old turqoise Indian ringneck. She is so sweet, lets us feed and touch her. I have a quick question though, she slightly puffs up while she sits on her perch through out the day. She is eating and drinking very well and does not show any signs of discomfort or sickness. Is this something I should be worried about? I am new to being a bird owner and any feedback is appricited!

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Welcome to the avenue!

Generally a puffed up bird is a relaxed one., the right kind of puffed up, when resting. Does the birdie lift up a foot too?
If so, good job, you have a happy bird.

Just in case pictures would be welcome. ( We love those here anyway)!

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
I hope you enjoy yours as much as we have ours. Our girl Sweetie-bird is a angelic lil marshmallow puff. Our recent rescue, Shrek, is... growing on us lol

We have only been IRN lovers for two years so there's still plenty to learn. Welcome to the flock. I look forward to learning along side you here. :)

Ltrevino

Moving in
Real Name
L M Trevino
Here she is again on top of my son's head! She's only been at home for 3 days and already knows her way around the entire house. Such a smart cookie!
20200706_180232_HDR.jpg

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to Asiatic bird life. I have a plumhead, also a psittacula! There is something really special about these birds. They are definitely smart cookies.

In the picture it looks like your bird has one winged clipped? It might just be the angle so please correct me if I am wrong. If it is a clip I encourage you to learn more. Clips should always be done evenly. That said I think it is critical for all birds to have their flight. There are of course unique situations, when some birds need to be clipped. However a healthy bird should have normal flight! :)

In addition to the health benefits it will have very positive emotional benefits and supports self-confidence.

Also a relaxed bird will puff! I appreciate your worry it means you are a caring bird family. The sign of a puffed ill parrot can be difficult for new owners to catch. As a good standard of care you should have a relationship with an avian vet, that way if there ever is something wrong you already know where you are headed!

I hope you find these tips helpful :) You are going to have many happy years with your bird.

Ltrevino

Moving in
Real Name
L M Trevino
Welcome to Asiatic bird life. I have a plumhead, also a psittacula! There is something really special about these birds. They are definitely smart cookies.

In the picture it looks like your bird has one winged clipped? It might just be the angle so please correct me if I am wrong. If it is a clip I encourage you to learn more. Clips should always be done evenly. That said I think it is critical for all birds to have their flight. There are of course unique situations, when some birds need to be clipped. However a healthy bird should have normal flight! :)

In addition to the health benefits it will have very positive emotional benefits and supports self-confidence.

Also a relaxed bird will puff! I appreciate your worry it means you are a caring bird family. The sign of a puffed ill parrot can be difficult for new owners to catch. As a good standard of care you should have a relationship with an avian vet, that way if there ever is something wrong you already know where you are headed!

I hope you find these tips helpful :) You are going to have many happy years with your bird.

Thank you for all your insight! They clipped her wings at the place that I got her. I preferred her not to have her wings clipped but they did not communicate very well at the pet store when I made the deposit for her, so I'm going to wait for them to grow out. I feel like they are a tab bit uneven and that they clipped too much because she is not even able to fly at all. She is three months and I wanted her to make sure she knew how to fly before considering clipping the wings at all, hopfully they grow back soon so she can get to flying like she should. Thank you for telling me about the puffing. She's happy and I am not worried about it too much now. The only real problem is that I live in a rural area in Texas and the nearest avian vet is 45 minutes away. And it's not even really an avian certified vet it is just a vet that has experience with birds. That's my biggest concern right now

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
This source can help you find a certified vet.

I drive more than an hour to my avian vet. It does make it challenging if there were an emergency. Touch wood so far we have only gone for routine checkups :)

Reactions: Ali

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Welcome to the Avenue! This forum is a gem for parrot owners.
She’s absolutely adorable, what’s her name? :heart2: