• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New ringneck mom

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Just make sure she isn’t outside without a harness or cage, because she could fly away or be attacked
So I do have her clipped right now until she grows her back tail because she can’t stop and before I clipped her I caught her a few Times midair before she hit the door and windows! I don’t want her hurting herself but I don’t want her to be caged up. So she can’t fly right now.. but my backyard is covered... so she’s safe! (-:
Btw if that’s your birdie on your profile pic! OMG!!! Gorgeous little thing!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Be very very cautious taking her outside without a harness or cage. It is not only dangerous, but IRN are amazingly strong fliers. Even with clipped wings if she catches the right breeze she can take off and be gone. I know it sounds unbelievable but I have read stories of IRN amazing talents at flying with clipped wings and I wouldn't risk it.

Harness training will be safer.

They sure love their wings

:fly2::fly2::fly2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Many here have lost clipped birds to flying away unfortunately. Clipped birds can still fly, just really poorly and are more prone to serious crash landings that often injure.
I totally agree that when outside you want your bird caged or harnessed at all times so it’s protected from any mishaps. If leaving the bird outside alone for a short time a secure cage (at least half sheltered) is a must, a harnessed bird must be totally supervised at all times for its safety.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Many here have lost clipped birds to flying away unfortunately. Clipped birds can still fly, just really poorly and are more prone to serious crash landings that often injure.
I totally agree that when outside you want your bird caged or harnessed at all times so it’s protected from any mishaps. If leaving the bird outside alone for a short time a secure cage (at least half sheltered) is a must, a harnessed bird must be totally supervised at all times for its safety.
Ok okay guys! Now I’m worried and won’t do that lol. I def want her safe... I’ll start looking for a harness... I’m glad I know that now....

thanks xoxo