• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New ringneck mom

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Is the shivering very slight? Just her feathers moving? Made me think of readjusting feathers during preening or settling down for a nap. It used to be really easy to see in my Tiel.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Is the shivering very slight? Just her feathers moving? Made me think of readjusting feathers during preening or settling down for a nap. It used to be really easy to see in my Tiel.

its usually very slight...
Just around her belly..
The last time I randomly saw it I called her out and she came fast.. she jumped on my finger and I could feel her shivering. It stopped about less than a min of me holding her. Her feathers totally relaxed and it stopped....

what do u suppose it is???

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
To share your videos you’ll need to link them from another site such as YouTube, IG, FB etc.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
its usually very slight...
Just around her belly..
The last time I randomly saw it I called her out and she came fast.. she jumped on my finger and I could feel her shivering. It stopped about less than a min of me holding her. Her feathers totally relaxed and it stopped....

what do u suppose it is???
They can shiver like you mention for a few reasons. My big boy only seems to shiver when he’s drying off or really scared and my little guy only does when he’s scared. Share your videos of her doing it and I’m sure the members familiar with ring neck behaviour will help you interpret the behaviour :)

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
They can shiver like you mention for a few reasons. My big boy only seems to shiver when he’s drying off or really scared and my little guy only does when he’s scared. Share your videos of her doing it and I’m sure the members familiar with ring neck behaviour will help you interpret the behaviour :)

Everyone has for sure been soooo helpful! I’m going to be asking a million questions and showing videos so I can learn. Lol

but I’m def going to try and post one...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The shiver is a release mechanism...she is "letting go" ...and starting to relax...a good sign!
As for challenging her...the best way to do that is let her be herself! It seems rather simplistic, but it's the easiest way for any living creature. If you "force" something on a bird, they will react in a negative way...always. This is particularly. noticeable in IRNs...being so independently minded.
They will simply ignore you...or worse, bite.
IRNs are fascinating birds...you're going to have fun together...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Oh yeah...wait until she grows back her beloved tail...IRNs are vain about it...but don't you DARE touch it! ;)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh yeah...wait until she grows back her beloved tail...IRNs are vain about it...but don't you DARE touch it! ;)
My Pi is so rude with his tail! He always hits me in the eye when he turns and seems to drag it in everything. I wish he was more vain about his gorgeous plumhead tail! But alas he is a silly tail slapper!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It's something about their tails....they're protective about them...but they'll slam them into anything they can!
Titan was big on running his tail into the cage bars...even though he had plenty of room in his cage!

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
The shiver is a release mechanism...she is "letting go" ...and starting to relax...a good sign!
As for challenging her...the best way to do that is let her be herself! It seems rather simplistic, but it's the easiest way for any living creature. If you "force" something on a bird, they will react in a negative way...always. This is particularly. noticeable in IRNs...being so independently minded.
They will simply ignore you...or worse, bite.
IRNs are fascinating birds...you're going to have fun together...

Yay! Thanks!!

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
It's something about their tails....they're protective about them...but they'll slam them into anything they can!
Titan was big on running his tail into the cage bars...even though he had plenty of room in his cage!

hahahah so funny,
Question.... my boyfriend always wears baby lotion! I can smell it.... is that going to freaking kill my baby???

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
hahahah so funny,
Question.... my boyfriend always wears baby lotion! I can smell it.... is that going to freaking kill my baby???
The smell of baby lotion (as far as I know) shouldn’t kill your bird but if you can get scent free then that’s always the best option.
I purchase low or no scent everything whenever it’s possible.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
hahahah so funny,
No.
By the way, what's you little one's name?

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
No.
her name is Raja and I gave her a
No.
The first name we came up with was Tostito hahahahaha cause her color... but I wanted a real one so I thought of Raja (hope) Ruya (vision, sight) so Raja Ruya

but idk!!! I’m so picky and I wanted it to mean something.... what do u think??? Lol

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
couple of points and info for you
- no candles, air freshners, or chemical cleaners
- no cookware that has PTFE AND OR PFOA which are commonly found in NONSTICK and TEFLON, so if you don't know the exact composition of the pans coating best not to use it, you can find lots of options that are ptfe and pfoa free like ceramic coated, stainless steel, cast iron, and anything else PTFE AND PFOA free
-what diet is your parrot eating?
-have you tried to find the owner?
-ph and can we see her current cage setup?
-has the vet given an estimate of age, cuz if shes young then theres a chance she could actually be a he

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Raja! :irngf:

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
couple of points and info for you
- no candles, air freshners, or chemical cleaners
- no cookware that has PTFE AND OR PFOA which are commonly found in NONSTICK and TEFLON, so if you don't know the exact composition of the pans coating best not to use it, you can find lots of options that are ptfe and pfoa free like ceramic coated, stainless steel, cast iron, and anything else PTFE AND PFOA free
-what diet is your parrot eating?
-have you tried to find the owner?
-ph and can we see her current cage setup?
-has the vet given an estimate of age, cuz if shes young then theres a chance she could actually be a he
Hi

We’re currently trying to find some good stainless steel.... in the meantime I put her outside and get all the cooking done in the morning. I let it air out for about two hours or more while she plays outside. She safe,we have a smaaaalll backyard, HIGH walls and a cover..I usually put her bath out there during that time which she juuuuat started using!!!! Cutest thing!!!! Lol

Candles and all that I put away since the first night.

diet: I make a organic chop for her in the morning, then I give her a seed mix. She gets 1-2 organic almonds a week, about 2 of Sun a day or more if I work outside (she has shade as well)..

I did look for the owner up until I took her to two vets and a bird farm, a lady I know who raises these birdies. They all said to either keep her or take her to a Rehabilitation center. All three said she looked beat up and not taken care of, her booty feathers were ripped out and stuff about her feet and beak.

idk what PH is haha sorry buuuut as far as her cage set up I’m talking to someone regarding a cage I want to buy from them... but in the meantime I have this one. It is small in my opinion especially when she gets her tail back. But it’s never closed unless it’s time for bed. She seems to already know the schedule I have her on. Lol so funny.
She usually starts to get comfy around 9-10 (she’s active ALL DAY LOL) so I cover her up and make sure she’s comfy until about 8-9 the next morning depending the time she goes into her cage. If it’s 9:30 she’s chirping away! Sometimes she calls for me earlier... but not usually. We do about 30min to 1 hour of good morning and kisses. She eats her food then she comes out when she’s ready Lol... she has plenty of toys but I was just told by one of these girlies to make sure it’s the right kind of wood, so I’m looking around and researching.

She was really hard and mean the first two weeks but with patience and some apples she def dif. The sounds she makes are so hard to ignore they’re soooooo cute!!! Ugh my heart!!!

let me know if I should change anything or add..

Oh and if u have any food suggestions or pans you’ve used u like that are safe for her please let me know

Xo

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just make sure she isn’t outside without a harness or cage, because she could fly away or be attacked