• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Ringneck mom

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Hi guys,

Im sorry if I sound silly.
I found a beat up ringneck about 5 weeks ago. The vet said she wasn’t in a good place and was mistreated.
I decided to keep her, I did a lot of research and took it easy with her. Well I’m able to kiss her beautiful beak and she comes when I call...but I’m still learning guys so please be gentle lol

I’m currently ordering new pans and all plug-ins and candles are gone. But in the meantime we have to eat. I Put her outside during this time and it’s usually really nice outside. But if it happens to be at night, how long should I air out the house before bringing her in? And is 63 degrees outside ok for her? how long can she take that temp for? Some research says 50 is fine but that’s COLD to me!!! I also cover her...

also! Any extra tips on this baby doll would be welcomed! Doesn’t have to be about This question at all... throw them at me! Please!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m guessing all your cooking pans are Teflon?

The outside temp that is safe fir your bird will also depend on what your bird is currently acclimatised to.
For my guys who live indoors with a steady temp (of no lower than 20C) putting them outside in the 8C temps for even ten minutes would be pretty horrid for them, my neighbours have birds that live outside and are doing just fine in the temps we have here today.

If you are using Teflon then you want to make sure (as you already are) that your bird isn’t exposed to the same air just incase. I’d personally air the place out really well (till you’ve moved all food smells for example) to make sure the possibly contaminated air has been fully exchanged for fresh air.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Yes all Teflon, but I’m going to change all that, I’m looking for safe pans this week.

My bird was found not far from where I live. Our window are always open. So it’s always cool but the temp is def cooler outside. It’s currently 63 outside and probably around 68/70 inside? I mean all the windows are open so I’m just guessing. It’s been about 2-2.5 hours since we cooked and I just brought her in, into my room and covered her.
I’ve been reading this whole time and can’t find anything that tells me how long I should wait

do u think that was good enough??

PICTURE:
Left side entrance is the kitchen
Right entrance u can see the door open(I closed it) that’s my room that’s she’s in.

OH an am I allowed to microwave food and eat it in the same room with her??? ‍♀♀♀

Thank u so much for helping out!

Attachments

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
Don’t worry about sounding silly! That’s what AA is here for. To ask questions :heart2:

To answer yours:
I think that is long enough :tup:
Microwaving food in the same room will not harm your bird. Hope all is going well with your bird :irnb::irngf::irnw::irnym:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yes all Teflon, but I’m going to change all that, I’m looking for safe pans this week.

My bird was found not far from where I live. Our window are always open. So it’s always cool but the temp is def cooler outside. It’s currently 63 outside and probably around 68/70 inside? I mean all the windows are open so I’m just guessing. It’s been about 2-2.5 hours since we cooked and I just brought her in, into my room and covered her.
I’ve been reading this whole time and can’t find anything that tells me how long I should wait

do u think that was good enough??

PICTURE:
Left side entrance is the kitchen
Right entrance u can see the door open(I closed it) that’s my room that’s she’s in.

OH an am I allowed to microwave food and eat it in the same room with her??? ‍♀♀♀

Thank u so much for helping out!

There is no known safety time as such when it comes to Teflon which is why we all just don’t use anything Teflon (which is in so much more than just cooking pans- yell out if you need examples of everything you may find Teflon in), if you’ve fully aired out the house and you can’t smell the food you cooked in the Teflon pans then you are most likely safe but I won’t guarantee it. Just switch pans ASAP to PTFE PFOA free pans. I personally use Stainless steel as I like it and it is definitely safe.
I threw out many of my older plastics for the microwave as they had a weird smell when they got hot but I microwave food all the time with no problems, even microwave with my birds in the room but I never feed my birds any warm food from the microwave unless it’s almost gone completely cold as it can have hot spots which can be a serious problem.
Most certainly you can (and should if you are able to) eat in the same room as your bird and if you’re eating bird safe food (if you need a list of foods that are a definite no no for birds let us know!) then offer your bird some. They usually really enjoy eating with us and will often try new foods if they see us eating them.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
I love this!!! Thank u so much! I’m so scared to hurt her...

yes please send me a list of foods she can’t eat...so helpful! Xoxo

oh and what happens if I do my hair (i don’t use a blow dryer) but I put product in it?

or shower in my room where shes at? Is the shampoo smell bad? Cause I can smell the shower sometimes when I walk into the room?

does the Baby lotion that my boyfriend puts on in the same room bad? (I made him leave the room lol)

thanks again!I love the help!

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Don’t worry about sounding silly! That’s what AA is here for. To ask questions :heart2:

To answer yours:
I think that is long enough :tup:
Microwaving food in the same room will not harm your bird. Hope all is going well with your bird :irnb::irngf::irnw::irnym:

aaawwww thank u so much!!! I’m so in love and impressed with this birdie!
hope your doing well with your bird family as well xo

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
It's good that you care enough to be safe. As I understand it teflon only emits toxic fumes when it's heated to a high temperature. I tend to believe that because I cooked for over a decade with teflon pans with a cockatiel in the next room and no problems. I didn't know about teflon then. To be safe do your cooking on low or med heat, not high, and you will have less to be concerned about till you get new pans

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:welcomesign: Ringnecks are awesome!