• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Ringneck has a neurological disorder?

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
Hey, I'm new here and I got my Indian Ringneck about a month ago and he paces left and right and at the same time he looks up. He's eating, pooping, and chirping throughout the day. He also stops the pacing here and there. I took him to the vet and he's free from parasites but unfortunately the exotic vet told me that he can start feather plucking then told me I should get him a friend which I can't and also keep him out will help. The store I got him from keeps the birds outside a cage the whole day. I feel like I need some more answers help?!.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Can you film the pacing? It might help use answer your question.

It sounds like a bird who wants out of the cage to me. :)

Neurological is a possibility so the video will help.

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I think he wants out of the cage! How much time each day do you let him out?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree with Tricia. The pacing behaviour looks like a bird who wants out. If he was accustom to being out often he will be impatient sitting around all day. He is bored.

My plumhead (similar to IRN) gets at least 6 hours out of the cage every day. Normally he is out more like 10 hours.

When I need to leave him in the cage longer I ensure he has enough toys. These birds are intense chewers and need some toys to chew. You can also can create games for them in the form of foraging toys. They are very intelligent birds and enjoy a little challenge. My guy likes wooden pieces that hang. He holds them in his foot and chews them up or climbs on them. You do not want to use cotton ropes as they have been documented eating the cotton fiber. This can lead to very serious complications or death. Stick to sisal rope or leather.

Your bird would also benefit from a large cage. A flight cage will suit your bird if you aren't home enough to let him out. He needs to climb, fly and chew to be happy.

IMG_6213.JPG IMG_6325.JPG

Let us know how it goes. :)

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
I agree with Tricia. The pacing behaviour looks like a bird who wants out. If he was accustom to being out often he will be impatient sitting around all day. He is bored.

My plumhead (similar to IRN) gets at least 6 hours out of the cage every day. Normally he is out more like 10 hours.

When I need to leave him in the cage longer I ensure he has enough toys. These birds are intense chewers and need some toys to chew. You can also can create games for them in the form of foraging toys. They are very intelligent birds and enjoy a little challenge. My guy likes wooden pieces that hang. He holds them in his foot and chews them up or climbs on them. You do not want to use cotton ropes as they have been documented eating the cotton fiber. This can lead to very serious complications or death. Stick to sisal rope or leather.

Your bird would also benefit from a large cage. A flight cage will suit your bird if you aren't home enough to let him out. He needs to climb, fly and chew to be happy.

View attachment 304025 View attachment 304026

Let us know how it goes. :)
What are the dimensions of your cage?

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Looks like the IRN wants out.

I understand that it might not be feasible to let the bird out hours on end. I know I can't, with work and my balancing act with my other 6 birds. But when you can let him/her out try to make that time fun and exciting. When Joey comes out we do safe chores together such as dishes and laundry. She tries to help and enjoys the "play" out of the cage. I also let her out to help grade my students work. She sits on my head, or shoulder or keyboard... Once again, she thinks it's a game and just enjoys being out with Mom.
You have to watch with IRNs, in my experience with Joey she can become upset if her routine is broken. She's a wonderful girl, but they do seem to lash out quickly if they think they're not being paid attention to. I had a seminar that I had to go to and I wasn't able to get in much time with my babies, Joey took it the hardest. But we went back to the routine and she's happy.