• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Rescue, Yellow Naped Amazon

Elizabeth3

Moving in
Hello, I'm new. I previously lived with Amelia, my severe macaw. It's been six years since she has been lost. Recently I decided I was ready to bring a new bird home, applied and was approved, and then was matched with and met a lovely yellow naped Amazon. Here's what I know about him:
1. He's had at least three homes, and is thought to be 38-40 years old.
2. He's been DNA sexed male.
3. He has been cage bound for at least 5 years.
4. He was covered from 6pm-11am for those years.

I brought him home two weeks ago yesterday, and decided the first thing I would do is give him free range to go in and out as he wishes.
Here's what our routine looks like:
1. He's covered from 9pm-9am
2. At 9am, I ask him to target and then open the door (target training is going well, he doesn't seem to like hands)
3. I ask him to target and give him breakfast
4. He's then allowed to go in and out of his cage as he wishes, until bed time.
5. I introduce 1 new item per day-toys, training perch, new foods-he gets to decide what he interacts with and doesn't.

I haven't taken him to the vet yet as I felt he should be given time to acclimate to his new environment. On Sunday (his 10th day here), he started playing "Attack Bird", flying at me, landing on me, and biting. I think I have his body language well-established after a few of these incidents and will not interact with him if he looks "attacky"-eyes pinning, tail fanned, crouched low. I know that building a relationship will take time, and I've read that progress can be very slow. Since he's my first Amazon, I'd love some (supportive) feedback and any guidance more experienced Amazon parents may have.
Thank you, Elizabeth

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Hello, I'm new. I previously lived with Amelia, my severe macaw. It's been six years since she has been lost. Recently I decided I was ready to bring a new bird home, applied and was approved, and then was matched with and met a lovely yellow naped Amazon. Here's what I know about him:
1. He's had at least three homes, and is thought to be 38-40 years old.
2. He's been DNA sexed male.
3. He has been cage bound for at least 5 years.
4. He was covered from 6pm-11am for those years.

I brought him home two weeks ago yesterday, and decided the first thing I would do is give him free range to go in and out as he wishes.
Here's what our routine looks like:
1. He's covered from 9pm-9am
2. At 9am, I ask him to target and then open the door (target training is going well, he doesn't seem to like hands)
3. I ask him to target and give him breakfast
4. He's then allowed to go in and out of his cage as he wishes, until bed time.
5. I introduce 1 new item per day-toys, training perch, new foods-he gets to decide what he interacts with and doesn't.

I haven't taken him to the vet yet as I felt he should be given time to acclimate to his new environment. On Sunday (his 10th day here), he started playing "Attack Bird", flying at me, landing on me, and biting. I think I have his body language well-established after a few of these incidents and will not interact with him if he looks "attacky"-eyes pinning, tail fanned, crouched low. I know that building a relationship will take time, and I've read that progress can be very slow. Since he's my first Amazon, I'd love some (supportive) feedback and any guidance more experienced Amazon parents may have.
Thank you, Elizabeth
not an amazon parent, but check the amazon parrot forum !! however it seems that you're doing well !! be kind to yourself, I think you're doing really well so far!!! proud of you for understanding his body language !! if he's scared of hands, maybe try getting him to step up on a towel over your hand, it will get him a bit more used to your hands. How's his play time looking so far? Any favorite kinds of toys?

Elizabeth3

Moving in
Thank you! I will check out the Amazon forum. He loves his foraging ball (full of paper to shred) and will occasionally play with his bar bell. I'm pleased that he doesn't seem to be scared of toys.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Thank you! I will check out the Amazon forum. He loves his foraging ball (full of paper to shred) and will occasionally play with his bar bell. I'm pleased that he doesn't seem to be scared of toys.
if he loves paper shredding maybe try out this !! bird-supplies

If he likes stainless steel toys, try stuff from Stainless Steel Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
they're a vendor from the forums :D
They have some nice foraging and shredding toys on planet pleasures !! :cantwait:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome!

I was a newbie once. He sounds like mine.

First, you need to train for a transport stick. @JLcribber may be able to pass a link to a thread about that. It saves blood (yours).

You're learning signs. That's awesome. Amazons are easy to read.

Organic carrots are good. Secret takes out anger on them, then eats them.

MC couldn't be removed from his cage. Yet I could slide a tree stand over, he'd hop on, I'd move the tree stand away from cage and suddenly we were best friends.

I read somewhere to always leave them wanting so if you skritch (Amazon in cage, between the bars.... those guys are fast), quit while their head is down.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I adopted Charlie a YNA that had several health problems when we got him. I don't have any experience with the flying at you just the ground attacks. All the bites I got from Charlie were my fault. I thought I could move faster than him. Not. I didn't realize how far they could stretch their necks. He had one toy that he loved a little pink plastic ring. One day I saw it was stuck in the cage bars and I saw he was about 2 foot away looking out the window. I reached in to get it and next thing I knew he was hanging on to two of my fingers. Unfortunately it was the two fingers I just had surgery on from losing the ends in a machine. Charlie rearranged my stitches real quick. After a year he wanted to step up on me. Unfortunately we lost him to PHD. After years of abuse he still was willing to trust with time. Your doing wonderful.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have no experience with birds flying at me.

My birds were given a slight wing trim when I brought them home. They'd had no medical care for years and toenails needed trimmed. The bird store I took them to (now closed) suggested the trim to avoid what you're facing.

While I kept them trimmed for years, Secret hasn't been trimmed for well over a year (before MC passed away from cancer). If Secret ever starts flying attacks, we will go back to the slight trim.

That trim allows them to get down to the floor and not drop like a stone but doesn't allow them to fly up (supposedly . . . but frankly, I'd still be careful because a ticked off Amazon may be little but they are like a HUGE dinosaur in my mind).

When the birds first moved in Secret got out and my husband and I had to use a broom stick to get her back in the cage. Secret stepped up on that stick and charged whoever held it..... the other spouse would grab the other end of the stick and the one charged would lift their hands...... back and forth in our kitchen to the cage.

Elizabeth3

Moving in
Thank you-I am hoping to make a trip to the vet soon because his nails are overgrown and I want to ensure he's physically healthy. I will also ask about the slight wing clip; although I'd prefer to have him fully flighted, my various wounds make your suggestion seem wise.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you-I am hoping to make a trip to the vet soon because his nails are overgrown and I want to ensure he's physically healthy. I will also ask about the slight wing clip; although I'd prefer to have him fully flighted, my various wounds make your suggestion seem wise.
Do you have a good avian vet?

Folks might be able to give recommendations if they know your general area (state if in US).

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You sound like your doing pretty good with him. I though second a slight trim to keep him from really launching at you. Your safety is prime concern, and a frightened owner makes less progress than one who feels a bit safer.

I also feel you may be at the end of the honeymoon and are now seeing the feisty bird he really is. Pretty feisty for one of that age too! I'm also guessing 'hoping' once you get things worked out, that the attacks will calm down. In many areas this is prime breeding season so that may be adding to his behavior.

Mine has gone through stages where he bites more also. These stages come and go, at least that's what I've seen with mine. I don't have a YN though, and they can be a handful.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks for taking the challenge of helping this Amazon. Sounds like he;s been thru heck.
Hope he comes around & is grateful. No amazon experience myself but hopefully there will be some good advice to get you two in a harmonious direction!

Elizabeth3

Moving in
I do; The Center for Avian & Exotic Medicine in Manhattan. My turtle and bearded dragon are both current patients.
Update: his first vet appointment went well. He has glaucoma and two benign tumors. It’ll be a few days before his bloodwork and fecal results come back. They said considering what he’s experienced he’s in really good shape! So I’m cautiously optimistic.

Manny2000

Meeting neighbors
Hello, Good luck with your bird!!! New to the forum :) I also have a mature male Yellow Naped Amazon.