• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Rescue Grey

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
Hi All -

I've been a member since my girl was a baby (she just turned 11 on 3/17) but I recently was contacted to take in a rescue CAG. Her name is Lucy and she's 35 yo and was with her owner the entire time. He has been diagnosed with dementia and unfortunately his mental health has declined significantly to where he can no longer care for Lucy. She has plucked due to the change in their daily routine. I picked her up yesterday and we've had a good night. She's a sweet girl but she's VERY scared. Shaking :-( but chatty. She grinded her beak before bed last night so I felt that was a good sign.

This morning she kept telling me "Hi, I'm Lucy." I was very happy to hear that. She had waffles and strawberries and ate it like a champ. (more berries than waffles - to be clear). She does have cage aggression but it's more out of fear than anger. She doesn't want to hurt me. She just wants me to know to leave her be. Which I have been. She did bite me yesterday when I went to bring her to her cage from the carrier. She had escaped the carrier and she's fully flighted - so I tried to get her to step up and she zinged my forearm BUT it was a hard pinch and NOT a bite - so that's fear more than anything.

She and my girl have wellness checks this Thursday. She has a band on her ankle that I want to have removed, too. I hate bands - they make me nervous.

The girls are separated for now but they can see each other across the room and can "talk"

Any other good advice to help her acclimate? I know it will take time but I just want to make her more comfortable. (Video attached) Lucy sent my Rigby a Kiss :)

Attachments

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
Sorry, video wouldn't attach so I had to attach a pic of Lucy settling in :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome back! It's lovely to see you again! I remember when you first got Rigby! Hard to believe it's been 11 years!
Congratulations on your new girlie,I'm confident that Lucy will open up to you and that she will be a lovely companion for you and Rigby.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
CAG's like things to move slow. The fact that she is talking is a good sign she should settle in well. I suggest once you get her to step up take her for a walk around your home. Touch things & explain to her what everything is, let her beak them. This lets her know things aren't going to eat her.