• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Red crowned amazon

alitherook

Moving in
Hi, i just adopted a 2 and 1/2 year old green cheek amazon or red crowned amazon named rio. I dont know what the gender is but the previous owner named him rio who he said was a male but no real test, and he sold him to me because he was moving to an appartment. When i got him, he was scared in his carrier and his wings looked all messed up because he was in the carrier for 2 days very unfortunately (was not my idea and i didnt know anything about it untill he told me). When i got home i let him into the cage i have at home, he was starving and thirsty. After a few hours i approached him carefully and he accepted a treat from me, something i didnt expect to happen so soon. He wasnt in the defensive flared mode either, more in the scared feathers flat mode. He was also preening, eating while i was there, and he feels like he needs to eat whenever im in the room. I realized he was kind of calm with me because i approached him very slowly, and only talked in a soft voice, and i didnt whistle, click or make kiss sounds. Other members of my family approached him a little quicker on the second day for the first time, and they made those noises in a medium volume, and he started pinning his eyes and flaring, but i dont know if he was getting angry or defensive. Later on they started giving him treats so he calmed down when they approached him later on. Btw, he was in my room since he came. The second day i taught him to step on a perch i attached to the door, and i started giving him treats and he was climbing around the outside of the cage and i was giving him treats by hand. After half an hour he went back in. So, after this essay, sorry for it being so long, what are your guys' thoughts and how i should progress? And should i get its wings clipped just once until its more trained since i dont know if it will try to fly and attack someone?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like things are going well. Just try to take things at his pace. Opinions differ on wing clipping but I personally feel if it can be avoided, it's best not to clip. It's better for a bird mentally and physically to be flighted.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the wonderful world of amazons.....and, of course, Avian Avenue.

Zons are easier to read in my humble opinion.

Take things slow, that's always the best. Meanwhile, I encourage you to read up on "the honeymoon period".

alitherook

Moving in
I realized he only likes the food I give him (I give it to him by hand as a treat as well as feeding) and he doesnt take treats even in his bowl. Today he got to the top of the cage since there is a playtop thing, and it was his bedtime so I was trying to figure out how to get him back into his cage (I had no choice since I sleep in that room). He didn't want to go in so I had to bring my small perch to try to make him step up with a treat (his food) but he wasn't hungry and I think he knows what stepping up is but he hates it because I lightly touched his foot on accident and didn't like it, but his previous owner used to step him up all the time. He is actually kind of gentle since his first response to the perch was curiosity and little to no aggression. Then he started giving himself a head scratch with my perch which was very surprising, so now I guess he likes me to give head scratches with the perch when im holding it because he puts his head down but no stepping up of course.

alitherook

Moving in
Oh, and he went into the cage eventually, but my main problem is he doesn't like any treats beside his food, and only when he's hungry, so I don't know how I will train him to step up to a perch or my hand in the future after he gets fully adjusted to my house.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pumpkin seeds in shell (I break in half), pistachio (unsalted of course), regular cheerios, ate a few of the treats I use for my amazons. They also love the senior nutriberries and scurry to their bowls when those go in.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Is he curious about what you do put in his food bowl? Sometimes when Lucy wont go back in when I want her to, I go get one of her treat bags, she knows what these are, but instead of giving her the treat, I open the small feeder door and put it in her bowl. This usually works like a charm, she may not be hungry, but she knows I put something in her bowl.
Same goes for a wooden bucket she has hanging in her cage, I will put a small block of wood in there or some other foot toy and she cant help herself but go see what it is.
BTW the wooden bucket is her favorite thing in her cage, Ive had to put a new bottom on it twice, but she still plays with it even without a bottom.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@txdyna65 Where'd you get a wooden bucket?

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
@Clueless Very good question, Whenever Lucy chewed the bottom out of it, I tried to find that same bucket with no luck.
So I turned a round piece of wood on my lathe and glued it onto the bottom. Ive done this twice now, if she ever chews the bucket up, Im going to just turn one that size on my lathe.
I thought I had a picture of it, but dont. I will see if I can get a pic of it tomorrow and post it. Maybe someone else will know where to get it.
Funny thing is, she doesnt chew up the bucket, but somehow manages to get the bottoms out of it.

alitherook

Moving in
He does get interested when i put treats in his bowl, but he prefers his pellets. Another thing, he steps up to my small perch when it is supported by the cage so there is no movement when he steps, but he still knows i'm holding it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He does get interested when i put treats in his bowl, but he prefers his pellets. Another thing, he steps up to my small perch when it is supported by the cage so there is no movement when he steps, but he still knows i'm holding it.
So you're getting there!

alitherook

Moving in
I discovered he only talks to my mom and younger brother and is very interested in everything she and he does. For me hes more quiet and doesn't talk back when I say something, and more scared.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I discovered he only talks to my mom and younger brother and is very interested in everything she and he does. For me hes more quiet and doesn't talk back when I say something, and more scared.
If you're the one feeding him, do you have to get inside his cage?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Rio.