• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New rainbow lorikeet

Mango&Five

Meeting neighbors
I recently got a Rainbow Lorikeet, I already own four lovebirds but just fell in love with this bird when I saw it and knew I had to get her.

I’m not sure of her age, but it’s a girl and I’ve named her Fruitloop.
I did research on Lorikeets before I got her, but have a question that google can’t seem to answer.

I’ve had her for around 3 days now, she keeps climbing to the top of the cage and then just plopping herself to the bottom.She doesn’t try to fly or anything, she just drops. Is that normal? Can she hurt herself doing it?
She doesn’t really seem to know how to fly too well. She flys into the tv a lot. Will she learn how to fly eventually or is this something that’s going to keep happening

2. What kind of toys do lorikeets like to play with?

3. Does anyone have any good advice?

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's adorable and I love the name! Is she clipped at all or fully flighted? that and how old she is/how much flying practice she got can be factors in the flying aspect. She maybe doing that plopping to the cage bottom because she's a clumsy baby and not paying attention or maybe she's aiming for a perch but keeps missing? My young CBC 6 months old does something similar he's forever just jumping to the bottom of his cage I think because he's too impatient to climb down in all honesty he wants to go where he wants when he wants and thats the quickest way in his mind. They can hurt themselves yes unfortunately Tobias injured his leg about 2 weeks ago I wasn't there when it happened but I'm sure it was because he was jumping down and not paying attention. Thankfully it was only a soft tissue injury and after a week in his baby cage he's fine now. Maybe you could pad the cage bottom with a soft towel to help break her falls?
Youll just have to be really careful that she isn't ingesting any fibers or threads and that she doesn't burrow under it and smother.
Congrats on your little one she's so precious :heart:

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
I recently got a Rainbow Lorikeet, I already own four lovebirds but just fell in love with this bird when I saw it and knew I had to get her.

I’m not sure of her age, but it’s a girl and I’ve named her Fruitloop.
I did research on Lorikeets before I got her, but have a question that google can’t seem to answer.

I’ve had her for around 3 days now, she keeps climbing to the top of the cage and then just plopping herself to the bottom.She doesn’t try to fly or anything, she just drops. Is that normal? Can she hurt herself doing it?
She doesn’t really seem to know how to fly too well. She flys into the tv a lot. Will she learn how to fly eventually or is this something that’s going to keep happening

2. What kind of toys do lorikeets like to play with?

3. Does anyone have any good advice?
about the age, she is very young, you can tell because her beak is dark :) shes probably maybe 2 months old? my baby is 4 months old now and his beak is mostly orange now. mine hasnt ever really just dropped, but I've seen others that do that haha. my lorikeet absolutely loves toys that make noise and things he can shred and pick at, he also likes hanging upside down on things. your average parrot toys I'd say Resized_20210920_185517_5745.jpeg (my bird at a little over 2 months for reference)

Last edited: