• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New quakers

Wikidwonka

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Randy Dickerson
Me and my wife got 2 quakers they came as a pair they said one was male one female but other than their word its unconfirmed but here goes.

Both of them were very bitey when we picked them up but first day the male started being okay with us its day 4 now and he rides on my oldest daughters shoulder but still try's to nip my younger one. The female just today climbed up my arm and sat on my shoulder for a while and let me get her although she prefers to be petted with and over mit. Yesterday I noticed she had pulled put some tail feathers (they were almost falling off anyways) and she was scratching at her neck today i noticed the area was all red and crusty like she had scratched it till she bleed. I practically watched her do it so I know he didnt do it to her hes jiat fine and so are my parakeets so I'm doubting its mites. I was told it could be stress because they have a ton of toys in there so it's likely not boredom. She womt let me clean it or mess with it we gave her a shower since she would get in a bath willingly and she didnt seem to mind.

So my question is what should I do about her if she continues scratching? Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated.

Also any taming tips would be much appreciated.

Reactions: Ali

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
There is a search feature at the upper right corner of the site... and this is where I came up with these links below ... you can search it more too - just type in 'quaker plucking'. (Or Quaker mutilation)
1st thing would be to remove any stressors that you could possibly think of from the room they are in... then, of course - the vet. Some stressors for birds are included in this article:

Good luck, I have no experience with Quakers, but hopefully you will get some ideas of things that might reduce stress for her.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I would take your Quakers to and avian vet ASAP to rule out physical problems including Metal toxicity and allergies