• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Quaker advice please!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
This is his cage, just about to give it a clean out but I know this will stress him so have put it off for a few days, loads more toys due to be delivered tomorrow.
what do you recommend for somewhere for him to hide and I’ve seen how unsafe some of these huts can be.
I’ve decided against having him clipped, it just doesn’t feel right for me.
thanks all!
My Quakers like the timothy grass "huts" or habitats that one can find for rabbits and rodents - like these timothy grass huts - Google Search

You can use zip ties to attach them to the cage top and sides and it will give him something to weave things into. I know that somewhere here on AA there is a thread about a Quaker called Sparky (I believe) and showed his weaving skills. I believe I also posted pix of my Quaker JJ's weaving too.

Last edited:

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
4 months is till very young, this means you have time to spare.. taming is not yet a priority. Getting him used to your household is ;-)

I would just let him be. His cage is a nice size, he has his toys, he won’t be bored :) Let him get used to his surroundings first. Remember, its like you waking up in a completely alien world (planet X34-L with its red plants and large flying monkeys with HUGE teeth wanting to eat you). You’ll be scared and alone, behind every three could be a predator. But after a few days, you start to learn which places are safe to hide, where to find eatable vegeatables. And after months you have build a home on this strange foreign planet.

so too is it or your little companion. He needs to figure out his home, and the new world around him. He needs to figure out who wants to eat him (i imagine its not any o the humans) and who doesnt.

But you are on a good start! We’d love to see more pics as time goes by, he’s a green gem for sure! :heart: