• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Quaker advice please!

rueben1103

Meeting neighbors
I got my 4 month old untamed Quaker today and he has escaped his travel cage when we got home and I cannot for the life of me think how to get the little guy into his actual cage. He screams and flys off if I go anywhere near him. Do I just leave him for a few days to settle? And let him roam free?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got my 4 month old untamed Quaker today and he has escaped his travel cage when we got home and I cannot for the life of me think how to get the little guy into his actual cage. He screams and flys off if I go anywhere near him. Do I just leave him for a few days to settle? And let him roam free?
Eek. I wonder if you could encourage him into a smaller area? Like a bathroom? Then perhaps you could catch him a towel. Or maybe put the cage near him with some food treats. Tell us more so we can offer some ideas.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Close all the shades & curtains in your home/apartment and leave lights on in the smallest room in your home (like a bathroom). With any luck, he'll fly into the room that has light in it which should make it easier for you to catch him.

Quakers are exceptionally intelligent when it comes to escaping a cage. I have miniature padlocks on Quaker JJ's cage because he can and will figure out how to open any cage door be it an entrance or for food or water. If you think you're frustrated now, consider coming home to a house in which all the other birds were let loose by one of the Quakers who, not only let himself out, but opened the cage doors to all the other birdys' cages.:shocking::bash::bash: :ovract:

P.S. Welcome to AA! Does your little green feathered monster have a name yet other than Houdini? :wink2:

rueben1103

Meeting neighbors
SandraK that made me laugh! He’s been named rueben (eldest son named him!) managed with a towel as sneakily as I could and grabbed the little bugger! He actually lay very still for a pet for 5 minutes then started screaming. I placed him in his cage and he let me stroke him with a stick, but the closer my hand got he started to scream.
move left him alone for the night now (I’m uk)
some tips on how to tame him would be great or links? I was told he was hand tamed by the breeder but he doesn’t appear to be at all tamed (my mother in law collected him for me as he was a good few hours away from me and she was coming over)
is wing clipping cruel, just until he knows us and is tamed?
I feel awful, I’d read so much for so long on quakers and just feel like I’ve failed thepoor boy even though it’s only been 4 hours!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
It won’t hurt to leave him in his cage for a few days and not let him out unless he gets out by himself and sit and read to him an additional 30 does not scream at and put treats in his bowl as you walk bye until he get used to you

tielcharm

Moving in
Real Name
Erica
SandraK that made me laugh! He’s been named rueben (eldest son named him!) managed with a towel as sneakily as I could and grabbed the little bugger! He actually lay very still for a pet for 5 minutes then started screaming. I placed him in his cage and he let me stroke him with a stick, but the closer my hand got he started to scream.
move left him alone for the night now (I’m uk)
some tips on how to tame him would be great or links? I was told he was hand tamed by the breeder but he doesn’t appear to be at all tamed (my mother in law collected him for me as he was a good few hours away from me and she was coming over)
is wing clipping cruel, just until he knows us and is tamed?
I feel awful, I’d read so much for so long on quakers and just feel like I’ve failed thepoor boy even though it’s only been 4 hours!
Don't worry you're not failing him, he just needs some time. It's good to hear that you did research :) People have different opinions on wing clipping, so go with whatever you think is best. And as for taming maybe just search how to tame quakers and watch some videos or read some articles. I'm sure he'll become tame soon :)

rueben1103

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the reassurance and help! Ruben is still squawking lots when I change his food and water and will flap all around his cage (I tell him what I’m doing as I do it) he’s still very nervous of me. I was seriously considering having him clipped but no vets near me will do it, every single one has refused with one vet even telling me I was mutilating my bird and I shouldn’t have him. I explained it was so we could get him out his cage without worrying he’s going to hurt himself by flying into windows etc. I’ve brought a small book on clipping and have read almost everything I’ve found online and understand how to do it and how many wings to clip etc. I just don’t want to be the one to do it as I don’t want him any more scared of me. Any advice?

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Thanks for the reassurance and help! Ruben is still squawking lots when I change his food and water and will flap all around his cage (I tell him what I’m doing as I do it) he’s still very nervous of me. I was seriously considering having him clipped but no vets near me will do it, every single one has refused with one vet even telling me I was mutilating my bird and I shouldn’t have him. I explained it was so we could get him out his cage without worrying he’s going to hurt himself by flying into windows etc. I’ve brought a small book on clipping and have read almost everything I’ve found online and understand how to do it and how many wings to clip etc. I just don’t want to be the one to do it as I don’t want him any more scared of me. Any advice?

I take my parrots to get their nails and beaks trimmed at a parrot store (sells parrot food, toys, and small parrots). Even though I had never gotten my parrots wings clipped, I do know that they perform that service.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
If he still flapping around his cage while you feed him he’s not ready to come out yet you should just put treats in his bowl read to him and be patient I would not clip his wings

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Congrats on your new little guy, he sounds like quite the handful! :congrats5:

Before clipping his wings, please read: Should I clip my birds wings?

I know this has to be frustrating and you are genuinely worried for his safety, but there are other things you can try first. I’m tagging a few members who are very good with training /taming advice @Monica @Ripshod @Fuzzy there are many more too this is just off the top of my head.

Both my birds wings were clipped when I got them. It actually ended up causing some scary situations- when a bird gets spooked their natural instinct is to fly away. If they can’t fly, they fall. Sadly I saw this with my own eyes quite a few times when mine were clipped and you just feel so hopeless. I’m in no way trying to make you feel bad for considering it- I’m just letting you know my experience. There were quite a few times my birds could’ve been seriously injured because of something that was done to “keep them safe”.

Whatever happens, I hope the best for you and your new baby :heart:
Please keep us posted, I think you are going to have some very interesting stories to share with this one:laugh:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
This link will take you directly to the first post linked to in previous response :)

Also worth looking at :)

In regards to training, please check out this thread.

Do you have a large cage for your quaker? Maybe the cage isn't large enough?

Does your quaker have a way to "hide" in the cage? (and I don't mean an unsafe happy hut)

Your quaker may very well have been friendly with the breeder, however he was picked up by a complete stranger and moved over a long distance, which in itself was probably quite stressful, then placed in a new, scary environment. He's stressed out, scared and doesn't know what's going on. Please give him time to settle down and de-stress from the situation.

rueben1103

Meeting neighbors
This is his cage, just about to give it a clean out but I know this will stress him so have put it off for a few days, loads more toys due to be delivered tomorrow.
what do you recommend for somewhere for him to hide and I’ve seen how unsafe some of these huts can be.
I’ve decided against having him clipped, it just doesn’t feel right for me.
thanks all!

Attachments

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
The cage is a great size! I’m glad you decided not to clip his wings, my conure came to me clipped and the change in his happiness is absolutely astonishing.

Those dowel perches can be very bad for his feet so natural branches are great! (You can get them from safe trees outside) They also offer a great opportunity for foraging in hiding seeds and bits of nuts in crevices in the sticks.

rueben1103

Meeting neighbors
I’ll remove those perches! I do have some arriving with an absolute ton of toys tomorrow (parrot shopping is so fun!) :D
So glad to hear your conure is much happier with his wings fully intact!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sorry for the late response!

Indeed, a great sized cage! And you've gotten some good advice already! :)

You can try using natural tree branches with leaves still attached, seagrass mat type toys, or other 'large' toys to create a place to hide within the cage.

It may help to place the cage in a low-traffic area, maybe even in a corner of the room. If he doesn't chew on it, you could partially over the cage as well.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a good resource for bird-safe woods: Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

Some woods are toxic to birds, so it's very very important that you can identify the tree any branches you want to use have come from. Please don't just pick up a branch without knowing its species. Depending on where you are, beech, apple, pear and birch are good options.

Parrot shopping is fun - I've just bought loads of new toys for Leia! You can have a look at some of the AA vendors' offerings too: List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles

rueben1103

Meeting neighbors
Thanks @tka shall have a look!
we have a few apple trees in the field that I can get some branches from so that’s perfect! What about branches from willow tree? We have a huge willow in our garden that has up straight branches when it over grows rather than the normal curly ones. If not there is a quarry behind our field so I can go hunting for some great branches.
rubens new toys arrived today and he’s absolutely loving them! But seems to dislike me even more now. But he still screams when I leave the room until I come back to talk to him but he seems to be more nervous when I do.Could that just be because I’ve had my hands inside hanging all his toys up?! I’ve had him a week tomorrow and feel like no trust has been gained at all. I know it can take a while but I just really thought the little fella would have started to trust me even a tad by now:sad11::sad1:

rueben1103

Meeting neighbors
Just a little update on Ruben. He’s been screaming for my attention more and more when I’m Not in the room but is still nervous. But feel like we have made a little jump in trust. He wasn’t too fussed when I cleaned his cage again (a little bit of screaming and fluttering about but not as bad as before)
He’s loving all his new toys!