• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New plucking between Budgie and lineolated parakeet

senyk

Moving in
I've had our female budgie for 3 years, and one year ago we adopted a lineolated parakeet who is about 4 years old.
At first they fought a bit, then became best friends. When they fought, the female budgie would pluck feathers from the male linnie's head.
Now, he's almost bald - it seems he is willingly lowering his head and she is plucking his feathers! As well, the linnie is making a new clucking sound rather than his usual full-throated squeaks and calls...
Help. What on earth is this behaviour about?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
First thing to do is separate them as at the moment this relationship in unhealthy.
In Budgie relationships the female is 'boss'. And linnies are pretty laid back compared with budgies. So she is demonstrating typical female budgie behaviour and he is misinterpreting this and accepting it.
She is probably hormonal so maybe reducing her daylight to 10-12 hours and getting rid of any nesting opportunities such as nest boxes, bowls, 'huts' etc will help reduce her urges. You could also use this time to improve your bond with both birds so in the future they come to you for scritches.
I'll hold back now so that others can add their opinions on the linnie, but I hope he has no permanent damage ;)

Last edited:

senyk

Moving in
Thanks, Ripshod! Your advice seems sound - don't hold back. I'm really in learning mode.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I may do a complete u-turn on what I said earlier but first a few questions.
The linnie. When you let the birds out does he go straight to the budgies for scritches? Does the linnie give the budgie scritches at all? Has there been any feeding between the two?

senyk

Moving in
He and the budgie are very close - bonded. The linnie has never given the budgie scritches as far as I've seen. There has been feeding between the two...I'd love to hear more wisdom from you!

senyk

Moving in
Hi Ripshod and others,
I kept the budgie and the Linnie apart at night in two different cages, and only gave them limited time together. The plucking from the linnie seemed to settle down after a week or two. Now I see there is new plucking from the linnie - he is more bald than ever. I really am worried!