• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Play Area in the Planning Stage

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've bagged some fresh cut branches to dry out ready for the build next year. I've left it to the foreman to select some good branches (has been briefed) so I should get a good selection of Beech, Ash and Aspen. I'll dry it out myself, always the best way.
My big plan has begun:

They're not removing the trees, they're coppicing. In 4 years they'll come back and lay the new branches into a hedge.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:wideyed:
Why are they cutting whole trees down?
Nice that you get some good branches... but sad the tree gets killed :(

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:wideyed:
Why are they cutting whole trees down?
Nice that you get some good branches... but sad the tree gets killed :(
Great point!
You see the house to the right of the trees? They complained about being in the shade. Sux, but that's how it works here. The tree doesn't die, it'll start throwing out new growth from the base next spring.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ah ok :( Well if it grows back then it´s not too bad :)

I´m excited to see the finished result of this project of yours! :D

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I hate this selfish woman now. She has a car covered in save the wildlife stickers, save the earth, it's like she collects them.
In her application she cites her husband's osteoporosis as the main reason to get rid of these trees which the council has accepted and acted on. Turns out her husband has been bedridden for 8 years. The only times her husband leaves his pit is when an ambulance crew comes to take him to his hospital appointments and return him.
She makes me sick and I've never spoken to her. Needless to say myself and my neighbours are penning a joint letter to the council and are speaking to the local press.
She has ruined things for me and my neighbours. We had a great view of neat little houses and all gaps between them filled with green. This gap is still filled with green, the backend of the ambulance station!
_20190930_152136.JPG

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Now they will complain about being in the sun and too hot. Aspen wood is fantastic.

I remember when the condo association where I lived cut down a gorgeous blooming young tree near my window. It made the whole room pink when the sun shined in the window. I never was able to get the reason why this happened. I can understand how you feel.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She has a car covered in save the wildlife stickers, save the earth
Hypocrite :(
When you said about the shade I thought maybe the house has damp. If she really wants to save the earth she´d plant something to make up for chopping down that tree. Maybe a nice hedge or some smaller trees or bushes.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've had a walk around. All those logs have been chipped, not a single log pile for the homeless bugs. It's 2019, things like this shouldn't be happening. I'd much rather have seen them pollarded, but that would cost more in maintenance.
Oh look, her favourite lounger is in the sun now :bash:

What's happened here is plain for all to see. I hope this backfires on her, big time!

And all I got was three spindly branches. The only option I have is to weave them for strength. I know a builder who clears gardens, gonna ask him to watch for some decent wood. Could do with some apple TBH to match what I have in mind

Last edited:

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You know, it is one thing to want to save wildlife, it is completely different when saving the planet implies to give up a little bit of your own comfort. People want to save wolves, but don't want to have them around and risk having them attack THEIR dogs. People want to keep tigers in the wild far away in Asia, but the local people get killed by tigers. People want to save the planet, but they want to make money from THEIR trees. Or they want a tree down because it takes up THEIR sun.
Maybe your neighbor's house was damp, cold, dark, and if the husband is stuck in bed, I bet he now appreciates to get some sun from said bed...

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's just sad! If tree's are really "alive", what pain that timbering must cause them.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Maybe your neighbor's house was damp, cold, dark, and if the husband is stuck in bed, I bet he now appreciates to get some sun from said bed...
The trees were on the south side of the house, his bedroom window on the west. So he was already enjoying the afternoon/evening sunlight, without the need for this. The only window being blocked is a tiny one at the top of their stairs. Problems with any damp could be addressed other ways.
The point is she lied to get her way, and now the local council is caught up in that lie. We've 'only' lost eight trees for a lie, for convenience. She made out like her husband couldn't get any sunlight in the garden so got no natural vit D. The guy can't even get out of bed never mind sunbathe.
Add all the lies up across the globe.

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The trees were on the south side of the house, his bedroom window on the west. So he was already enjoying the afternoon/evening sunlight, without the need for this. The only window being blocked is a tiny one at the top of their stairs. Problems with any damp could be addressed other ways.
The point is she lied to get her way, and now the local council is caught up in that lie. We've 'only' lost eight trees for a lie, for convenience. Add all the lies up across the globe.
Ah right, then it seems the problem is different... Good reasons to get mad at her!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The tree surgeons lied to me. They're not coppicing when they're back this morning with a stump grinder.
I have a neighbour round for tea and we have a plan. I've only witnessed it once but apparently her hedge (her pride and joy) is used as a 'drop' by the local dealers. If they continue after this then we'll take a few photos to the council. Bye-bye hedge and welcome new sections of fence that she'll have to pay for. Payback time. For my sin I'll buy half a dozen saplings for a local conservation area. After all, she wants to be out in the open.

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The tree surgeons lied to me. They're not coppicing when they're back this morning with a stump grinder.
I have a neighbour round for tea and we have a plan. I've only witnessed it once but apparently her hedge (her pride and joy) is used as a 'drop' by the local dealers. If they continue after this then we'll take a few photos to the council. Bye-bye hedge and welcome new sections of fence that she'll have to pay for. Payback time.
so you are out after her, not after saving the trees/ bushes

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
so you are out after her, not after saving the trees/ bushes
They don't trim the outside, so it does encroach on public access and scratches cars

*edit*

I will be making amends elsewhere. It's when I see tree removal for convenience I get a little pinkish mist. Yes the hedge is part of the earth's lung, but I will be transplanting elsewhere.
I was once witness to the felling of a 140year oak. It was felled because it was interfering with TV reception to 2 houses.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Anywho, a littke change of idea. The branches I have are so spindly I may just cut them up for perches. Will have to see how they toughen up when dried.
I'm getting involved in a replanting project, training youngsters how to take cuttings, bring them on and replant into the wild. It's a council run project, supported by various other organisations.
It'll be one day a week so it's not taking me away from my other volunteering or my feathered responsibilities. I'll be