• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new perch

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I bought a new natural perch for my Bourke yesterday, but he acts like he is scared to death of it. Should I just leave it and hope he will get used to it, or should I take it back out.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Take it out and put it to the side where he can see it and get used to it that way. Wait a few days and then try it in the cage again or attach it to the outside of the cage for a while and then put it inside.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
ok I'll take it out, don't know why he's so scared.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Birds are prey, so new things can mean danger. That's "normal".

You can also try putting treats and food around the perch to make it less scary or put it somewhere where it's out of the way and not intimidating... aka down low.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Birds are prey, so new things can mean danger. That's "normal".

You can also try putting treats and food around the perch to make it less scary or put it somewhere where it's out of the way and not intimidating... aka down low.
ok thanks, really surprised me.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Goffin's would not go near the main perch in her new cage. Purchased a custom perch and she wouldn't go near that for many years. She would perch on a smaller perch or hang onto the cage bars. I did everything I could to get her to use the main perch....put treats on it, wrapped toys and bird safe rope around it, etc. Nothing worked. One day she just decided it wasn't scary any more but it took a few years for her to get to that point. Hopefully it won't take that long for your Bourke to accept the new perch.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
well I took sweetpea's new perch out now he's back to singing hopping around. What a stinker:batonthehead: