• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New partner for Gila

Guibirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Guilherme
Hello again everyone!

I have a feeling my feather buddy might be in dire need of a friend in the recent future.

My mom has expressed her dislike for birds in general in the past, but I think she really is coming around to like Gila! But she said only one bird though..

So I have three questions!..

1. I've thought of getting another species of bird, maybe a lovebird, a canary or a cockatiel! Though I have some concearns (as always ;))
How do different species interact with australian budgies? Do they breed? Should I just stick to the same species? What gender? I've read females don't go well toghether

2. It's no secret, I must upgrade my micro cage, but we're taking one thing at a time, and I'm not sure what should come first.. get her a pal and be acompanied in a small cage..? Or get a sizeable cage and and let her stretch her wings before having other problems?

Could you give me some arguments to help convince my mother? :')
No, she doesn't care about Gila.. yet..

It's okay If you can only answer one of the questions, or none at all and give your own advice, it is very much apreciated! :)

Much love from me and Gila!

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would say not to get a different species. Chances there are that, again, you end up with lonely birds who still need buddies of their own kind. And some species (like the lovebird I think) can be quite aggressive to other birds. Tiels have also been known to kill budgies in a simple argument - it's just not safe to mix different sizes most of the time.

If you can let your birds out to fly often I would get a friend for Gila before the new cage. My Damien still has quite a small cage (but not for much longer) but because he pretty much only sleeps in it it's been fine.

It sounds to me like Gila's cuteness is growing on your mother right? I'd say appeal to her heart - show and explain to her how budgies are made to be flock animals and that they get sad and depressed on their own. You can find lots of articles online about this. Show her lots of cute videos of budgies interacting and how happy and adorable they are :sneaky: :heart:

Others can give you more in-depth answers hopefully. Best of luck to you on your journey to giving your Gila a wonderful life. I'm really glad to see how hard you're working to give your little pal the best life you can :heart:

Guibirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Guilherme
Thank you for the insight, I'm definatly going the budgie route after hearing that.

Although it might be growing on my mother I think the "relatively cheap to maintain" argument is going to go further..

Ps.: I know they aren't cheap to maintain! Just an argument to get her a friend.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
You are being a very responsible budgie owner. I as well would say to get one of the same species. I have had cockatiels, bourke's parakeets and budgies at the same time and surprisingly it was my little hen budgie that terrorized the other 2 species. You have a little hen there I'm pretty sure so a little boy would be the best bet. You are correct in that 2 hens do not always get along but if 2 babies it could work but you don't have a baby. I think your little hen is about 8 months old. I would get a little boy. This does not mean babies (More on this later). Start them off in quarintine and then after 6 weeks housed side by side in different cages. You can use your small cage for the new one. Once they are ok side by side then introduce them. I would tell your mother that no living thing should be alone for the better part of the day. It makes for a very sad little budgie. Congrats to you on wanting to avoid that. 2 are really no more work than 1 and it can make a world of difference in how happy your budgies are.

Guibirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Guilherme
Start them off in quarintine and then after 6 weeks housed side by side in different cages.
Seems like quite a hassle to get a new bird on the house, I might have to read up on that, but I am not giving up on that!

You can use your small cage for the new one. Once they are ok side by side then introduce them
So you're saying I should get a new cage first and then get him in a separate cage right?

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Seems like quite a hassle to get a new bird on the house, I might have to read up on that, but I am not giving up on that!

So you're saying I should get a new cage first and then get him in a separate cage right?
I am saying that just because you want to avoid any sicknesses that your new bird my have from being transmitted to your present bird. This is a precaution that most multiple bird owners observe. So yes I am saying get a bigger cage before getting a new bird. Your cage is small for one bird. It is way too small for 2. Use the time until you get a bigger cage to bond with your little Gila. If you can establish a bond with her then all the better. Then she will teach the new bird that she is not afraid of you. Makes taming the new bird that much easier. Also, just because I did not make it clear in my post above...NEVER house different species of birds together.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I would save for a new cage also, then after quarantine you could put both in the new cage together. Which online vendor do you have there, maybe Ebay or Amazon? I'm sending the link to show you what cage my two are in, but I am not sure you can get shipping to Portugal easily... so you may have to go with an individual seller if you can find one that is in good shape. Your Gila will be fine and dandy with you as her parront, until you are able to get a new cage or a friend for her! Slow down - we'll convince Mom later! ;)

Guibirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Guilherme
I am saying that just because you want to avoid any sicknesses that your new bird my have from being transmitted to your present bird. This is a precaution that most multiple bird owners observe. So yes I am saying get a bigger cage before getting a new bird. Your cage is small for one bird. It is way too small for 2. Use the time until you get a bigger cage to bond with your little Gila. If you can establish a bond with her then all the better. Then she will teach the new bird that she is not afraid of you. Makes taming the new bird that much easier. Also, just because I did not make it clear in my post above...NEVER house different species of birds together.
Ah I see, so if I were to take said new birdo to a vet and get him checked out would that take away from the quarintine?
Or am I getting it wrong?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I meant to say - since budgies hull their seeds, sometimes the dish will look full, but it's only empty hulls, so fresh seed daily, and get the hulls out by blowing them off, or using a strainer, etc, then adding fresh seed on top.

Guibirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Guilherme
I would save for a new cage also, then after quarantine you could put both in the new cage together. Which online vendor do you have there, maybe Ebay or Amazon? I'm sending the link to show you what cage my two are in, but I am not sure you can get shipping to Portugal easily... so you may have to go with an individual seller if you can find one that is in good shape. Your Gila will be fine and dandy with you as her parront, until you are able to get a new cage or a friend for her! Slow down - we'll convince Mom later! ;)
I know I might come off as a bit eager!
Should definatly think about the cage first, this one is quite tiny! I will place the mirror whenever I come around to getting her a pal.
Thank you very much! :)

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
A vet can certainly check them for health
however not all illnesses present immediately. That is why we reccommend keeping them separate for 4 - 6 weeks. If after this amount of time your new bird is fine then it is safe to introduce them to your present bird.

Last edited:

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Its definitely worthwhile getting Gila a friend!

I have to echo what others have said, a budgie male is preferable.

Maybe you could appeal to your mum by explaining two budgies really are not more work, and in fact can even be less work as budgies with a friend tend to be happier than a sole budgie (particularly if they have stretches of time when no one is home).

My second budgie was literally SO easy, as she tends to copy her big brother! She adjusted very very quickly and the two of them are the best of friends now.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ah I see, so if I were to take said new birdo to a vet and get him checked out would that take away from the quarintine?
Or am I getting it wrong?
A vet can certainly check them for health
however not all illnesses present immediately. That is why we reccommend keeping them separate for 4 - 6 weeks. If after this amount of time your new bird is fine then it is safe to introduce them to your present bird.
To clarify, keep the birds in separate rooms for at least 4 weeks, in this time, you can take the new bird to the vet to have tests run and receive the results. Take advantage if the aquarantine period to bond a little iwth your new bird making it easier when the two birds are together to be able to interact with both :)

By the way, Are you Portuguese? or an expat? because your English is phenomenal! :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good advice. You are usually better off for the birds sake to stick with same species.

Guibirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Guilherme
To clarify, keep the birds in separate rooms for at least 4 weeks, in this time, you can take the new bird to the vet to have tests run and receive the results. Take advantage if the aquarantine period to bond a little iwth your new bird making it easier when the two birds are together to be able to interact with both :)
Thank you for all the info, I guess my mom is really reluctant to get another birdo, but at least getting a bigger cage isn't out of the question. But worry not, for as soon as I'm able to leave and get a house of my own this birb is getting a friend!
By the way, Are you Portuguese? or an expat? because your English is phenomenal! :)
Definatly Portuguese! Just have the luck of having parents that kinda taught me english, whatever curiosity I might have had, having english classes since my first year of school and of course, youtube!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Sounds like mom isn’t on board with a 2nd baby. For now, I would concentrate on forming a bond with Gila (once she’s settled). Who knows, it could still happen in the future anyway and hopefully by then you’ll have the 2nd cage so quarantine/introducing your birbs would be easier.
I agree with the others- a 2nd budgie really isn’t any extra work. It’s double poo and double food, but it’s not like budgies are going to eat a TON of food no matter how many :lol: I’ve always changed out the cage papers daily anyway, so the double poo isn’t an issue either.

I’m so happy to see you’re asking all these questions! That means you care about your baby and makes you a great parront!

PS- if you ever get back to the subject of the benefits of a 2nd birb with mom, just show her these;) B057D840-2374-4891-A352-CF944E2CD4E8.jpeg 8374DD9F-7663-458F-8E94-969C529FFACB.jpeg F0EAA89D-2B80-4C0F-95AF-CA7C3E54A992.jpeg CA1E68B9-3AC3-4CE6-A2BF-164909125090.jpeg E598C7D2-B9F6-4400-8522-82C59ED64431.jpeg

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like mom isn’t on board with a 2nd baby. For now, I would concentrate on forming a bond with Gila (once she’s settled). Who knows, it could still happen in the future anyway and hopefully by then you’ll have the 2nd cage so quarantine/introducing your birbs would be easier.
I agree with the others- a 2nd budgie really isn’t any extra work. It’s double poo and double food, but it’s not like budgies are going to eat a TON of food no matter how many :lol: I’ve always changed out the cage papers daily anyway, so the double poo isn’t an issue either.

I’m so happy to see you’re asking all these questions! That means you care about your baby and makes you a great parront!

PS- if you ever get back to the subject of the benefits of a 2nd birb with mom, just show her these;) View attachment 324460 View attachment 324461 View attachment 324462 View attachment 324463 View attachment 324464
Some good advice here. I don't recommend pushing too much here. If she's not 100% on board yet, she needs time. My mum was always super easy to convince when it came to getting pets, despite not liking them. When I got 2 beautiful blue budgies, Sky and Spirit, she was not a fan of the poop and the mess. Eventually when I stopped providing the care they needed, my mum wasn't willing to take over (fair enough, it wasn't her responsibility) so we had to give them to my aunt.

You need your mum to be a secondary caregiver as you are young, and will eventually have other interests or big life changes which might mean somebody else temporarily looking after Gila.

On another note, @JoJo&Loki if that doesn't convince OP's mum it has done the job on me :laughin: They are so cute together!

Guibirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Guilherme

PS- if you ever get back to the subject of the benefits of a 2nd birb with mom, just show her these;) View attachment 324460 View attachment 324461 View attachment 324462 View attachment 324463 View attachment 324464
Yeah, I understand, I'll take it slower, though I do want to be primary caregiver.. my mom thought those hellish round cages were fine, but it's fine, she doesn't know any better and that is where you most often find birds..

I get so sad that so many poor birds get that treatment..

Your babies are so preety! Can't wait to get a big cage for my own. Thank you so much for the help!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
It’s sad that so many people still think those are acceptable! I was watching a movie the other day that showed a parakeet in one of those old metal round cages. It made me so mad! :arghh: That’s just a movie...I can only imagine seeing a bird living in one of those in real life!:shy: