• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Parrotlet Owner - the noise!

sophief100

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie F
Hi I got my new 4 month old parrotlet 2 days ago.
The issue I am having is that he is a screamer! He is so loud when he gets going, which is often. I'm trying to train him out of this bu ignoring him when he is loud but speaking to him when he is chirping quietly. Does anyone have any advice on how to get him to stop? He can be heard from outside my apartment.
I thought they were quiet! Please help!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He’s a baby and he’s been with you 2 days. He’s left everything he knew in his short life.
He will calm down. I wouldn’t try to train a bird that’s been with me less than 2 weeks, actually I give them longer than that. They need to settle in and learn how to live in the new environment.

what you can do for now is reinforce the quiet by saying good boy or giving him a treat, and be sure not to reinforce the screams — even yelling at him to stop is attention, they love it and will scream more to get you to react. So don’t react. ;)
I’m fascinated to hear of a parrotlet that loud, as I have 6 and they’re all so quiet. Would you show us a video?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I love Parrotlet noise. It's such happy, chatty, robotic sounds. They are not really screaming lol.

Come to my house, bring ear plugs with a Cockatoo that loses her mind from time to time.

sophief100

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie F
He’s a baby and he’s been with you 2 days. He’s left everything he knew in his short life.
He will calm down. I wouldn’t try to train a bird that’s been with me less than 2 weeks, actually I give them longer than that. They need to settle in and learn how to live in the new environment.

what you can do for now is reinforce the quiet by saying good boy or giving him a treat, and be sure not to reinforce the screams — even yelling at him to stop is attention, they love it and will scream more to get you to react. So don’t react. ;)
I’m fascinated to hear of a parrotlet that loud, as I have 6 and they’re all so quiet. Would you show us a video?
Thank you for your answer. I will try and get a video if he will let me!

sophief100

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie F

I had to upload two videos to YT as they were too large of files here they are:
Just as an fyi: it's louder and more ear-peircing in person. And he has a lot of perches as the breeder partially clipped his wings and he has trouble getting around the cage

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I had to upload two videos to YT as they were too large of files here they are:
Just as an fyi: it's louder and more ear-peircing in person. And he has a lot of perches as the breeder partially clipped his wings and he has trouble getting around the cage
That's a happy chatty guy. Crinkle a plastic bag, makes them go crazy. ;)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
That's the opposite or what I want hahaha
Noooo, bird sounds are just wonderful. Chatty, happy is so sweet. I love budgie chatter and singing. Music it is! I get the pair of heaven sent nuggets to bird sit once a year and love them!

Amazons and Cockatoos don't sing. They don't chatter, yes the Amazons mimick and talk and repeat sounds which I love. They call my name, and each others names.

But singing nope! As I mentioned earlier a Cockatoo will surely make you lose your hearing at an early age.

Tantrum is more like it. When they throw their body into a scream, it's insane!

sophief100

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie F
Does anyone have any advice. His cage is placed next to our sofa if that could be an issue?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is a happy noise, and in no way screaming, there is nothing you can do to really stop it. I honestly find it very pleasant to listen to, and cannot help you.

It seems to be no louder than a budgie flock call, which rarely exceeds 75 decibels, while people with cockatoos have their birds screaming up to 120 decibels!

Honestly, if you cannot handle this noise I do not think you are really cut out to be a parrot owner. No offense, but many birds get rehomed multiple times in their lives because someone in the house couldn’t handle the noise. It would be a shame if this happened to your bird too. Please try to adapt to the sounds, these are nice happy sounds, which mean a bird that is content and happy in your home.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Does anyone have any useful advice please?

Unfortunately not everyone feels the same way. such as neighbours.
Maybe you should have gotten a goldfish, or a cat.

Birds make noise, the end. :)

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
He's beautiful and looks like a happy little guy. They are little clowns and love to play. I hope you can figure something out or just give him a chance to settle in. I have two of them and if I shut my bedroom door have a hard time hearing them. I adopted Toby who I was told was 18 years old and Popper who is two. 20191108_150827.jpg

sophief100

Moving in
Real Name
Sophie F
He's beautiful and looks like a happy little guy. They are little clowns and love to play. I hope you can figure something out or just give him a chance to settle in. I have two of them and if I shut my bedroom door have a hard time hearing them. I adopted Toby who I was told was 18 years old and Popper who is two. View attachment 349460
Thank you. Hopefully he just needs to settle in

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Does anyone have any useful advice please?
I buy multipacks of earplugs. They don´t cancel out the noise for me but they do take the edge off. My partner has a headset he wears and listens to music when things get loud around here... or he just goes out :lol:
As for the neighbours, put them on your Christmas card list, and make an effort to be nice to them. Maybe make some homemade baked goods for them?
I have given sweets pastries and made plants from clippings of my plants before for my neighbours. (the plant is still alive all this time later, I saw it the other week on their balcony :D )

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Popper, the two year old loves toys he can rip apart! He's not really into wood toys, just little ones he can beat the heck out of it :) once he settles down your have a little friend for many years.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you to the people who commented who were actually helpful x
Some had a message you didn’t want to hear but they were all very helpful. I hope it put your mind at ease to know that your parrotlet is doing normal every day happy vocalization and not screaming or being abnormal.