• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Parrot mom, lots of questions.

Sugar20

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bobbie Jo
This lady owned her parrot for 20 years and passed away, her son took care of it for 2 years, but decided he didn't have time for it anymore. He asked my mom would I take it. I agreed. I have googled so much these past 4 days, my head is about to spin. I know this is a major adjustment for this bird. It is going to take time for him to build trust with me and my family. He does say a few things and put his head up against the cage for me to run his head. I have learned that he is terrified of towels, potholders, gloves, a new Perch I bought him. And I don't know what else. How will I ever get my Parrot to step up onto my hand. And is there a reason he is scared of so many things? I honestly do not know the living conditions of where this bird came from, other than the man said he didn't have time for it anymore and he knows it needs a family. I heard his mother spoiled it rotten while she was alive. Could the bird be going through a lonely stage and trust no one? I just need pointers on where to start all together. Help!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya: Thank you for being this birds angel and giving him a loving home :heart2:

Birds are often afraid of many things, random things, things they were not scared of yesterday. It is a bird thing lol.

He may have been towelled (using a towel or oven mitts) a lot, roughly, unwillingly or just in a way that he was frightened of to be put into the cage or moved etc.
My bird really loves towels but after he has been towelled at the vet and poked and prodded and turned upside down in an unknown place by an unknown person we go straight back to him not trusting them if anyone is holding one and it takes me some time to get him to be confident and comfortable with one being placed over him again.

Every now and then I will get my bird something new that he seriously seems to think is there to kill him, sometimes it could be my new bright coloured or different sized hair tie that is there to eat him- I leave things like that (things he is not comfortable with) in his line of sight but at a distance where he is comfortable that is poses no threat to him. Many people only ever attempt to introduce new perches and toys after they have been placed in the same room as the bird but away from the cage if need be or on the outside of it if the bird is ok with that, then once they seem ok with the new item it is put into the cage. Everything wants to eat birds you know! lol.

If he was mistreated or not positively exposed to certain things (like brooms, mops, umbrellas, kitchen items etc) then they will be terrifying to him..... once he trusts you dealing with this stuff gets somewhat easier. My bird is much more accepting of new scary things if it is me that has them than if it is my mum, if my mum has the scary thing then it really is a danger to him but if I have it then he will eventually come closer to either check it out or tell me I need to get away from it lol. Birds are complicated in some ways.

You will be best off to expect nothing from this bird and work as slowly with him as he needs and you will end up with the bestest buddy that you could ever imagine.

@Monica gives really amazing training advice so hopefully she will have some time to drop you some clear detailed information like she is so wonderful at doing.
In the meantime I will add a few training links for you to read through...

Hopefully you will find some helpful information in the links while you wait for some more responses from other members :)

Sugar20

Real Name
Bobbie Jo
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya: Thank you for being this birds angel and giving him a loving home :heart2:

Birds are often afraid of many things, random things, things they were not scared of yesterday. It is a bird thing lol.

He may have been towelled (using a towel or oven mitts) a lot, roughly, unwillingly or just in a way that he was frightened of to be put into the cage or moved etc.
My bird really loves towels but after he has been towelled at the vet and poked and prodded and turned upside down in an unknown place by an unknown person we go straight back to him not trusting them if anyone is holding one and it takes me some time to get him to be confident and comfortable with one being placed over him again.

Every now and then I will get my bird something new that he seriously seems to think is there to kill him, sometimes it could be my new bright coloured or different sized hair tie that is there to eat him- I leave things like that (things he is not comfortable with) in his line of sight but at a distance where he is comfortable that is poses no threat to him. Many people only ever attempt to introduce new perches and toys after they have been placed in the same room as the bird but away from the cage if need be or on the outside of it if the bird is ok with that, then once they seem ok with the new item it is put into the cage. Everything wants to eat birds you know! lol.

If he was mistreated or not positively exposed to certain things (like brooms, mops, umbrellas, kitchen items etc) then they will be terrifying to him..... once he trusts you dealing with this stuff gets somewhat easier. My bird is much more accepting of new scary things if it is me that has them than if it is my mum, if my mum has the scary thing then it really is a danger to him but if I have it then he will eventually come closer to either check it out or tell me I need to get away from it lol. Birds are complicated in some ways.

You will be best off to expect nothing from this bird and work as slowly with him as he needs and you will end up with the bestest buddy that you could ever imagine.

@Monica gives really amazing training advice so hopefully she will have some time to drop you some clear detailed information like she is so wonderful at doing.
In the meantime I will add a few training links for you to read through...

Hopefully you will find some helpful information in the links while you wait for some more responses from other members :)
Thank you so much. I know this will take time. I never knew they could be so scared of so many things. I will read up on the links that you shared with me.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Bobbie! welcome signs.gif

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! You got thrown into the deep end with an Amazon, lol. Best of luck as you all adjust to one another. It could be a long and slow process that will require patience. Or maybe not! They are all so different. I would lower my expectations and just be a steady presence with him. Calm and kind. Let him lead the way. Amazons and most birds are just so curious that they often can't resist getting involved in what you are doing. Sit next to him and organize some bird toys. You can slowly introduce new/scary things to him by just letting them lay across the room, then get closer. Maybe for weeks or more.

You might want to post in the behavior section as well as the specific Amazon section.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

EagleClem

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
:hello::welave:

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
That bird’s a beauty! And if he’s letting you rub his head, you’re halfway there. Just take it slow.

It’s good to have a play area/stand next to the cage so the bird can wander and “be himself” a little. I have that, plus a training table covered with a towel. Maybe a towel laying flat like that won’t disturb him, and will help alleviate fear of all towels. Don’t really know; just a suggestion.

What is he getting food wise? That should be your first priority right now, giving him the right diet. You would be amazed at how many commercial seed mixtures that you think are okay are actually horrible.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If the cage your zon is sitting on is his cage, then I would recommend a larger cage if possible, but if you don't get one immediately, that might be okay! That is, if he's used to living in a small cage for many years then moving to a better cage could potentially be traumatic.

For now it's probably okay to try and figure out what his favorite treats are and dropping them into a treat cup any time you are near the cage. Actually physically interacting with him beyond scritches may take several weeks or longer. Hands off training can be a great way to interact with them, build confidence and trust as well as to enrich their minds. Target training is one such method, although he may be afraid of whatever you choose to use as the target. This can be worked around but can take some training to achieve.

The main thing is to probably try and make sure he's eating a healthy, varied diet including fresh foods and some nuts and, more importantly, try to get him in to see an avian vet for a first time bird check up, to include gram stains and blood work just to see how he is doing healthy wise and if you need to work on any particular diet to follow.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for helping this bird. :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
If the cage your zon is sitting on is his cage, then I would recommend a larger cage if possible, but if you don't get one immediately, that might be okay! That is, if he's used to living in a small cage for many years then moving to a better cage could potentially be traumatic.
Good eye.

That cage looked too small to me as well, even in that cropped photo.

Sugar20

Real Name
Bobbie Jo

For now it's probably okay to try and figure out what his favorite treats are and dropping them into a treat cup any time you are near the cage. Actually physically interacting with him beyond scritches may take several weeks or longer. Hands off training can be a great way to interact with them, build confidence and trust as well as to enrich their minds. Target training is one such method, although he may be afraid of whatever you choose to use as the target. This can be worked around but can take some training to achieve.

The main thing is to probably try and make sure he's eating a healthy, varied diet including fresh foods and some nuts and, more importantly, try to get him in to see an avian vet for a first time bird check up, to include gram stains and blood work just to see how he is doing healthy wise and if you need to work on any particular diet to follow.
Yes I agree, I believe he needs more room. I'm looking into getting him a big cage soon. I'm worried about changing his home of 20+ years and that it might not go well. I only want what is best for him and I know I have to introduce new things to him slowly.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'd go ahead and get a larger cage. You can set it up next to his current one and see if his natural curiosity takes him there.
I had a 35 year old foster that had been caged for 30 of those years in a cockatiel sized cage.
He went into my new larger cage and flourished!
Amazons are a blast, their antics will entertain you for hours.
They can be a bit feisty, but they were their emotions on their sleeve and you'll learn the body language pretty quickly.
Flashing eyes and flared tail, step back and reevaluate!
Your bird has had some major upheaval in the last few years.
He is probably very untrusting at this time. Go slow, have patience and understanding.
They love food....bribe that baby!

Sugar20

Real Name
Bobbie Jo
That bird’s a beauty! And if he’s letting you rub his head, you’re halfway there. Just take it slow.

It’s good to have a play area/stand next to the cage so the bird can wander and “be himself” a little. I have that, plus a training table covered with a towel. Maybe a towel laying flat like that won’t disturb him, and will help alleviate fear of all towels. Don’t really know; just a suggestion.

What is he getting food wise? That should be your first priority right now, giving him the right diet. You would be amazed at how many commercial seed mixtures that you think are okay are actually horrible.
I would love for him to wonder around the house and get to know his surrounding and have free time. My only issue with this is, he will not allow any of us touch him. I can hand feed him and rub his head. Other than that it's a BIG NO! SO with that being said I don't know how to get him back into his cage. He doesn't "step up" to me yet. So any pointers on that would be great.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello1: What a beautiful bird!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would love for him to wonder around the house and get to know his surrounding and have free time. My only issue with this is, he will not allow any of us touch him. I can hand feed him and rub his head. Other than that it's a BIG NO! SO with that being said I don't know how to get him back into his cage. He doesn't "step up" to me yet. So any pointers on that would be great.
The hands off training, as I've already mentioned. Target training can be a great way to start to connect with a bird, teach them to step up and to move around without physically stepping up.

I have Merlin, a green cheek conure, that when I point, using my finger, he'll fly or climb to that spot. He's not very hands on but he's very demanding of this simple interaction.