• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Parrent To Forum

Kristen kneifl

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kristen
Hello,
About 2 months ago, I was reading a local neighborhood post. A woman had found a small parrot and could not locate the owners. Other people had replied already, saying the were rescues or had experience and would take the bird. Without any information, I too replied and offer to raise the bird if the owners were not found. Later that day the woman texted me and said she thought I was the best fit. I will be the first to admit, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.
Tango is a Yellowsided GCC and I love him/her. I researched everything I could find on the bred and probably made 100 mistakes in those first few weeks. Tango likes males best, but after realizing my sons and husband dont care to much for having him kamakazi on to there shoulders when they are eating, and my daughter and I are the ones who spoil him, he quickly changed his tune. The first few weeks Tango would bite me hard, drawing blood and squawk profanities at me. He would run towards fingers and attempt to bite them off. He would pick at my freckles and moles and try to remove them with a surgeon's precision and if I put my hand up towards him, I would get bit anywhere just to let me know that he could find all the soft tender spots in a moment's notice. I thought I would never make progress. (Sidenote: I continued to search for Tangos owners, because he was a demonic creature that wanted to open my jugular. Yet, someone must be missing him. No luck.)
After reading countless blogs on this forum, and click training Tango, he is now a great companion and tells me when he wants to where his human sweater (have me wrap my hands around his body) then suddenly decides he doesnt want me to touch him and let me know with a nip and a squawk.
2 weeks ago there was a bird show at my local fairgrounds. My daughter and I decided to go and get some toys and treats for our Tango. (You may already see where this going, I know I should have). There was this one breeder there with a few GCC. He told us they were babies, 12 weeks, but had not handled. In my mind I'm thinking "one bird is enough, dont do it", but the devil on the other shoulder (that sounded alot like my daughters voice) said do it, "you got Tango to behave, you can train this one too". $140 and a few unsavory comments from my husband later, I had a new Pineapple GCC, Tiki.
Here's where is gets tricky. Tango was already a "People" bird, so I didn't have to work with him too much, he ran to the door to get out and wanted to be near people. Tiki only knows other birds and wants nothing to do with me. Not only that but Tiki is covered in pin feathers just like Tango. How could Tiki possibly be 3 months old and molting already? Is it possible or did i buy and older bird that has never had human contact beside being stuffed into a travel cage? Now i find i have my work cut out for me. (Sidenote: Tiki and Tango are in separate cage and will remain so. I dont know the sexes of either birds.)
Today Tiki are some apple out of my hand and I feel like we have made a small step. Any other suggestions? Anyone have any success training a "Bird's" bird?

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
:welave:Look up Barbara Heidenreich and read up on this site. Good luck!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Hi and welcome to the forum. :welave:

How could Tiki possibly be 3 months old and molting already?
I think typically it is around 8 months old when they start molting, when they hit adult hood. Does your bird have a leg band? Some times the bands will have the hatch year on it so you might be able to tell at least what year your baby hatched.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you, Tango, and Kiwi! :)

Kiwi might accept "training"...but you never know...he might remain an independent little soul. ;)

I like my birds to have that independent streak and not to be overly reliant on people..it's kind of a fine line, and everyone has their own opinion on how attached they want their birds to be to people...:D

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome! You sound like our kind of gal!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Image00010~2.jpg