• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New parolette owner

DomLepts

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dominique lepts
Hi, I'm due to get my first parolette this week (hopefully) and I'm used to keeping budgies. I was wondering if anybody has any good tips and advice for me? I have been researching a few months now in preparation. It's parent raised not hand reared. I noticed there are not many uk groups on Facebook like there is fkr other species of birds.

Thank you in advance I look forward to your replies.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Best advice is to go the birds speed, parrotlets are wonderful sassy and Bitey (enjoyed how @Gigibirds described them) little bird who think they are big amazons in my opinion lol but they are the sweetest bird once they warm up.

DomLepts

Real Name
Dominique lepts
Best advice is to go the birds speed, parrotlets are wonderful sassy and Bitey (enjoyed how @Gigibirds described them) little bird who think they are big amazons in my opinion lol but they are the sweetest bird once they warm up.
Thank you. I'm really excited to start our little journey. I will just take things slow but still interacting and spending time next to her. Hopefully she will take to me.

Gigibirds

Aww congratulations on your very first p'let!! This was how I described the difference between Parrotlets and Lovebirds (behaviour - not looks) I know that it's not about parrotlets vs parakeets but still, it might help you understand your p'let's attitude. Good luck taming him/her - parent raised birds are trickier, but once you've tamed it then he will be your best friend!! Congrats again!! (I love it when more people get parrotlets :laugh:)

This is how I could compare a Parrotlet to a Lovebird:
From my experience, Parrotlets are smaller and more bitey. They are far more sassy with much more attitude! That being said, they are also goofier, funnier and sweeter than Lovebirds! P'lets are sweet little clowns once they accept you. But before that they can be VERY flighty, bitey and not so much fun. My lovebirds were harder to tame, but they do not bite as much! Also, from my experience, lovebirds need a friend to be truly happy, but my p'let hates all other birds. Oh, and that reminds me - my lovebirds like people in general, but my p'let is very opinionated. You need to have long hair (preferably curly) and be a female human for her to like you! But, if there are no girls around then she will sometimes decide to accept the guys in my family!
So pretty much Parrotlets are smaller, biteyer (idk how to spell that, sorry) and pickier, but they are a lot more fun as a single bird.
Lovebirds tend to need a bird friend, they make nicer noises, but they can be difficult to tame and they aren't as cuddly.

I would recommend a p'let to anyone who wants just one bird, and a lovebird to anyone who already has birds or want to have multiple birds. My other birds have to live outside because Pistache can't stand not being the only indoor bird :roflmao:

DomLepts

Real Name
Dominique lepts
Aww congratulations on your very first p'let!! This was how I described the difference between Parrotlets and Lovebirds (behaviour - not looks) I know that it's not about parrotlets vs parakeets but still, it might help you understand your p'let's attitude. Good luck taming him/her - parent raised birds are trickier, but once you've tamed it then he will be your best friend!! Congrats again!! (I love it when more people get parrotlets :laugh:)

This is how I could compare a Parrotlet to a Lovebird:
From my experience, Parrotlets are smaller and more bitey. They are far more sassy with much more attitude! That being said, they are also goofier, funnier and sweeter than Lovebirds! P'lets are sweet little clowns once they accept you. But before that they can be VERY flighty, bitey and not so much fun. My lovebirds were harder to tame, but they do not bite as much! Also, from my experience, lovebirds need a friend to be truly happy, but my p'let hates all other birds. Oh, and that reminds me - my lovebirds like people in general, but my p'let is very opinionated. You need to have long hair (preferably curly) and be a female human for her to like you! But, if there are no girls around then she will sometimes decide to accept the guys in my family!
So pretty much Parrotlets are smaller, biteyer (idk how to spell that, sorry) and pickier, but they are a lot more fun as a single bird.
Lovebirds tend to need a bird friend, they make nicer noises, but they can be difficult to tame and they aren't as cuddly.

I would recommend a p'let to anyone who wants just one bird, and a lovebird to anyone who already has birds or want to have multiple birds. My other birds have to live outside because Pistache can't stand not being the only indoor bird :roflmao:
Thank you for your reply. My budgies well I say mine they are my two boys are more interested in each other than they are us but they still have us in stitches will step up and take snacks from us but not keen on being petted. But the new little one will be mine ha ha my husband can stay away she will be my friend ha ha. My hair is a bit long so fingers crossed. I've read alot that they are more bitey but don't draw blood (phew) I work from home permanently now so lots of bonding time. Just spoken to the breeder I am picking her up this Saturday. Its a 40 min trip home so I'm best taking a cage with me armt I with food water and some toys.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
. I've read alot that they are more bitey but don't draw blood (phew)
I would agree lightly, only because it is possible if they get very angry or interested lol. My father in law has tattoos on his knuckles and my little girl wanted to play with them and she bite so hard he was bleeding. Not trying to scare you but it is a possibility. I’ve only experienced this once and only once!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes to a travel cage. I would be more inclined to put some fresh cucumber, melon or other fruit/veg with a high water content in the travel cage; water in a bowl will just spill out. I would not add in toys unless they screw to the side of the cage. You don't want a hanging toy to swing with the vehicle's movement and hit the bird. 40 minutes isn't that long.

DomLepts

Real Name
Dominique lepts
Yes to a travel cage. I would be more inclined to put some fresh cucumber, melon or other fruit/veg with a high water content in the travel cage; water in a bowl will just spill out. I would not add in toys unless they screw to the side of the cage. You don't want a hanging toy to swing with the vehicle's movement and hit the bird. 40 minutes isn't that long.
Thank you. That's a really good idea with the cucumber and melon. I'll make sure to do that. I have got a medium cage or a hamster cage which do you think would be best? It's probably a daft question really. But I just want it to be as stress free as possible for the little one.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you take photos of the two options you have and post them, or post links to them? Ideally a travel cage is quite small - you want to limit movement because if the car has to brake suddenly, you don't want the bird to be flung about. Parrotlets are tiny so you need something with narrow bar spacing. I believe @Zara uses the tiny crappy cages sold for small birds as travel cages.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I believe @Zara uses the tiny crappy cages sold for small birds as travel cages.
Yes, I used to use a bag. Which was great for hikes, but not great for vet visits. Very awkward for the vet to get the birds in and out. So I went and bought a small cage (people actually house finches/canaries in there around here :( ) :
travelling.jpg Trav2.jpg It actually came with a plastic perch, and a rubbish plastic swing. So I changed the perch before using it, and spent a w hile bending the bars at the doors to be sure it was all secure. I use a clip to hold the door closed. I put either a teaspoon of seed or a chunk of millet in one of the plastic tubs. I take the other empty in my bag incase something happens and I can´t get home, or there´s a long wait at the vet so I can put water in it.
travel.jpg

I originally had a larger cage for travelling, I also used it as a nursery but I gave it away to a friend;
travel2.jpg

When choosing a travel cage, remember, for those vet visits, you don´t want it too large, because if your bird is sick or injured, it´s best they stay as still as possible. You can see my first bird perched the whole ride, and the second, I put a teatowel down for her and she sat the whole ride.

To add, when my friend would bring me her birds for birdsitting, the drive was two hours on the motorway so she would use bungee cords as well as the seatbelt to secure those cages and be sure they did not budge.

Reactions: tka