• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Owner with safe wood question

Anubis0807

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Orlando
Hello all,
I am soon to get a baby sun conure and I'm very excited and happy that I found a resource of info from this site. I think I'm getting this all down but was thinking of using a newly cut down pear tree to home make some perches and stands but am not able to find a reliable information on if it would be safe. Any advice would help. Thank you.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
The wood should come from a place that is far from a freeway so as to assure no toxicity in the plant. You also want a plant that has never been sprayed with pesticides as the plants will soak it up and it will never get rid of it. So kind of assure whatever you use, you are super sure the the plant has been not sprayed with anything or been near a heavy road.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA & congrats on getting the baby sun conure. When will he/she be coming home with you?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Fruit trees are safe and usually a good hard wood because they are weight bearing trees. As long as they weren't sprayed with pesticide. If not wash it well, cook it in the sun for a week and it's good to go.

Anubis0807

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Orlando
Welcome to AA & congrats on getting the baby sun conure. When will he/she be coming home with you?
I should be getting my Petrie in mid February, in the process of getting all the supplies I will need to keep her entertained and healthy. I just got the cage in today as a matter of fact.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran