• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner of GCCs

Redroversis

Moving in
Real Name
Carisa
I am a new, first time owner of a pair of sister green cheeks that were given to me. They are about 4-5 years old. The couple that had them, one of them was allergic, and the other began working all the time so they just didn't have the time to spend with them that the girls deserved. I am disabled and home all the time. I love animals in general, and have fallen head-over-heels in LOVE with MANGO and KIWI in the 6 days that I have had them now. They are adjusting pretty well so far. They were on a primarily seed diet. I am working on weaning them off of that and have introduced Zupreem pellets, lots of variety in fresh veggies and fruits, all to which they have taken to like little piglets! My only let down is that they will not let me touch them. I would love any and all advise as to help me bond with them. Thanks ahead of time!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Time and patience, lots of out time, go at their pace. Rhoma didn't take long at all (previous owner handled her with leather gloves that terrified her). Rhema is still very hand shy, after 2 years, but has moments where she wants the attention. Those moments are becoming a little more frequent, but I have to read her body language. She has even been stepping up the last week!
Do they take treats from your hands yet?

Redroversis

Moving in
Real Name
Carisa
The one, Kiwi, who was labeled "mean" will take treats and will come up to my face while in cage, but as soon as I slowly bring my hand up she flees to the back of the cage. I see no "mean" in either bird, just lack of trust. Mango, the "friendly" one stays at the back of the cage whenever I approach, but comes forward for my husband but will not take treats from him and KIWI will go to the back. *shrugs* I love them both and if it takes forever, or even never happens, I will love them and enjoy the heck out of them! They deserve it!! Such beauties!!

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
The only time Bird even considers biting me is when I am feeding him or trying to give him a treat. Or adding a new treat stick or toy to his perch. (He bites everyone else as often as possible, however)

Now this may be an exception, not a rule. But I think it is worth mentioning. It may be just Bird, but i beleive birds may get confused with the exchange of things they want. I am no expert. And often wrong about everything.

Just an observation which might help. Not a contradiction to any other advise or opinions. (Definately not criticism.)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
My secret "weapon" with Rupert is juice. (Just squeeze their favorite juice in to a container) I have a little syringe and I've gotten him used to getting a lick or dribble of juice as a reward for doing various things. For petting; try introducing a paper straw and get them used to it being near them. Then try touching a cheek with it. Reward as needed. Once they get used to getting attention with the straw, try getting them used to sitting on your hand or having your hand/fingers near them. Progress to touching a cheek with a finger.

Another tip: I rub my fingers together as a way of "asking" if they want head rubs. If they want them, they'll lower their head a little and poof up their head.

Lesley Yeung

Real Name
Lesley
Excellent suggestion Peachfaced has. Bird is very hand tamed and almost demands preening. And chases us around the house when we're not paying him enough attention. And he isn't food or treat motivated.

The juice in the syringe is an excellent idea though! Might have to teach Bird a new trick.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Excellent suggestion Peachfaced has. Bird is very hand tamed and almost demands preening. And chases us around the house when we're not paying him enough attention. And he isn't food or treat motivated.

The juice in the syringe is an excellent idea though! Might have to teach Bird a new trick.
He was afraid of the syringe for maybe 2 minutes. Once he realized it was juice, he was eager for more. He will now sit on my hand even as I walk around. He was very very fearful of hands when I brought him home. He's been here less than 2 weeks. Progress! Take it one step at a time and go with the bird's pace.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
They have to learn to trust you. Drop a treat in their bowls or on a flat perch every time you walk by the cage. let them see you hold it. Offer to let them come get it first and if they don't want to take it from your hand, then drop it in the bowl or on the perch. They will get the idea after awhile. If you and your husband both do it, they will both figure out that neither means any harm and start trusting.

Redroversis

Moving in
Real Name
Carisa
I took a big leap of faith last night. I left their cage door open and sat down in my usual seat to watch. KIWI (the mean one hahaha) slowly came forward, explored the open door for a bit, then decided to come out. She made her way to the floor and got about half way to me. Her little claws getting stuck on the carpet, I slowly went over to her and scooped her gently up. She got on my finger and chirped softly to me as if to say "thank you" I brought my hand to my shoulder and she climbed on. She sat there for a good hour licking my cheek and picking my hair. Even posing for pics my husband took!!! I could have just burst!!! The best moment EVER!!!! ❤❤❤

MANGO climbed out of the cage, and got on top, but when my husband went near she slipped back into the cage. She is more timid and will probably take more time. That's ok. It's a start!! I'm so excited!!!!

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Awe!! Great leap!! Share the pictures??

Lesley Yeung

Real Name
Lesley
When Bird first entered our lives, he had masking take stuck to his feathers from the autrocious way he was "caged". My husband was so afraid to handle him. But Bird was so willing to be helped that i was able to douse him in olive oil and remove the tape and sticky from his feathers.

Bird seemed to know he
A) needed help
B) i was trying to help

I had zero experience with birds, but i have a lot with other animals. But he trusted me immediately. Probably because I was his only option.

Redroversis

Moving in
Real Name
Carisa

When Bird first entered our lives, he had masking take stuck to his feathers from the autrocious way he was "caged". My husband was so afraid to handle him. But Bird was so willing to be helped that i was able to douse him in olive oil and remove the tape and sticky from his feathers.

Bird seemed to know he
A) needed help
B) i was trying to help

I had zero experience with birds, but i have a lot with other animals. But he trusted me immediately. Probably because I was his only option.

Oh my goodness! That's awful! I'm glad he had you to trust and take care of him!!