• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner of eclectus

Mlong

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Melissa
Hi everyone, I was given a female eclectus, when I got her she had very dull feathers, and a musty smell. I took her to my vet, they trimmed her nails and beak and gave her a once over. I've read to feed fresh fruits and vegetables but she won't eat anything I offer her.. all she eats is a commercial feed called tropical carnival.. she's always rubbing her beak on stuff, scratching and messing in her feathers.. she's very quiet. she comes out of her cage anytime she wants to.. (which the people who previously owned her didn't get her out only to clean cage)..
She acts nothing like my other bird he's active, talks and wants to try whatever I'm eating.
Any advise on this breed would be helpful

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It will take time. Lots of time. If you can tell what she favors in that blend, you can start to use that to your advantage. Definitely provide a good mix of fresh items even though she doesn't show interest. She probably doesn't think of it as food, and new things can be scary for a long time. Don't assume she doesn't like things, just keep trying. Eating in front of her can be very helpful. Warm food can help. Sharing meals even if you have to use the mix she likes will go a long way to building a bond and maybe trying new foods. Same thing for toys and activities. Diet changes are critical to her long term health, so don't give up! The species is so very unique. Read everything you can.

@mythic55 , @EkkieLu

Mlong

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Melissa
It will take time. Lots of time. If you can tell what she favors in that blend, you can start to use that to your advantage. Definitely provide a good mix of fresh items even though she doesn't show interest. She probably doesn't think of it as food, and new things can be scary for a long time. Don't assume she doesn't like things, just keep trying. Eating in front of her can be very helpful. Warm food can help. Sharing meals even if you have to use the mix she likes will go a long way to building a bond and maybe trying new foods. Same thing for toys and activities. Diet changes are critical to her long term health, so don't give up! The species is so very unique. Read everything you can.

@mythic55 , @EkkieLu
Thanks for info greatly appreciate you taking the time to share

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
You're welcome. I have lots of trial and error things in the Monaco monologues thread, and there's so much information on the site all over the place. I have found ideas in almost every species section and lots in the behavior byway. Lately our resident ekkie folks seem to be busy elsewhere, one just lost her mother, but you will find plenty of help and suggestions from others too. Keep posting questions, the behavior byway is a good one, bird boulevard, foraging Park, those sections might get more attention in the meantime while we muddling through without the veterans.

I think the most important thing is to keep trying things....the ones that are not working and always add new things into the mix. Take the failures as a "no, not now" rather than a "no, not ever." Birds just take their own time to try things and reserve the right to change their minds frequently! When you are able to catch a glimpse of something that sparks her interest, you can use that to model your next attempt whether it's a new food or toy or activity. Try to be as consistent as possible, and that will help build trust and open her up to more new things. Including her in as much as you can will also go a long way, even if it's just proximity to whatever is going on.

And.... We will all need pictures! Many, many pictures!

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Hi. Maybe she is itchy. How long have you had her and are you coming into spring where you are. She could be moulting and in need of a bath or moisture . A gentle spray , if she is willing may help. The other thing could be her skin needs attention due to her diet not being the best. Can you tell us how long she was with the previous owner and her age please? Also when was she wormed last?
Does she see the other bird eating? She could be scared or just doesn't understand what fresh food is, as Monaco said. Sorry for all the questions. Its easier if we have a bit more to go on. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the avenue Melissa! :starshower1: