• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner of African Grey with missing toes

jbb27

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
James
Hello!

I just brought Stanley home last Sunday and am hoping to get some advice regarding how to best set up his cage. Stanley is 1 1/2 years old and only has two nails on one foot and somewhat of a knob (with slight toes) for the other foot. He seems to get around quite well using his beak and the shop helped me set up his cage in the best way they knew how. He has a few perches, one being a rope type, and a platform.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to make him most comfortable? I worry as he loses his balance quite easily. Other than that, I was also hoping for advice on how to help him come out of the cage more confidently. He will eventually get up on my fingers after pushing my hand away a few times, but is clearly anxious that he will fall. Sometimes he preemptively starts flapping his wings which starts pulling him backwards. Do greys like any type of sling to help them feel more secure? Should I let his wings grow out so he can fly?

Thanks for all the help!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I have a parakeet with balance issues. She can climb around very well, but jumping or flying is out. I recommend lots of platform perches and thick branches that are easy to sit on without falling off.

For exiting the cage safely, perhaps a wide platform perch below the door on the outside. Then he can come out on his own. Ladders and sisal rope can help him climb with his beak and working foot.

I am a strong advocate for fully flighted birds, whenever possible. It is excellent exercise and good for self confidence and independence.

Do you know how he lost his toes?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Hello and welcome! My AG is missing a toe as well! It is a birth defect on her. I would definitely let the wings grow back in and I would actually think that the balance issue may be stemming from the fact that your bird does not have confidence in his wings. Stanley is just the age that would have such a wing-clip related balance issue and the toes are also not helping. Post photos soon, I love seeing other grays!