• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New owner of a baby ekkie. Have questions

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This little guy is a little over a month old. Very easy to feed and takes food from both of us. He's a vigorous eater and doesn't waste any time letting us know he's hungry.

IMG_9781.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This little guy is a little over a month old. Very easy to feed and takes food from both of us. He's a vigorous eater and doesn't waste any time letting us know he's hungry.

View attachment 430848
Oh my gosh he's such a little cutie pie! :heart:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would love to compare notes on the differences between raising boys and girls. I hear so much but nothing compares to first hand experience.

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I really think that it depends on the individual bird, subspecies, environment and how they are treated/how much time you spend with them...

Most of what I've read on the internet says female ekkies are aggressive, don't talk as much as males, don't make good pets etc.

In terms of first hand experience, the only real challenge we've had is feedings. There may be other factors involved (in my instance) but I think they are just slower eaters too, having seen in some YouTube videos too.

I've also started teaching Luna to step up and some touch training. I've watched some videos as well that shows that females aren't that interested and may take more time to train. This is the case with Luna, once I give her a treat, she gets so excited and chirpy, she forgets what we are doing and takes forever to eat her treat. In general me and my partner have to spend a lot of time with her to build the trust between us.

Now she cries for attention and even screams for our conure to come sit on her cage. (He is scared of her because she's a bit bigger than him but he is also lonely) They regularly talk to each other and just the other day it sounded like she was trying to say her name.

I've had no issues with aggression, besides the odd strike when reaching into her cage. I'd say this is normal behaviour as most birds would prefer a walk-in cage as walking into a cage can seem less threatening than reaching into a cage.

She is very timid, she likes to be held and cuddled and is wanting more and more attention. I don't have a male that I compare my first hand experiences. I would say it would be best to compare with ekkies from the same clutch to get a real understanding.

How many eggs did your pair lay?

Your male looks absolutely stunning and ready to start his world domination.

The YouTube channel BirdTricks has a handful videos with ekkies where I have made some observations.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
A little late here but my boy is weaned at had a wellness exam and microchip. He’s a sweet boy and today he discovered how loud he could be. When the vet put him in a towel he screamed and then looked around the room like the noise scared him. He’s been toweled before to get his nails done but he doesn’t seem fond of women so that might be the issue.

IMG_0591.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A little late here but my boy is weaned at had a wellness exam and microchip. He’s a sweet boy and today he discovered how loud he could be. When the vet put him in a towel he screamed and then looked around the room like the noise scared him. He’s been toweled before to get his nails done but he doesn’t seem fond of women so that might be the issue.

View attachment 433320
Ooh he's such a handsome lad! :heart:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
He is beautiful :cool:

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason

View attachment 433320
Wow he is stunning. How old is he now?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He hatched the first part of May so he’s around 4 months old.

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I love his green and the blue on the edges of his feathers